RV and Camping Vehicle Dealerships?

DannyW

I have wondered about this my entire adult life, and thought someone here might be able to explain it to me...

Yesterday I went past one of those RV dealerships...it was on 985 near Oakwood, you have probably seen it. As usual they have acres and acres of new RV's sitting on the lot. Must be 200-300 total vehicles. Maybe more...it's hard to count doing 70 MPH down the highway. And I know those things cost $30,000 - $100,000 each. Some of them, probably a lot more than that.

In my life I have known a grand total of two people who bought a RV camper. So I know that this is not a high volume business. Not even close to the volume of car dealerships. My question is this...how do they stay in business with such huge inventory cost and extremely low sales?

I have always wondered if RV dealerships are just a front for money laundering?

cullyhog

RV's are like cars. Most manufacturers floor plan the units and charge the dealer interest only. They make their money on service and parts. Most of those units start at 100K if motorized and go to over a million.

3ringer

I have wondered about this my entire adult life, and thought someone here might be able to explain it to me...

Yesterday I went past one of those RV dealerships...it was on 985 near Oakwood, you have probably seen it. As usual they have acres and acres of new RV's sitting on the lot. Must be 200-300 total vehicles. Maybe more...it's hard to count doing 70 MPH down the highway. And I know those things cost $30,000 - $100,000 each. Some of them, probably a lot more than that.

In my life I have known a grand total of two people who bought a RV camper. So I know that this is not a high volume business. Not even close to the volume of car dealerships. My question is this...how do they stay in business with such huge inventory cost and extremely low sales?

I have always wondered if RV dealerships are just a front for money laundering?

It may surprise you how many they sale. The rv industry is very strong and growing. I have bought several over the years. I bought one new one and the rest were used. Their resale value is terrible. I doubt I will ever purchase new again .

Oldstick

I agree with 3Ringer.

A lot of the RV dealerships are indeed very large, but if I am not mistaken, there are relatively few dealers overall as compared to auto dealerships. So divide the inventories of the RV dealers over the population of GA or the Southeast and it makes more sense.

For example, there are 3 large dealerships near I-75 in Byron. I think another one in Macon that is not as large but has been in business many, many years. But to my knowledge those are pretty much it for the whole Macon/Middle GA area. The ones near the interstate are there for a reason. They know they need the multi-state market to survive.

blondiega1

It may surprise you how many they sale. The rv industry is very strong and growing. I have bought several over the years. I bought one new one and the rest were used. Their resale value is terrible. I doubt I will ever purchase new again .

Yes it is. In 2016 the industry was up over 15% from 2015.
It's harder and harder to find a camping spot on short notice. We are sure to always book far ahead.

We love our coach. And we accept that we camp in style! :lol:

394827_zpszqznhkao.jpg

T-N-T

I'm on my second new travel trailer in 3 years and 4th camper in 6 years.
I'm done buying for a while but just worked up fast after seeing we used the camper a lot

Camping is Yuge right now. Campgrounds are full all the time. And I plan holiday weekends up to six months out as a result.

I see campers in people's yards All the time. Everywhere I look. It's a serious growing trend in my opinion

Bama B

Its insane how many RV sell everyday. I am a longtime Camper and the last couple of years it has become almost impossible to get reservations at any campground without a couple of months notice. I remember deciding on a Thursday to camp for the weekend and finding empty sites. Not Anymore. And if you want a holiday site you better reserve the year before. And the biggest thing is this Tiny Home trend and young full time campers.

Oldstick

Long time camper also and I have noticed an increase the last 30 years or so.

Holiday weekends, yes, you probably need to reserve at least several months in advance for the most popular parks. But most weekdays (and most weekend, it is still wide open at any of the GA state parks we typically visit.

Of course mileage varies drastically depending on location, nice coastal or beach side parks will definitely be booked up far in advance. Also the nicer mountain parks during summer or fall, etc.

A lot of the big RVs are being purchased by wealthy fans for special purposes such as college sports, NASCAR races, special events etc.

So it kind of depends on your definition of "camping". I would wager most anyone seeking to camp with a backpack and tent could find spots anywhere 365 days a year.

WayneB

Yes it is. In 2016 the industry was up over 15% from 2015.
It's harder and harder to find a camping spot on short notice. We are sure to always book far ahead.

We love our coach. And we accept that we camp in style! :lol:

I still miss my American coach. I traded up for 7-8 years to get into it, then '08 hit.
Was paid for, but couldn't afford to insure it, and sold it.
heartbrokeded...

blondiega1

I still miss my American coach. I traded up for 7-8 years to get into it, then '08 hit.
Was paid for, but couldn't afford to insure it, and sold it.
heartbrokeded...

:(

We love ours. Had we owned in in '08 we may have been in a similar situation to yours. There was a few tough years there.
It's hardly roughing it, but I love sitting outside listening to the sounds of the woods. :)

marknga

GONetwork Member
I have been in the RV Business for 17 years now, all at one dealership here in Byron.
RV ownership is at an all time high right now and the forecast is strong for the next 3 years. We sell 80+ units a month, anything from small travel trailers to 40' Class A diesels.

RV'ers are the best customers. They are fun loving, friendly folks, just good "folks". Nobody has to have an rv, it is the bonus in life. And you don't have to go far, most rv'ers will tell you the best trips are often right down the road. Just get out of the house, let the awning out and chill. Where don't really matter just do it.
If I can ever be of help feel free to shoot me a message. Over the years I have helped several woodyites.
Mark

WayneB

I have been in the RV Business for 17 years now, all at one dealership here in Byron.
RV ownership is at an all time high right now and the forecast is strong for the next 3 years. We sell 80+ units a month, anything from small travel trailers to 40' Class A diesels.

RV'ers are the best customers. They are fun loving, friendly folks, just good "folks". Nobody has to have an rv, it is the bonus in life. And you don't have to go far, most rv'ers will tell you the best trips are often right down the road. Just get out of the house, let the awning out and chill. Where don't really matter just do it.
If I can ever be of help feel free to shoot me a message. Over the years I have helped several woodyites.
Mark

What brands ya'll carry? I'm on the hunt to replace/upgrade my 32 foot TT to a new 4 season unit.

jigman29

I have a 28' camper and havent used it in years. I hate the hassle myself. I grew up camping in the woods and the campgrounds are a little busy for my taste. But honestly the worst part for me is having to set up the camper at the lake then drive home and get the boat and then when its over having to do it all again.

blondiega1

Mark

I hope it's not the dealership we visited in Bryon.
Salesperson tried to tell us that we'd pay $100,000 more to order from the factory instead of buying the Tour he had on the lot.
Also, I had repeatedly called to say we wanted to see the Tour and an American Coach they had on the lot. I made it perfectly clear that we wanted to test drive both AND I even texted the salesperson several times on the drive down to Byron that we were on the way and what time we would be there.
Get there and neither coach is out ready to be looked at more less test drove.
We bought our American Coach elsewhere.

marknga

GONetwork Member
Salesperson tried to tell us that we'd pay $100,000 more to order from the factory instead of buying the Tour he had on the lot.
Also, I had repeatedly called to say we wanted to see the Tour and an American Coach they had on the lot. I made it perfectly clear that we wanted to test drive both AND I even texted the salesperson several times on the drive down to Byron that we were on the way and what time we would be there.

So sorry to hear about the poor treatment you received. We don't carry the American coaches. They are beautiful vehicles indeed.
If I can ever be of any assistance please let me know.
Mark

Oldstick

It is spelled Byron, GA by the way, and I seriously doubt it could have been Mid-State RV where MarknGA works. I am familiar with them from small purchases (no RV purchases) over the years and they are a long time family business. Always treated like family, even when purchasing a $5 item.

DannyW

Sales of 960+ per year - wow! I would have guessed 4-5 units a month was cause for celebration.

Like I said, I know a total of two people who bought an RV - and only one of them was positively a new unit...the other one may have been used, I just don't recall. How I have lived 60 years, with the outdoors as my #1 hobby, and only known two people who bought an RV - that's the new mystery.

I must be living under a rock...

Question asked and question answered...thanks for the input.

blondiega1

It is spelled Byron, GA by the way, and I seriously doubt it could have been Mid-State RV where MarknGA works. I am familiar with them from small purchases (no RV purchases) over the years and they are a long time family business. Always treated like family, even when purchasing a $5 item.

Whoops! Typo on my part. Thanks for so graciously pointing it out.
It was not Mid-State RV. :) I don't believe they are an American Coach dealer. I could be wrong, however. It does happen on occasion.

Oldstick

I apologize, BlondieGa. I really don't know why I suddenly felt the need to correct what I knew was a simple typo. I just blurted it out and I didn't mean any offense. I can understand it probably came across that way, and I should be more careful before hitting "send".

My main point was to put in a good word for the one RV dealer in Byron that I am familiar with, and I am glad to hear that your bad experience did not come from them.

:flag:

Latest posts