Question about Georgia hunting license purchases...

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I guess it was about a decade or a little more ago when Georgia went from having a calendar license year to licenses that were good for one year from their purchase date.
Since this point in time, I have not renewed my license early, because I figure if I buy a new license one month before I mine is expired, then I lose the 30 days remaining on my license and I'm running on a license that is good for one year since I purchased it. If I do this one month early over the course of 12 years, I have purchased 13 yearly licenses for 12 years worth of hunting and fishing.
Figuring that I would rather purchase 11 licenses and 12 years, I have been waiting as long as possible after my license expires to renew it. Sometimes a few days, sometimes a few weeks after.
Am I wrong? Would the new license I purchase before my remaining one is expired be good FROM THE ENDING DATE of my previous license for another year?

Backlasher82

The license expires 1 year from date of purchase, it doesn't matter when the old one expires.

1eyefishing

The license expires 1 year from date of purchase, it doesn't matter when the old one expires.

That is what I thought, and that would be my complaint to the state. It proves that my scradegy is correct.
I wonder how many deer are turned into the processor or accounted for on the state's electronic tag system on the same day that a license is purchased?
I wonder how much money the state is losing to people like me who would rather purchase 11 licenses in 12 years than 13?

660griz

I like this system. This way, I get 12 months out of a license. If I bought a license in June on the calendar year system, I would have to buy another before turkey season. Now, I don't have to worry about a license until I need one and then I know it is valid for 12 months.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I just went ahead and bought a lifetime right after they came out.
I don't have to worry or hassle with buying them.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
day before bow season for me. those are good questions you raise though

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist

This is actually incorrect. If you purchase a license before your existing license expires, the starting date for the new license will begin the day following the expiration of the current license. You also receive a discount for renewing early.

1eyefishing

Here, here! That is the answer I was looking for. And better yet it came from the member I was looking for. Thanks.

DannyW

I just went ahead and bought a lifetime right after they came out.
I don't have to worry or hassle with buying them.

Here, here...me too. I went on the very first day they were available and bought the license...mine is number 480. As I recall, back then you could do it through the mail, or drive somewhere downtown and do it in person. I drove to get mine before they changed their minds.

I think this was back around 1995, so over the last 20 years or so I bet I have saved at least $1,000.

GA native

Your math is right, I do the same thing. And considering that I am restricted to public land, the license is only valid for about seven months out of the year.

Though the lifetime license, that others suggested, would be cheapest overall.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
This is actually incorrect. If you purchase a license before your existing license expires, the starting date for the new license will begin the day following the expiration of the current license. You also receive a discount for renewing early.

Does this apply to out of state? And for a guy intersted in this discount- when is a good time to look for them to be made available?

1eyefishing

dixiecutter, from my experience the $2.75 discount on the $60 Sportsman license is available online for online renewals. I don't know if it applies to out-of-staters, I'm guessing it does. And also guessing it is for online renewals only.
They usually send me an email about a month before my license is to expire, which brought up the original question.:flag:

Oldstick

Speaking of licenses, anyone know if they for certain passed and signed into law the new increased prices? And exactly when do the new prices take effect, if so?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Speaking of licenses, anyone know if they for certain passed and signed into law the new increased prices? And exactly when do the new prices take effect, if so?

Starts July 1