For you Farmers

Deerman

Well actually from anyone who knows, I see some fields/gardens for the road sometimes as I ride by and I don't see the first weed, just what they planted and clean dirt rows in between them, I tried round up before and still have more weeds the plants, I only have a small garden but trying to find out what some are doing to eliminate most weeds, I know it's too late now but trying to get a head start for next planting season.

basstrkr

Weedless

My best answer wold be to say go to a local Feed and Seed store and talk to the owner/manager. To become weedless is a multiple step process. Roundup kills what is growing, pre-emergents gets thing before they sprout but this is just the beginning of the story.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Fields are probably planted with Round-up ready GMO crops so that after they come up they can be sprayed with chemicals.

Hay fields, I sprayed mine this Feb/March with chemicals to get rid of weeds and a pre-emergent to keep them from coming back.

Garden: Mr.Hoe

GA native

It's not too late. You got to get out there, most everyday, and hoe the rows. An hour per day, for the next ten days, will do much to knock back the weeds.

If your garden plot was a lawn last year, then yes, you will be overrun with weeds. All of the seed from what was there last year is germinating. It will take a few seasons of maintaining that garden before the weeds are knocked back. And even then, you will have to get out there every week, and pull weeds that the wind and birds carry in.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Black plastic over the entire garden spot for a summer will kill any weeds and most of the remaining seeds on the top 2 inches.
I put landscape fabric down with hay over it.Minimal weeds. also cardboard works also.

Stroker

If you can find some Enide (diphenamid) and apply it according to the label it is very effective at controlling many of the common grasses and weeds found home in gardens. It can easily be applied with a two gallon sprayer.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Rolling cultivators.

And black plastic cover on the row beds.

Not to mention the different pre emerge and post emerge herbicides as well as GMO crops resistant to glyphosate.

Plant your rows far enough apart where you can run the tiller through it. Plant all your crops close together like a hedge row.

grouper throat

Plow/Till, wrap/ground cover, Glyphosate (Roundup) and a good long lasting pre-emergent, starting with mostly sterile soil (from first steps), it's a process to have a nearly weed-free environment. I battle them year around in my nursery but mine looks better than most I have seen. GMOs (RR) are what you want to plant if you hate the weeds.

Killdee

Tilling it up a few times before planting helps. If you have the room, leave room to plant the middles and how between plants. I don't have the room and mulch my middles. Plow it under after, I usually keep something growing year round or it's covered with leaves and composted stuff.

swamp hunter

I live in a 6000 Acre Vegetable Farm.
Black plastic on hills with 50 cent size holes to plant in.
The plants won't get much water with the plastic so do Drip irrigation..it's quite easy and pretty cheap.
I gave up a home garden cause I got tired of pulling weeds in 93 degrees..just started climbin the fence into the Farm when I needed a couple maters or bell peppers...