Help with chain saw??????

Big7

The Oracle
Ran it two weeks ago. Like a scalded dog.
Can't get it running.

Cleaned plug and it is firing when grounded to the head.

Can't even get it to "pop" on choke.

Primer bubble is getting fuel.

Got a lot down with the pole saw, to big to drag to the road, need
to know what to do?

Haven't made any adjustments to the carb, etc.

Gas line is going to be replaced.

Can't understand why? The bubble primes fine,
got plenty of spark.

Tried to crank it with starting fluid, sprayed the carb
good. Been cleaning / flushing for two days. :banginghe

90 proof rec gas.

Poulan Pro, 34CC.

Help much appreciated!

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Change the plug. It maybe fouled out. Even if showing fire.
Do u smell gas like flooded. Float maybe stuck.

rospaw

My thought was the on/off switch but you said the plug fired when grounded.
Pull plug, pull the starter rope 3=4 times to clear out cyl, spray a small shot of starting fluid in plug hole, quickly screw plug back in, plug plug wire back on, SWITCH IN ON, pull it with choke off and no accelerating and see if it hits/starts.

Done this dozens of times!

Big7

The Oracle
My thought was the on/off switch but you said the plug fired when grounded.
Pull plug, pull the starter rope 3=4 times to clear out cyl, spray a small shot of starting fluid in plug hole, quickly screw plug back in, plug plug wire back on, SWITCH IN ON, pull it with choke off and no accelerating and see if it hits/starts.

Done this dozens of times!

Tried that with the plug I cleaned. Used pure gas and a few slow strokes to blow cylinder out. Did the same with carb cleaner and starting fluid. Several times.

Bought a new NGK plug.. Still no workie'..

Make sure a dirt dobber didn't clog the muffler.

Didn't think about that.
Try in the morning. Good Idea.

The fact that it was running fine 2 weeks ago has me :huh::huh:

Backlasher82

Tried that with the plug I cleaned. Used pure gas and a few slow strokes to blow cylinder out. Did the same with carb cleaner and starting fluid. Several times.

Didn't think about that.

Try cranking it with the choke off and the throttle wide open, it may be flooded.

Jack Ryan

When you pull the plug to change it, hold the saw upside down with the plug out to see if any fuel runs out the hole. If so, you flooded it. Let it all drip out upside down. Leave the choke off while you pull the cord a few times. Put in a fresh plug and pull it a couple times.

In warm weather should should never need to pull it more than once with the choke on to start it, if you need the choke at all.

rospaw

Didn't think about that.

Re check that you are getting fire to the plug like you did before grounded to the head.
It only needs fuel, air and spark to hit/run.
I'm back to coil or on/off switch

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
gotta have compression too. If it happened all the sudden, and a new sparkplug didn't fix it,I would check the muffler to verify it is exhausting, and I would take a compression test.

Ajohnson0587

Take it to a small engine mechanic/Lawn equipment mechanic, it will be cheaper then throwing parts at it hoping to fix it. There may be internal damage to the engine (burned valve, crack or hole in piston, etc..) and they can tell you up front instead of you throwing parts at it.

Big7

The Oracle
Took it to the shop early this morning.

Also took my late Father's smaller one just
because it was his and we try to keep all his stuff in working order.

They pulled it a few times and said compression was good on both.

Told me a carb kit for both were in order.

Thanks GON members for the replies and the help! :cheers:

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Took it to the shop early this morning.

Also took my late Father's smaller one just
because it was his and we try to keep all his stuff in working order.

They pulled it a few times and said compression was good on both.

Told me a carb kit for both were in order.

Thanks GON members for the replies and the help! :cheers:

Don't run anything but non-ethanol in ALL small equipment. Ethanol fuel breaks down relatively quickly in small gas tanks. I've gotten a lot of "broken" equipment over the years cause the owners said it wouldn't run. Crab kit is usually always the culprit and it's all due to ethanol.

Big7

The Oracle
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ten fo'...

I use non ethanol 90 in everything small.
And big boat motors.

Have been known to run "regular gas" in 4 stroke
lawn mowers.

NEVER in a 2 stroke..

Good advice for all

Darkhorse

Before you rebuild the carbs try this. Loosen the fuel cap about a turn and a half then try to crank your saw.
The fuel tank must have enough pressure to push the fuel. It gets this pressure from air coming through the fuel cap. If it cranks you can either run it with the cap opened just enough to keep it running or buy a new fuel cap.
Sometimes the cap gets clogged and air can't get by.
I have replaced the caps on my weedeaters and one of my saws.

tad1

I will second making sure the muffler is clean, specifically the spark arrestor screen on the muffler. usually just a plug to wrench off and clean the screen off. My still blower wouldn't crank at all and after much frustration I found a clogged muffler screen. cranked up first pull!

Red dirt clod

Dirt dobber plugged exhaust

Clogged exhaust port from dirt Dobber. This was on the leaf blower, the chainsaw had the same problem your having and ended up putting a new Zama carb on it. Tried rebuilding a couple of times but could never get it right. New carb is cheap and works perfect now.

Attachments

• IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 242