Shoulder problems

I have hurt my shoulder twice in the last couple monthes the first time I went to get out of bed it's was like my arm came out of socket it ground like two rockes scraping together and then pops and shoots like sharp searing pain bad enough to stop everything I'm doing and lay down and today at work I went to sqeeze by sombody and lifted my arms and shoulders and it did it again just as bad as the last had to stop work for a few minutes until the throbbing receids anybody have any idea or somethings simaler happen to them? After it happens it's sore to lift any way for Atleast a week if not more and feels like it's gonna do it again so I don't lift my arm lol

livetohunt

The most common symptoms of a rotator cuff tear include:
Pain at rest and at night, particularly if lying on the affected shoulder.
Pain when lifting and lowering your arm or with specific movements.
Weakness when lifting or rotating your arm.
Crepitus or crackling sensation when moving your shoulder in certain positions.

Cmp1

BANNED
Well,,,, you have to find out what the issue is with it first,,,, once you know exactly what the problem is,,,, then someone can help you with a similar issue,,,,

lbzdually

Banned
Like livetohunt said, the symptoms sound like a rotator cuff tear and if that's what is, there is no magic remedy to fix it other than go to the Dr. asap.

Cmp1

BANNED
It feels like it starts to dislocate then goes back but if I did the same thing a month ago if it was my rotator cuff wouldn't it not get better at all

I guess all I can say is get it looked at asap,,,, I had a dislocated shoulder many years ago and it was the worst pain, especially when the Dr reset it,,,, not fun at all,,,, make time,,,, get to the Dr asap,,,,

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
So what did the doctor say?

dslc6487

Yep, go to your primary physician. He will look at it and probably order some tests. Then when you go back for test results, he will refer you to an Orthopedic Surgeon, who will again run his own tests. Then they will decide to do arthroscopic surgery on your shoulder to "clean up bone fragments, etc.". After that, they will decide that you really need rotator cuff surgery, which they will gladly do. Then you will have to go through about 12 weeks of physical therapy to help you heal and get function of your shoulder. I have had all of this done and I am still in just as much pain as I was the day I walked into my primary care doctors office. My recommendation: Get you an ice pack and put ice on it every evening and live with the pain. Take Ibuprofen or Aleve for the pain. Much cheaper and there is no guarantee at all on the results of surgery on a joint, and, there is always the fear of infertion, serious infertion when surgery is performed. Good luck my friend.

Rick Alexander

Dang

I didn't have anything like that experience. Yes the process was long - they made me try therapy for weeks before the surgery (no clue why - how is therapy going to fix a tear?). Then surgery on the left Rotator cuff - very painful recovery - slept on a recliner for about a week. Then at least 8 weeks of therapy (2 x week average) that cost me 30 bucks my part at each visit. Really took about a year total for absolute full recovery but it's as good as new now. Not long afterwards they ended up doing my right RT - much longer recovery (got frozen shoulder problems). You never realize just how right handed you are until you can't use your dominant hand any longer. Actually had to go a second time to release the shoulder but again after 8 wks therapy and about a year - complete recovery.

I'm a little shy to stress them too much so I haven't taken up my bow still - even after more than 5 years. DO NOT want to go through that again.

MX5HIGH

I would definitely find an orthopedic surgeon. He will probably want to do an MRI to determine the next step. This is nothing to take lightly as I speak from experience.

17 years ago I had what the dr described as a massive tear of my rotator cuff in my right shoulder. I delayed surgery for 6 months which the dr said made the repair more difficult and told me the repair may not last.

Sure enough, 3 years later it tore again. It was so bad the dr said the only option is a reverse shoulder replacement. I don't want any more surgery unless the pain gets unbearable. I get by on cortisone shots and pain meds.

I'm not trying to alarm you. I'm just trying to emphasize the importance of seeing an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in shoulders ASAP. I don't think you want this to get worse.

obadiah

Sounds similar to shoulder subluxation. I have dealt with this issue since high school. Let us know what the doc says.

SC Hunter

I hurt mine at work going into a window to do training and slipped on the seal and boom i hit the floor. When I hit my shoulder was out, we had to put it back in right there on the drill field. I had a partially torn labrum and small tears in my rotator cuff. The therapy was a miserable experience but it helped. I still have some popping and small amounts of pain but its better. Definitely go get it seen about before it gets much worse.

Pat Tria

I agree with JohnK. I've had 4 rotator cuff surgeries and last April had a reverse shoulder replacement.
It sounds to me like your suffering from an impingement.
Get it fixed - these problems don't go away by themselves and only worsen with time. The shoulder is the most complex joint in the body. Take care of it.