One Device or App for all my remotes and Thingamajiggers

PappyHoel

Right now in front of me I have 5 different devices/remotes to control different things. They are all connected via wifi and they have an IP address. My iPad is upstairs right now, that would make 6 devices. Not counting the kids iPad, my wife's iPhone, 3 TVs, security system and 3 arlo cameras. 15 devices

I've found these suggestions online, but I want to see if anyone has tried these products before I invest more money into something that doesn't work properly.(buggy)

http://gizmodo.com/5982909/5-apps-to-turn-your-phone-into-a-universal-remote/amp

Any suggestions or reviews? I'm not limited to the solutions in the article. I just want one app to control the IoT. (Internet of Things). It's only going to get worse :)

PappyHoel

I forgot the Xbox and the AV Receiver that makes 17 devices.

PappyHoel

18, forgot the directv DVR/Receiver

BeerThirty

A salesman from Vivint knocked on my door the other day and gave me his pitch. These days you can connect everything via Vivint. You can access your security system, thermostat, refrigerator, smoke detectors, lamps, doorbell camera, heck even your garage door opener. Not sure if that helps...

PappyHoel

Thanks but that is a whole home system that you have to subscribe to. I want a one time purchase of an app+device that controls it all.

660griz

I got the Amazon echo dot and the harmony hub. My wife was having a hard time working the receiver/tv/sat/roku so, now she just says "Echo, turn on tunes." and the receiver powers up and changes to Pandora. Turn on Dish, etc. We even have lights controlled. Thermostats are next. You can just about control everything via voice or the app.
The hub came with a universal remote but, it is still in the plastic.