Hvac. Which brand?

meatseeker

Any guys in the business. Looking at a new heat pump. 4 ton. Current is a goodman. Evaporater coil. 2 have leaked in 11 years. First was under warranty. The second of course is not. The reviews i have looked at are not very informative to make a decision. And people tend to write the bad and not the good. So Rheem,Trane,carrier,icp. Just can't find any good information. Any suggestions? Would like one that will hopefully last better.

1gr8bldr

It's hard to get a good answer from HVAC guys because they generally have the best to say about the particular brand they are currently selling. And that sometimes is motivated by incentives. I tell my customers in building, to assure them that they are getting quality, That this is the brand the owner [of the HVAC company] has in his own home. I'll not mention the brand because it's not the point. Point is, to the best of their knowledge, the HVAC guys will not sell you something they think is junk. And cheaper does not mean cheap. It means one company is trying to get a foot hold in a market dominated by one of the big names

biggdogg

Rheem/Ruud are very good units. Carrier and Trane are better, usually with better warranties, but you'll pay a lot more for them. Goodman, York and such are, well, you get what you pay for.

ilbcnu

Day & Night will out perform them all proper installation is more important than brand.

GA native

Trane or Carrier are the best on the market, IMO. Do not get builder's grade.

plumber_1969

Carrier has had tremendous issues with their copper coils being brought in from Mexico. I had several that we installed on a military base and all had to be replaced. Three AHU's and 2 condensing units. I have also had a goodman in one of my rental properties last over 20 years. I 100% agree with what was said above, the installation is a lot of the issues.

maker4life

I was in the a/c business for fifteen years before totally changing careers six years ago. Serviced and installed all brands. When my American Standard that's eighteen years old finally gives up I'll replace it with another American Standard.

NOYDB

BANNED
proper installation is more important than brand.

Find an installer that also does repairs. Follow his recommendations.

They are all made by humans and will all fail eventually. Buy the warranty, not the brand name.

transfixer

I currently have a Trane heat pump system that has been very good for going on 10yrs, before that I believe I had a Rheem, I found out by accident that my hvac company that did my installation quit selling Trane three or four years ago, when I asked them why ? The owner told me that Trane quit providing tech support to them for free, this is a fairly large company with a lot of service techs and they do a lot of business, so he switched to Carrier units, because they will provide tech support, , so a lot of times what a company carries and sells isn't necessarily the best unit, or most trouble free, it all comes down to money, the new units are all different now, using different Freon, I don't know if they cool as good ? or not as good ? as previous units, but the EPA has stepped in and required a change in what they use for Freon , so we're at their mercy. I would stick with a major brand, and stay away from builders grade units.

meatseeker

Thanks everybody. I already eliminated the builders grade from the start. Seems good installation is key which is the case with most anything. Most likely as everything else is Nothing last like they did years ago. Thanks again.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
American Standard and Trane are made by same company. Both good choices

Wycliff

I had a Trane last 25 years in my house until lightning took it out, it would probably still be running otherwise. So when I replaced it I went back with Trane

ClemsonRangers

I have a Trane and a Lennox and both are doing fine

(knocks on wood)

REUSSERY

I replace an older well used train twin 2.5 ton goodman's and I couldn't keep them running after about four years of patching them together and paying HVAC guys left and right. I replaced it all with a single 5 ton VX20 Train with the variable speed compressor and blower. There is no comparison. I totally agree with BiggDogg, you really do get what you pay for. if you start with junk, you'll always have junk. Spend a little more up front and reap the benefits of fewer service calls.

MX5HIGH

Our house was built in 2000 and had a Goodman 2 1/2 ton dual fuel system. It did ok until a few years ago. After a few repairs, most of which I did and the fact that it was R22, I decided to replace the system with a Trane last year. I hope this is the last time I have to do this.

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
I am getting close to being down with new construction on my home. I just fired up my 2 units. I went with a 20 seer American standard 2 ton and a 1 ton Daikon Ductable mini split!! I love them both! Whisper quiet and very efficient.

karen936

Head Researcher, McDurdellson Enterprises, Inc.
not an expert but amana has the best warranty

Hillbilly stalker

Just replaced a 23 year old Rudd . If it didn't have the R22 in it and a small leak. I wouldn't have replaced it. Because of its age and the type of freon, I replaced it while it was still running instead of getting caught at a real bad time. Nothing lasts forever, but I definetly got my money's worth and service out of it. My neighbor had his replaced at the same time (23 years ago) and is on his 3rd unit before I replaced one . Go figure.

GoldDot40

They all have the potential to be decent if the system is installed correctly and the house is built with energy efficient supplies, such as quality insulated doors and windows...and the insulation itself exceeds code. The less it has to run, the longer it will last.