How to properly mount a scope?

Jasper

OK guys I need some advice.

I had the stock on my old deer rifle cut down for my son. When I sent it to the gunsmith I took the scope off. I need to put it back on so we can sight it in and I need advice on how to mount it. I want to make sure it's set at the proper distance so it doesn't pop him in the nose the first time he shoots it.

I've been strictly a bow hunter for many years. Back when I hunted with rifles my Dad was around to show me how to do stuff like that, so I've never mounted a scope myself.

Thanks for your help!

NotaVegetarian

Mounting a scope can be easy, or it can be an aggravating task. You have taken the time to measure the rifle and had it cut down to fit your son. I would recommend a trip back to the gunsmith and let them properly mount and set the scope eye relief for your son if you don’t feel comfortable with the task. Sure there will be a small fee, but it may give your son that little edge of confidence that makes him a better shot.

RamblinWreck

Did you leave the bases on and just remove the rings? Here is a home method I have used successfully, assuming everything fits well and no shims are needed.

I recommend first putting the bases, rings, and scope on finger tight to check for fit. Set the scope on max magnification and slide it all the way forward in the rings. With the gun UNLOADED have him assume a shooting position. While he is looking thru the scope, move the scope to the rear just until the "tunnel vision" goes away and he has a full image in the scope. This is maximum eye relief. Make a note of where the scope is relative to the rings. Depending on the mounts, sometimes you need to reverse one base to get the rings positioned.

Now dissassemble everything but note where each piece goes. Screw on the bases tight using a tiny bit of blue (removable) Locktite on the screws. Next install the bottom halves of the rings, lay in the scope, and put the top ring halves on but do not tighten all the way, leave it so the scope will move a bit. Slide the scope to the position noted above, rotate it so the reticle is vertical, and tighten the screws.

Set the scope adjustments in the middle of their range, Rough boresight it by laying it on some sandbags or something, and look thru the barrel with the bolt removed. Center the barrel on a point of light or some noticable feature, and adjust the crosshairs so they are on the same object. This should get you on paper at 50 yards. Make sure everything is tight, then go to the range and sight her in. While sighting in, make any small tweaks you need to. Now is the time to locktite the ring screws when everything is just right.

Good luck!

CAL

I agree with Notaveg.on letting a gun smith finish the job.It will be correct and properly boresighted.You can do it yourself but since you have never, then let someone do it what has experience.
I have always mounted mine myself.I losely fit the rings to the rifle and then I use a 1 inch stainless rod to make sure the rings line up and are correct.Then tighten the rings to the stainless rod.Tighten the rings to the base.Check the rings for alignment.Sometimes I have to wrap some 600 grit sand paper to the stainless rod and remove some tiny high spots.After all this is done I slide the scope on and set for maxium view.When I shoulder my rifle,I want full view in the scope without moving my head around.I do all this on low power so I can make sure the cross hairs are set correctly.Tighten it down progressively ,bore sight, and you have it.More or less what Ramblinrack does,there is very little difference in our proceedure.Good luck.

stumpman

Banned
Dont waste your money on a gun smith use ramblin wrecks method and every thing will work great most gunsmiths ive seen bore sight a gun dont get them near zero i just redid one for a friend last week that the biggest gun shop in our area did it didnt even hit the page its not hard to do it your self.

Jasper

RW,

Sounds like great advice. I'll set it back up for him this weekend. Thanks everyone!

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
RamblinWreck's

method is what I have used for years and it has always worked for me. :clap:

leo