$$$ to replace a motor in a Durango?

Big7

The Oracle
It's a 2001 and belongs to my XGF.
It has the V6 cylinder, not the V8

Much to my warning, she let her son (a 29 y/o low life)
run it in the ground.

She said the shop told her it was a blown valve.

I have not called them but I suspect she was told a head gasket,
crank shaft or something. Never heard of a blown valve.

It (was) in good shape until that idiot tore it up.

Never been wrecked, no dents or dings and looks good.

Trying to help her decide if it would be worth it
to put a used or rebuild engine in it?

Anyone have an idea how much it would cost to get that done?

Just put $800.00 worth of tires on it. Hate to see that go.

She was offered $500.00 for it. I don't know yet if that was the mechanic or scrap yard.

Many thanks for the help and if you know anyone in
or near Conyers that can / will do it, please post or PM me.

B

BornNRaised

She was offered $500 by the mechanic??

...see where I'm going?

Might not be a big deal to fix. Headgaskets can be a pretty easy fix but I am over here, i have no idea if that's what's wrong with it. A new head isn't that expensive either.

If it has 800 worth of tires I certainly wouldn't sell it for $500 even if the engine was toast.

Might want to get a second opinion, or take a look at it yourself....most things are pretty easy to diagnose with a little research if you don't have any knowledge on the subject.

Big7

The Oracle
She was offered $500 by the mechanic??

...see where I'm going?

Might not be a big deal to fix. Headgaskets can be a pretty easy fix but I am over here, i have no idea if that's what's wrong with it. A new head isn't that expensive either.

If it has 800 worth of tires I certainly wouldn't sell it for $500 even if the engine was toast.

Might want to get a second opinion, or take a look at it yourself....most things are pretty easy to diagnose with a little research if you don't have any knowledge on the subject.

"She was offered $500.00 for it. I don't know yet if that was the mechanic or scrap yard."

I was thinking the same thing.

She is on a fixed income and not a bunch of money.

I told her I would fix it if it can be fixed reasonable,
on condition that slime ball never drives it again.

So, if that's all it is, how much $$$ you thinking?

rospaw

Another Big range in what labor will be. just like the plumbing job post a few days ago.

I would think it would be the top end aka not needing the whole motor. She could have heard Burnt valve / bent valve. being a V motor might get away with only one side. Best would be one side headgasket 250-500, If valve, then head will have to be worked another 300 on top of the 250-500. If it needs a head (used)anywhere from 500-1400. This is parts and labor from a discount/lower end type shop to a pickup truck mechanic. I nicer shop i could see 2k for a head job.
I'm am not a mechanic but have dealt with a bunch of them and a few close friends own shops.
Folks will frown on this but Craigslist has a bunch of mobile and pickup mechanics. Some are good and will give you references . Buy all the parts yourself including if needed a head and you will be surprised at what a mobile guy can do it for. They are the SAME mechanics that work on your stuff in a big name brick & mortar just with more drive to make ALL the money. Some will even have a warranty.

pm if you need more info / help finding

B

BornNRaised

I did a head job on an explorer...i think it was $600 total including the $75 for machine work. Took longer to get the headwork done than pulling and reinstalling.

I know a guy in holly springs that can pull-install an entire engine in a day for $500 but he is known to miss stuff here and there.

I wouldn't touch a swap for $500 even in sparetime.

transfixer

It's a 2001 and belongs to my XGF.
It has the V6 cylinder, not the V8

She said the shop told her it was a blown valve.

I have not called them but I suspect she was told a head gasket,
crank shaft or something. Never heard of a blown valve.

They don't show a V6 for the Durango in that year, most likely its a 4.7 , the smaller V8, those engines had numerous problems, with valve seats in the heads causing valves to stick, and also with head gaskets. Overall they weren't very good engines, if it dropped a valve its likely it cracked a piston as well. So unless its simply a blown head gasket its probably not worth fixing, more than likely the best option is to remove the tires and part out the vehicle. Sell the tires or use them on something else.

95g atl

maybe look for used engine to swap into it?
Labor is going to be same amount as engine I'd imagine.
Yes, the 4.7 isn't the most reliable out there, she can likely find the same year/model Durango for a couple thousand bucks, swap the new tires on the "new" ride. The Durango's don't hold value much and are pretty cheap on the used market.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
You stated it's your ex girl friend ??? Just wondering why you are even in the picture ? I sure wouldn't spend any $$ on her son, he'll just tear it up again.

And oh yeah, it's a Dodge, take what you can get .

transfixer

maybe look for used engine to swap into it?
Labor is going to be same amount as engine I'd imagine.
Yes, the 4.7 isn't the most reliable out there, she can likely find the same year/model Durango for a couple thousand bucks, swap the new tires on the "new" ride. The Durango's don't hold value much and are pretty cheap on the used market.

The problem will probably be in finding a "good" used 4.7,,, and yes, Durango's are pretty much disposable, especially when they get over 150k in miles.

Big7

The Oracle
You stated it's your ex girl friend ??? Just wondering why you are even in the picture ? I sure wouldn't spend any $$ on her son, he'll just tear it up again.

And oh yeah, it's a Dodge, take what you can get .

Cause we still have animals and property together.

And.. her grand kids think I'm their PaPa..

Have a call in to MY mechanic.
He's the man, 25 miles from her house.

Going to have it towed to him (she has towing)
and let him make the call.

Thanks again for all the good info and advice!
Much appreciated.

:cool:

660griz

First, get an accurate diagnosis.
If it is the top end, just replace that. Lots cheaper and easier.