Water pump on camper went out

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
My Shurflo camper water pump gave up the ghost. I pulled the pump and tested it on a 12 volt battery. It is done. I purchased a 2000 inverter generator last year and my thinking is I burnt up the pump. My voltage regulator has three breakers and I have no instructions to it. How can I ensure that I don't burn up a new pump?

Confused

greg_n_clayton

Interesting. I would not have thought the power supply would allow such a power surge to damage it !! I would think there are other things, such as lights, battery and such, that are used more often, it would have fried before your pump if you have a high voltage problem.

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
I don't use a battery now that I have the quiet generator. The only other thing that uses power is the lights. They will work on 12 or 120 volt. I also have a fridge but don't use it anymore.

transfixer

Check the voltage going to the pump with a digital voltmeter, also

You should be able to go by the brand and model of your converter and google a manual for it, at the very least a wiring diagram, I'd be surprised if you couldn't find it online,

greg_n_clayton

I don't use a battery now that I have the quiet generator. The only other thing that uses power is the lights. They will work on 12 or 120 volt. I also have a fridge but don't use it anymore.
something else interesting. my manuals require a 12 volt battery to be inline if my memory is correct. I am curious as to whatyour problem is.

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
I talked to a tech. at one of the camper dealers. He told me to plug to power and check the voltage at the battery. More than 12.7 volts = converter issue.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member

I talked to a tech. at one of the camper dealers. He told me to plug to power and check the voltage at the battery. More than 12.7 volts = converter issue.

Your lights work on 12 volts. Also your slide motor, furnace fan, and water pump as you mentioned.

I have heard you have to use a battery to keep everything working right. It will also keep you from having to start the generator sometimes.

Bob Shaw

Those water pumps are notorious for failing. I've replace 2 on my camper, one for leaks and another just failed. Get a volt meter, I've seen them for less than $10, and check the voltage at your pump. I doubt that the converter is your problem. JMHO I got my pump over the web from Makarios RV.

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
This is an old 1975 model camper that I keep in deer camp. The converter is old. I would go ahead and replace the pump but the pump failure pretty much coincided with the addition of the generator. I want to ensure that I am not going to destroy a new pump prior to installing a new one. My old multi-meter did not work last weekend. I got a new one.

whchunter

Check

I would check each breaker both with AC 120V and without AC 120V so you can tell if there is any amp difference in your Battery (DC) vs your AC (120). I think this would tell you if you are having inverter problems. Also your breakers should be labeled but their function is only for load protection.

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
I checked out the system with a multi-meter. I am getting 12.7 through the inverter. I was just doing due diligence and wanted to make sure that I did not have another problem prior to installing new pump. Thanks for all the input.

660griz

I think the failure of the pump and the addition of the generator was just a coincidence. Inverter generators usually put out a cleaner A/C signal than non.
Safe for computers, etc.