ATA Product Review----Bows

Bow Only

I flew in on Friday to the ATA in Indy. I shot everything everyone had in a left handed bow and even some right handed bows. Here is my report.....which of course, is my slightly educated opinion.

Mathews SwitchBack- Wow is the only thing I thought. Much better than the Outback in it's draw curve, wall, valley, and speed. No peak vibration and much less refractory period than previous Mathews bows. I believe I could shoot this more accurately than their previous hunting bows. It's pricey, but little noise and no vibration. I'll get one in a few weeks. Don't know if I'll hunt with it, but it's a very nice bow. I saw one dry fired and it only threw a cable off the cam. Replace the cable and it's ready to go.

Hoyt VTec- Another top of the line bow that I would be comfortable hunting with. It is smooth with little vibration but has a slight left kick upon release. That is due to the riser design and increased mass to the left of centerline. It could easily be corrected with horizontal stabilizer and would be a great hunting bow. If they gave me one, I'd hunt with it. But I've got too many bows to pay big bucks for another bow. I was pleasantly surprised with the VTec and for the extra speed, Hoyt did very a good job taming the vibration.

Bow Tech Allegience- Smooth shooter that is very fast. It shot real well and I don't have any complaints about the bow. I just wasn't wowed like last year shooting the Liberty or this year with a couple of other bows. I think the draw curve is a little tougher but with the extra speed, it's just a trade off. Another good BowTech!

Browning Illusion- I know you guys might not believe me, but this was the surprise bow of the show. I had to shoot a right handed bow so I couldn't get a feel for the grip and to some extent, the draw curve. But I will say, this is a bow that will rival any other bow being made. It is as smooth as a SwitchBack or VTech. Little vibration, little noise, and a bow that I believe is very controllable. I went back and shot it again just because I couldn't believe it shot so good. It might not be as fast, but it's one heck of a bow. One of the things I thought after shooting it was that if you don't shoot it, you are missing out. The valley was as I like-not too short, it held well, good wall, and an all around great bow.

I shot alot more bows, but these are my top picks from the show. They aren't in any order, but I would feel comfortable shooting any of them.

Last edited:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Good reviews Matt. Looks like we have some sweet bvows to choose from yet again.

BTW, I edited your post and put spaces between the bows, my old eyes could not read it:D

Jim

nimrod

Did you shoot a Whisper Creek bow? A guy I went to school with designed those bows and started that company up.

Bow Only

I shot the Whisper Creek bows. They had a huge booth this year and make a good bow. I like their bow that is coming out next year best. It is not available now. I think they took away too much mass under the grip on the current bows and I could feel more of the shot. Very quiet bows, even quieter than the Mathews and Hoyts.

The Browning retails for about $629 I believe. It's their top of the line bow.

And thanks for editing it Woody, or is it Elmo?

Last edited:

reylamb

Matt, what are your impressions of the Bowtech binary cam in general? Personally, I feel this will revolutionize cams in much the same way the Darton CPS cam did (did y'all see that, a Hoyt shooter giving credit to Darton). If it works as well in real life as it apperas to on paper, this may be the best cam system ever.

Bow Only

I gave it a thorough looksie but haven't seen the numbers on paper. I assume the extra speed was due to increased efficiency. I like the simplicity of how the cams are tied together and the bow was relatively shock and vibration free. They are certainly some of the more unattractive cams on the market. I felt a change in the draw cycle after about 2 or 3 inches as the energy began to build in the limbs, not too harsh but not as smooth of conversion as the Liberty. I believe the new Binary cam draws much better than a C/P/S system and achieves almost the same speeds. I know the Allegience is quieter than an Avalanche. I assume that the string length on the new BowTech is short like on the Darton bows but forgot to look.

kcausey

Banned
Matt, Browning?

was it a Browning Mirage 1.5, and not an Illusion? I can't find anything on an Illusion, but i drew back a 2005 Mirage 1.5 and it's the best bow i have every felt. I havn't yet drawn a Switchback, but how it feels will be the deciding factor on what i buy. (30" Bow)

Well, i just found the Illusion, 10 hours ago it wasn't on the Browning website...anyway, tell me what you think about the Mirage 1.5...?

Last edited:

Bow Only

Kip, I don't know about the Mirage. The Illusion was first seen by most PSE reps on Wednesday, the day before the show. Jim Landrum personally walked me over to the Demo area to shoot it. He said I wouldn't believe it and he was right. I don't think you will find much info on the Illusion, but the Mirage can't shoot any better. I don't think many bows will. I like to compare apples to apples, and sometimes it's hard because bow companies are always trying to impress you. They'll have their demo bows set on low poundage at 50lb or 60lb, but rarely have them at 70lb. If a bow is smooth at 50lb doesn't always mean it will be smooth at 70lb. I will tell you that you need to shoot it before you buy any bow.

reylamb

I have shot the Mirage, and it shoots great. I have not seen the illusion.

I have shot the old glory with the binary cam, and it does shoot great, so much so that thus far I can not find any faults with it. On paper, as I said earlier it is the best cam system out there, and one that I think everyone will be copying next year. It does have a short string and 2 cables.

JC280

The Equilizer Binary cam is awesome. I've been shooting a Bowtech Constitution for about a week now and it is an AWESOME bow. This cam system is fast, smooth, and forgiving. I've been shooting Hoyt's for 8-9 years and it takes a lot to make me want to change. If you get a chance to shoot one of the new Bowtechs with the new Equilizer cam......... DO IT and then get out your check book out.