how to dry

savage270

I wanted to keep the tail of my first deer. I removed most of the tail bone so whats next in the drying process?

Also, how to I dry the hooves?

Thanks.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
You will need to completely remove all the bones from the tail. First, use a very sharp knife to split the underside of the tail the full length. Take your time and be careful so as not to run the blade off to the side. Once split, carefully pull the bone clear, be careful towards the tip of the tail. Once you have it removed, scrape any fat off that might be at the upper end, then tack the tail to a board meat side up. You can apply a little salt if you want, but there is no need too. Put in a dry place outa reach of varmints till it`s dry.

Al33

You can remove all the tail bone with a pair of pliers and a couple of sticks and not have to cut the tail lengthwise to do it. After cutting the tail off, push the skin back far enough the two sticks can be placed at right angles to the bone and the bone can be grabbed with a pair of pliers or channel locks. Have some one else tightly grip the sticks, one on top and one on the bottom of the bone in front of the skin. While squeezing firmly on the bone with the sticks pull hard with the pliers. The bone will slide out of the tail. Fill the tail with salt using a straw. Slide the straw into the tail as deep as you can get it and pour the salt through the straw. Pull it out a little and add more salt. Continue this until it is full then hang the tail to dry.

This method works on other critters also.

Not sure about the hooves other than to remove the marrow from any bones you want to keep attached.

Sorry Nick, I was typing when you were posting, but the method I described works great. Give it a try on a deer, raccoon, or even a skunk.:D

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Al, I like your way better than mine! That way you don`t have to tack it up. :cheers:

savage270

When I was skinning, I sort of pulled the skin over the tail bone , after realizing this I cut the bone and unflipped the tail skin so now I have a tail that has about two inches of bone left in the tip. What should I do? Should I just cut along the center? I was thinking of putting the tail in a frame along with my .270 casing I used to kill the deer along with a photo.

I guess its ok if i cut along the center so It lays flat... If I do this, should I cut along the center on the dark side or the white side? Thanks.

savage270

Also, while rinsing it off in water, I noticed like 20 ticks crawling out. I tried to wash them off but they hang onto the fur.

Should I soak them in water and soap overnight? Will this hurt the fur on the tail?

Al33

Water and soap will not hurt the tail. The ticks will leave on their own during the drying process.

At this point I suspect you will have to cut the tail to get the remainder of bone out. Cut on the white underside.

savage270

Thanks to everyone's advice, I finished my deer tail... or i think its dry?!?! :yawn:

Attachments

• CIMG0018.JPG
    CIMG0018.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 148
  • CIMG0017.JPG
    CIMG0017.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 155

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yep. That looks fine!

savage270

thanks, i'm looking for a frame and will post pictures of the final project when i'm done.

Best,
David