Chuck Adams

Bow Only

Last weekend was the first opportunity I've had to talk with Chuck. He's a nice guy and truly loves what he does. I did not get the impression from him that he was arrogant, I got the feeling he was just like one of us but excelled at hunting. He told me his slam took 23 years to complete, with the majority of his trophies paid for by him and with no sponsor money. Only in the past few years did sponsors start paying his way and accellerate the process. I was impressed. He was 100 times nicer than Myles Keller or Jackie Bushman. Well, maybe 1000 times nicer and not stuck on himself.
He told me he started off as an English teacher but hunting was his passion. He had to follow his passion. I guess fame caught him because all he does now is write, lecture, and hunt. He got my vote for BowHunting Hall of Fame.

reylamb

Chuck is a nice guy and contrary to what many might say a great hunter. Having said that, we need to get the poor guy a new hat!!!!!

QuakerBoy

Bow Only said:
I guess fame caught him because all he does now is write, lecture, and hunt. .

I wish I could make a living doing this.

I met him once at a United Bowhunters of PA conference. Was very nice, and took the time to talk and answer any questions people had.

He's a class act.

Duff

Bow Only, thats cool enough. Where did you met him?

Saw Miles Keller once and he was charging folks for autographs :mad:

Jasper

What's the deal with Myles Keller anyway? I've never met the guy, but he never smiles and looks miserable in every picture and advertisement I've ever seen him in. Maybe he's one of the "Grumpy Old Men" of the hunting world......

TOW

Chuck is a nice guy and a lot more outgoing than Myles.

Myles is not a grumpy old man though.

He is a very quiet person for a "hunting celebrity". He does not like to toot his own horn and I feel he is discomforted by that fact that he has to be a public person in order to be a paid bowhunter...

I talked to Myles for about a half hour at the show.I had not seen him in a couple of years. We talked about his two P & Y bucks he got last year, but I had to pry that out of him. He also told me about a 180 that he came close but no cigar in getting.

he was more interested in how I did last year than tell me about himself.

He then talked about an eye problem that he thought would end his career."No demand for a blind bowhunter," said he. He had eye surgery in Lousiana that corrected that problem. They popped his eyeball out on his cheek and operated on it.

We laughed about a bear hunt that we had been together on a bunch of years back.

It was a good discssion.

Myles is a nice guy too, just a quiet man.

mpowell

i'm a finger shooter and chuck adams helped reflex design the bow i shoot, a reflex caribou. it's designed for finger shooters whereas any of today's hi-tech bows are VERY unforgiving of us finger shooters.

Jasper

Hey TOW,

Since you know Myles Keller-I heard years ago that he had a trailer full of his P&Y deer heads stolen at a show.

Do you know if he ever got them back? I was sick when I heard that and have always been curious as to what happened.

Thanks.

TOW

Jasper said:
Hey TOW,

Since you know Myles Keller-I heard years ago that he had a trailer full of his P&Y deer heads stolen at a show.

Do you know if he ever got them back? I was sick when I heard that and have always been curious as to what happened.

Thanks.

If I recall it right he had 16 deer heads stolen.He had his better heads including a 170+ eight pointer on dispaly at the time. They got the lesser heads, but still a pity.

No, he never got them or his trailer back.

I'm sure that the thieves did not know what was in the trailer at the time.

That is why you will see a lot of reproductions at the shows now. Especially the world class ones.

Dub

Chuck Adams and Myles Keller.....man you guys are fortunante to have the opportunity to spend time with them.

I'm glad to hear the great reports about both of them.

I've done a good bit of reading of many of Chuck's articles and both his books. They are all very entertaining and informative. They really make you feel the appreciation that Chuck has for the game that he hunts.

I would love to meet him.

Just for kicks and grins, I'd like to see him and Jackie Bushman switch hats for a season or two.

Dub

Arrow Flinger said:
I got to meet Chuck at the ATA and spent a while talking with him. He was a pleasure to talk too.

Too cool. You had a chance to hobnob with the great one while Trey was chatting up Kate Robinson.:love:

Ah....life is unfair. Only the chosen ones were allowed entrance into the ATA.....life is unfair.

Just kidding...it wouldn't do for the drooling masses to be allowed in....we'd storm through the place pawing all the wares and grabbing up all the free loot...and of course oggling Kate.:cool:

Eliteists!!!!!!::gone:

Dub

Lee is a luck fella, no doubt.

It must be nice be able to cuddle up and play smacky face in the duck blind when the birds aren't flying. I tried this once but my fellow hunters dang near threw me outa the blind.

Those guys just don't appreciate a good joke!!!

I wonder if they even bothered to skip a seat when they saw Brokeback Mountain...?

reylamb

I talked with Tiffany, Kate, and Chuck at the show, all of them are very nice folks.

One thing I have always wondered about Chuck though is the sacrifices he made. Forgoing family for hunting. Could you do it? I could not. As much as I love to hunt I love my family more. Chuck made huge sacrifices to get where he is today, in the end I wonder, was it worth it?