Baking Soda

Trizey

I've seen several people mention that they wash their hunting clothes in baking soda.
For y'all that do that, how much baking soda per load do you use(assuming a med. to large load)?

Deerman

i never measure, just pour until i think it is enough :shoot:

horsecreek

I used to use baking soda and this yr switched to scent killer with a tough of dirt smell. That and used the white lightning from makers of carbon blast and worked great this past weekend. I walked within 40yrds of a bedded doe in the pines. wind was pushin right at her and was starin right at me. she never blew or got alarmed and I was there for about 5 min.. well, until the arrow went flyin to her and deflected off 30 pine limbs.. :bounce:

GABOWHUNTER

I have been using baking soda for 25 years to wash my closthes and then hang them outside to dry, once I have dried them, I put them into a scent proof bag and I will tell you, it works. Layer your clothes in the washing machine, put a layer, pour some baking soda, put another layer, then do the same until you have filled your washer. You will not be disappointed.

dbodkin

Works great & is really cheap to do....

Murdock

I have done it for years. My dad used to pour it all over him and he saw twice as many deer as I did. I used to think he was crazy, but it works and washing clothes in it works too.
Murdock.

TurkeyCreek

i use baking soda also....don't measure i just pour some till it looks right. i try to not wash too big of a load at one time, thinking that it will rinse out better.

Phillip Thurmond

I use it all the time. I have a lot of it left over from the swimming pool. We buy it at Sams in bulk and you get get about 12 lbs for 4 bucks I think. A 12 lbs will last you all season and then some.

gadeerwoman

Here's another tip. When you buy new camo clothes if you wash them in cold water with 1/2 cup table salt it will help keep them from fading. The salt helps set the dyes.

Hunter Haven

Chalk one up for me also. I like to use it when washing my clothes too. I also sturate a washcloth with it when taking a shower before going into the woods. It is a little rough on your skin but seems to work well on controling body odor!!!

short stop

a friend of mine uses SODA as a scent killer . just mixes it up with water and puts it in the same bottle the factory stuff comes in . I personally couldn't tell the diff . in the taste test .He has killed some monsters and only bowhunts .Its worth a try---- might save u a $ or 2 SS

Jeff Phillips

I like to wash my hunting clothes in about 1/2 cup of Pinesol.

When they are dry, put them in a trash bag with about 1/2 cup of baking soda. Shake them around to coat, then squeeze the air out and twist tie it.

When you start to put them on shake the excess soda off.

does anyone not worry about the uv brightners in the hunting clothes? Does the baking soda help? I use that sport wash on mine and it works well. I only wash my hunting clothes a couple times a year though. Before you all start the bashing last year I went to scent loc and that stuff is incredible. I have had a couple bears downwind at about 35-40 yards and never wind me as well as numerous hogs and deer. My closest shot last year was a big mature doe at 4 yards. I as well put them in an airtight bag after drying with fresh earth dryer sheets and in the bag goes a couple fresh earth scent wafers.

Walkie Takie

baking soda

baking soda , good stuff cheap , have used it for year's kid's still wonder about it////
wash & then spread around dry clothes and in to bag's , when in the wood's break small pine limb w/ needle's roll needles in handw/ gloves on and spread around body and your ready to go ////// w/t

Woodsong

that's a great idea to use baking soda! Like highcountry asked, I wonder if it helps with the UV brightener issue???

I get tired of all these expensive "accessories" we supposedly need so I love finding more natural/common ways to make this stuff. Like the unscented deodent you can buy at the outdoor stores for $5 a pop....go to kroger and get the sure brand unscented for $2!!

Ga-Spur

Phillip , go to a feed store and get them to order you a 50 pound bag for 14.00 dollars.