PDA

View Full Version : Serious question for crossbow shooters only, please

reylamb
01-12-2005, 12:13 PM
I have a serious question for crossbow shooters only please, and it does not pertain to hunting.

Would you shoot 3d on the weekends at the local clubs if the local courses offered the following rule/class:

1. 1 Crossbow money class $15 entry fee men and women competing together
2. 280 fps +3% for variation in chronographs
3. Estimated 45 yards max range
4. Field Tips only
5. No shooting sticks or props, off hand only
or
6. You could shoot a fun round with no opportunity to win money and no competition, but still maintain the 280fps rule cost $7.

If you shoot a crossbow:
1. would you show up
2. how many would bring friends that also shoot crossbows

In order for clubs to do this, we would need to make it a money shoot, unless attendance was high. The cost of plaques for classes with under 7 shooters actually costs the club money for that class. The 280 rule is there to ensure everyone is on somewhat of a level playing field, those that have bows that can go 350 would not have an advantage over those at 280 as far as trajectory and yardage estimation.

The hardest part may be the 280 for you guys, but a little weedeater line in the shafts could fix that. I am not promising any new classes, but I am curious as to what the response would be.

PWalls
01-12-2005, 12:17 PM
I would have to get a heavier arrow to get my crossbow down to that speed, but other than that, I don't see any problem with that. Would we compete with other crossbowers or is it a general class for bows (recurce, compound or crossbow)? Although, I have always liked the more "for fun" type stuff than super competition.

reylamb
01-12-2005, 12:22 PM
Crossbow class specifically for crossbow shooters. We try to create classes based on both equipment and levels to try to keep the level of competition as equal as possible.

Randy
01-12-2005, 01:21 PM
Levels? There could only be two. Beginner-those who have never picked one up and Expert- those who have shot one 5 times.

PWalls
01-12-2005, 01:32 PM
Edited for personal attacks.

TOW
01-12-2005, 01:54 PM
The IBO rules for crossbows are:

Crossbow Class (X-BOW)

Crossbows may or may not employ a magnification sight. Whether a pin type or scope type sight is used it will not employ any range finding capability. Magnification will not exceed 8x if utilized.

Crossbows may not exceed a draw weight of 190# and shoot a bolt (arrow) at a velocity no greater than 300 fps.

All crossbows must have a working safety. Safety is to be kept in an on position until shooter is at stake and ready to fire. No crossbow will be cocked before shooter is at the shooting stake; it may then be cocked and loaded in a down- range direction. Crossbows will not be loaded in an upward pointing position.

It is the shooters responsibility to be sure that his or her crossbow is in sound working condition. Crossbow arrows or bolts must be of a diameter no less than 20/64ths of an inch, and no less that 14 inches in length. They must have no less than three vanes or feathers and employ a field or bullet point. All bolts (arrows) carried on the course must be of the same type, size, fletch, point weight and overall weight. All crossbows used are to be of a manufacturer’s standard production. Crossbows will be shot from the green stake with a maximum of approximately 45 yards.

You should have a rule at your shoots that no plaque would be given to any class (except the kids) that don't meet the 7 shooter payback.

I think it would be a great idea to open up the 3D shoots for crossbows. Ontario has been doing this since day one.

Good luck in doing it..

PWalls
01-12-2005, 01:58 PM
Mr. Wilson,

According to those regulations, would I be able to shoot the ExoMax? It has a higher weight and fps than those listed. Would I have to buy an Exocet or similar to meet those requirements?

TOW
01-12-2005, 02:00 PM
Mr. Wilson,

According to those regulations, would I be able to shoot the ExoMax? It has a higher weight and fps than those listed. Would I have to buy an Exocet or similar to meet those requirements?

Sounds like a good excuse to buy another Excalibur to me. Maybe a Phoenix?? ::;

PWalls
01-12-2005, 02:27 PM
Archer's Nook have those yet? I haven't looked.

The "phoenix" is the new Exomag right? I need to get over to the Excalibur forum and check it out.

TOW
01-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Archer's Nook have those yet? I haven't looked.

The "phoenix" is the new Exomag right? I need to get over to the Excalibur forum and check it out.

I dont think they are on the shelves yet.

The Phoenix is the upgraded Vixen.

The Exocet was bumped up to 200# where teh Exomag was.

The Exomag is now a 'collectors item". ;)

reylamb
01-12-2005, 02:52 PM
But isn't the 280 rule a little more fair for all? We are an ASA club, not IBO, so there is no national guidance on this, other than they use 280 for everything. Plus, I never liked the IBO rules on arrows having to be similar, I usually have a couple different types in there depending on the weather.

So far, other than the trad class, we do not have a problem getting 7 shooters in a class, and the trad guys do not care about trophies anyways.

Like I said, we will be discussing it, and I make no promises. Having said that, I only see one person that would be interested.

Kdog
01-12-2005, 03:59 PM
I can't due to time constraints.

Kdog

Todd E
01-12-2005, 05:40 PM
If it were close in proximity to my location and not interfere with my commitments...........

I would love to shoot for fun and competition.

I would either have to slow it down or just purchase a cheaper one for the fun stuff.

Thank you for at least looking into and considering "us" to participate. I will say, though, if it came down to name calling and degrading because of weapon choice.......I'd never be back. A little' ribbing between buds is cool, but "better than thou" is for the birds.

csgreen1
01-15-2005, 08:37 AM
Randy i think the hunting world would be better off without people like you so why dont you just go away.Its getting to the point where guys cant come on here and give their 2cents without being insulted for the way they hunt by the few jerks on here like you.

TOW
01-15-2005, 08:54 AM
After being out of 3D for umpteen years I was not even aware that there were other 3D organizattions besides the IBO.

If you have a limit of 280 on vertical bows then the same limit for crossbows would probably be appropriate.

However, you will be cutting out a LOT of potential shooters as crossbow can not be "cranked down" like a vertical bow. It is what it is.

You might consider that in your decision making process.

I think the "similar arrows" should not involve vanes and feathers. Different weights I can understand.

Good luck, but please don't be discouraged if it does not take off right away..

Randy
01-18-2005, 08:39 AM
CSGREEN,
I am soory you feel I am jerk for not agreeing with your 2 cents. Seems you can have your opinion but I can not have mine.

But as the crossbow threads and the baiting threads indicate, over half of the hunters here have lost the idea of fair chase and ethical hunting. I have a lot of good friends here but they have my numbers so I am going to do as you ask!

It's been fun guys!

TOW
01-18-2005, 10:05 AM
Randy,

Did you read the title of this thread?

It was -"Serious question for crossbow shooters only, please"

First pop out of the bag you try and put down crossbow shooters.

You are just here to stir it up again when reylamb is making an honest effort to reach out to crossbowers AND help his club.

Now my advice is if you want to start another "crossbow war" start your own thread and don't try and hijack this one.

IOW- BUTT OUT!!