Where can you buy tree protectors and what's the prices

gadeerwoman

Natl Wild Turkey Federation has them too. Check prices at several different places as the prices at some sites are outrageous! I just got 25 from NWTF, 4' tall and with shipping I think it came to @ $70. I just use 3-4' light weight metal fence posts to brace them. You can use wooden stakes if you like. I prefer fence posts.

gadeerwoman

Just looked at my NWTF invoice. I paid 2.70 each for the 48" ones. $6.45 shipping and handling. The craven crabapples I just got from Lawsons wouldn't even fit in the tubes .Those things were 7' tall ! Even pruning off the very lowest limbs I had to cut the tubes down a lot to and slit them so they'd go around the trees. I'm having to fence them in with stock wire in addition to the tubes in order to protect them from the deer.

gadeerwoman

The craven crabs were supposedly '3 year old' trees but I've never seen a 3 year old apple tree that's this big ! Not that I'm complaining!! The older they are the quicker I'll get some little apples. These were branched out nicely and you could see where they had pruned them last year. Fine looking trees. My other crabapple trees I got were about 4' tall and no branching yet so I could slide the tubes right over them. The sawtooths are 5' tall and I'm going to have to watch them closely when I slide the tubes over.