January farm pond fishing advice needed!

Jasper

My boys are out of school on Monday and want to go fishing. I told them with the cold weather coming in this weekend that the fishing can be tough this time of year, but they want to go anyway.

I'm much more of a hunter than a fisherman and most of my fishing is done with the kids in the spring and summer, not in winter.

We have access to a 15 acre, stump filled farm pond and a jon boat.

What are the best methods for catching a bass this time of year? How about big shiners under a float? Will all the bass be deep?

Thanks for the help!

QuakerBoy

This time of year and auger and tip up work best :p

As you stated....it is gonna be slow fishing.

I've actually had better luck on the bass with worms than minnows or shiners when it gets real cold.

GeauxLSU

FISH SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOWLY. Assuming you're using artificials. Would have been nice to get them out yesterday but oh well. A bad day fishing (especially with your boys I bet) is still better than .....
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

aaron batson

Stumps = Jig n' pigs
Maybe even lettem throw something like a 1/2 spinnerbait with one big colorado blade - slow rolled by the stumps.

mpowell

fish slow and on the bottom. of course, fishing structures (under docks, stumps, fallen logs) is ideal. the bass are going to be lethargic but, as they will in the summer, some can't resist the temptation of an artificial wiggler teasing them!

last time i fished during winter was a few years ago in february. did have good success with a small jig-n-pig with a pork trailer. especially under docks. fish it slow on the bottom, bouncing it along then letting it sit. be ready for them to strike on the downfall after lifting it off the bottom. that's when i usually get my strikes on a jig-n-pig.

i have a blue jig-n-pig and a green one. have had success with both in fairly clear water. if the water's dirty/murky with less visibility, i'll attached a bright artificial trailer which helps it be seen a little better.

goldentrout

I would go with a black or blue jig-n-pig like the others have said, but with the warmer weather I would have to throw a trap out a few times just to see if there was any takers.

DSGB

As mentioned above, fish the bottom and fish slow. I usually use plastic worms in the winter and let it sit twice as long before twitching or retrieving. The bites will not be as agressive, the bass usually just take the bait and sit there. You can also try a heavy spinnerbait, bumping it along the bottom.