PDA

View Full Version : Talbot County

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Ramey Jackson
09-09-2004, 07:17 PM
Okay guys, I thought that I'd start our thread again. Hopefully we can keep each other updated on the hunting conditions in our county. I'll check back in on Monday. Hopefully I'll have a pic of a double lunger to post! :D

BROWNING7WSM
09-09-2004, 07:46 PM
Good Deal RAMEY... good luck.. I hope our roads and plots didnt wash away.. Guess Ill know soon enough.

Toliver
09-09-2004, 07:56 PM
What club are you guys in down there?

Ramey Jackson
09-09-2004, 07:57 PM
I'm in White Oak Sporting Club. Just outside of woodland.

Toliver
09-09-2004, 07:59 PM
I used to hunt in Talbot County. But TMooney got out of hand and I had to flee for my life and haven't hunted down there in about 7 years.

BROWNING7WSM
09-09-2004, 08:00 PM
ARROWHEAD hunt club... Were bout 3-4 miles outside of Woodland..Turn by Chapmans and take the road behind it till ya run into a dirt road. Take the first left then go about a mile and were on both sides of the road..Where you located Toliver?

Toliver
09-09-2004, 08:02 PM
I have property in Taliaferro County. I grew up hunting in Talbot though. Started hunting at age 7 and hunted there til about 7 years ago. I used to belong to the Kennesaw Bushwhackers. That's where I met TMooney and watched him grow up.

Ramey Jackson
09-09-2004, 08:05 PM
Browning - Your club butts up to mine. Stay straight on Bonnie Rd. and we are on both sides.

Toliver - Is Kennesaw Bushmasters camp off of 116?

Toliver
09-09-2004, 08:07 PM
Toliver - Is Kennesaw Bushmasters camp off of 116?

The Kennesaw Bushwhackers' camp is just in the edge of Talbotton off 41. Turn back to the left just after entering town and passing the elementary school. Most of their property lies inbetween 90 and 208.

Ramey Jackson
09-09-2004, 08:15 PM
Okay, wrong one.

BROWNING7WSM
09-09-2004, 08:43 PM
Ramey, yea I know where yall are at. My dad and I thought about joining Whiteoak several years back because our road gets nasty when it rains..How long have yall been there? I think this will be our 12th year. somewhere around that.The first several years the hunting was great, then it died off for a while but since they cut our land it has returned full strength...

Ramey Jackson
09-09-2004, 10:22 PM
Browning - This is my eleventh year. The hunting is a lot diffenent than it was back then. We have been trying to get our buck/doe population stabalized for a decade. The past three years have been incredible. Instead of seeing 10-15 does and small bucks a sitting, you see less deer. In fact, I saw way more bucks than does last year. We actually have a "RUT" now. We are killing an average of 13 quality bucks per year. Most of those deer are at least 3 1/2 years of age. We also hunt 25 people on 3000 acres. Which helps on minimizing pressure on the heard.

Anyway, you should come by the camp some time. We've always got a light on!

pidget
09-09-2004, 11:22 PM
when is the rut gonna be due this year in talbot? last yeatr they were running does opening week-end after the full moon. if anyone has an idea for this year i would like to here it, thanks

Deano
09-09-2004, 11:52 PM
Hey browning 7wsm I hunted in arrowhead hunting club about 8 years ago
I grew up hunting there .I now hunt down the road in talbotton . I might stop buy and see you guys this season, since I'am back in talbot now

BROWNING7WSM
09-10-2004, 12:33 AM
Dean Haught? Is that you... If it is this is David.. Come on by one day and see us...

Deano
09-10-2004, 08:42 AM
Are you guys going down this weekend ?

BROWNING7WSM
09-10-2004, 08:45 AM
check pm

sgsjr
09-13-2004, 12:08 PM
Talbot County rut is all over November 16th every year.
Good hunting for two weeks either side of this date.

Hunting Tarheel
09-13-2004, 12:51 PM
Well I changed my name a little from huntin heel. Where is ICS and danny? Any reports on how the rain affected food plots at all in Talbot? I am going to check mine this weekend and I am prepared for the worst.

leoparddog
09-13-2004, 06:12 PM
Walking the roads around WhiteOak this weekend, I don't think a single acorn survived the bad weather. I've never seen so many littering the ground. I don't know what the early (and nearly complete) acord drop portends but hopefully the food plots survived the nearly 6" of rain.

Ramey, did you get a chance to scope out any of our plots?

Ramey Jackson
09-13-2004, 07:31 PM
Max,

The food plots look great. Looks as if they survived the flood. Keep in mind we had a small rain the night after we completed the planting. I guess that helped the seed establish.

Danny_GA
09-13-2004, 10:45 PM
Well the last storm left it's mark at Lost Gate. Our camp shelter was blown down and I understand that we have a lot of hardwoods down. How did everyone else fare?

Now let's see what Ivan does.

ICSCamoHunter
09-13-2004, 11:01 PM
Well Danny,

we fared pretty well. Our camp was in pretty good shape. A tarp or two got hit a lil hard, but othere than that all we had was some small pine damage. One of our guys did lose a trail camera and a treestand to the storms. The tree he had his camera on uprooted and buried the camera under the rootball. And the tree he had a stand in fell over not damaging the stand or ladder sticks, but the tree that fell afterwards fell and bent the ladder sticks. I can imagine that must have been more fun than Mr. Toad's wild ride when that happened. Lucky for us our foodplots all looked awesome and did not wash a bit. In fact, they had grown quite a lot due to the rainfall. We saw a number of does and smaller bucks on opening weekend, but nothing was put in the freezer. One doe was shot and not recovered. We'll see what happens this weekend with Ivan.

ICSCamoHunter
09-13-2004, 11:09 PM
Our foodplots look awesome as well. In fact we had 3 plots that grew 2-3 inches in their first week. I guess it was due to the amount of rainfall after planting. Our persimmons were still on the trees, but are looking really ripe and ready to fall anyday now. Muscadines are still there and so are plenty of acorns. No deer killed opening weekend, or atleast not recovered. One was shot, many were seen. On to week 2.

Danny_GA
09-14-2004, 07:56 AM
I am really amazed at the lack of washing from 8.5 inches of rain. I quess it was dry enough and the rain spread out enough it didn't run off. That won't be the case though if Ivan comes to visit. The ground is already saturated which is going to lead to two problems; runoff and our hardwoods will really take a pounding since they are in full leaf.

Hunting Tarheel
09-14-2004, 11:06 AM
I guess I need to go check things out this weekend. Maybe I'll even take my bow. I am praying for Ivan to stay away.

Hunting Tarheel
09-14-2004, 11:58 AM
It does look like we are going to luck out on Ivan. The storm has moved and we should just have more wind and not too much rain.

dbone
09-14-2004, 12:34 PM
We were worried about a dead pine looming over a couple of campers but we got lucky the storm blew it down in the opposite direction :clap: The clubhouse leaked pretty bad ruining a set of bunkbeds , but we are fixing to put in a Knox woodburning cookstove so a planned re-roofing is set for our next trip down , besides that the foodplots loved the storm

Danny_GA
09-15-2004, 09:11 AM
I had a chance to hunt for a couple of hours on the family farm Tuesday afternoon. Saw one doe with her two fawns, but they never got closer that 75 yards.
Shot at a coyote at 23 yards. It was a frontal shot and the arrow when between it's front legs. I believe he jumped the arrow. After spending about 10 minutes circling the stand (out of range) he never did figure out where the arrow came from.

Hunting Tarheel
09-15-2004, 10:56 AM
Danny,

Is it legal while bowhunting to shoot a coyote with a gun?

Danny_GA
09-15-2004, 02:21 PM
It is illegal to be in possesion of any firearm while bow hunting during archery season. So it is not illegal to shoot the coyote with a gun. You just can't have the gun with you while bow hunting.

Toliver
09-15-2004, 08:53 PM
It is illegal to be in possesion of any firearm while bow hunting during archery season. So it is not illegal to shoot the coyote with a gun. You just can't have the gun with you while bow hunting.

WHAT!!!?? You mean I can't multitask while sitting in the stand? I thought for sure I could take my .22 for squirrels, my Glock 22 for "threats" and my bow for deer. ;)

Hunting Tarheel
09-16-2004, 11:45 AM
Danny,

Thanks!

So I can coyote hunt with a rifle as long as I do not have a bow? What kind of rain have we had this week there?

Danny_GA
09-16-2004, 11:51 AM
We are still at less than an inch as of 11:00 am Thurs., but the worst is yet to come. I still have hope that the heavy wind will stay west of us.

SlipperyHill Mo
09-16-2004, 02:52 PM
Heard it on Channel 2, any reports?

Danny?

Looked like it was North of Talbotton.

Danny_GA
09-16-2004, 06:26 PM
Mo,

We were under a tornado warning from 1:40 to 2:00 after radar picked up over Pleasant Hill, 4 miles east of Woodland on Highway 36. I have not heard of any touching down, but it has been rough with the weather alert radio sounding off every few minutes. Over six inches of rain so far and this rain is not soaking in!!

ICSCamoHunter
09-16-2004, 06:41 PM
Hang in there Danny!

I'll be there in the morning and I can bring you a lifejacket ;)

Hopefully everyone is faring ok. 6 inches of rain is alot, especially when it doesn't soak in. I saw a flash flood warning is in effect for Talbotton. I bet the Flint River over on Pobiddy Rd. is roaring.

I'm hoping to get to hunt tomorrow afternoon on the tailend of the storm. Often times the movement should be good following the storm. Good luck everybody.

sgsjr
09-17-2004, 01:09 PM
The Flint River is so high you can see under it!! I have measured 16 inches of rain from the combination of Frances and Ivan.

Hunting Tarheel
09-17-2004, 07:32 PM
sgsjr,

That cannot be good. That big bag of Oats that I put right under the topsoil is probably over at ICS's place. I will chawk it up to a learning experience. At least I still have a bag of no plow that I can put on next weekend or tomorrow. :banginghe

ICSCamoHunter
09-19-2004, 06:11 PM
Well,

We fared better than some I guess from Ivan's wrath. We lost a few more hardwoods, but for the most part we had little damage. There was some slight washing from the immense rains. I hunted Friday afternoon in the high wind and saw nothing. And again Saturday morning. Found plenty of fresh tracks after the rain, so I know they didn't get blown out of the county. Maybe they went for a trip over to TArheel's place? Bet they were hungry when they got there.

Acorns are falling and being cut by squirrels. Many on the ground are still bright green, but many are turning. Should be a hot food source in the next weeks!

Finally got some more buck pictures on our trailcams this week. Got three different 8 pointers. One of which is nice and tall. Got another pic of a bobcat this week. That makes a bobcat pic a week for the past 5 or 6 weeks. And they are showing on different cameras. Must have a large territory or be a lot of bobcats.

Found one set of tracks with dew claws walking on hard ground that 2 cigarette packs wouldn't cover, if it's not a buck, it's gotta be the biggest doe in Talbot County.

Our foodplots looked well, having gotten plenty of irrigation the past couple of weeks. Now if we can get no rain for a lil while, and plenty of sunshine, they should jump up in height.

Til later.

Danny_GA
09-19-2004, 09:08 PM
Well Ivan added to our problems. The dam on our bever pond blew out and took a road with it. We now have 400 acres not accessable by truck or four wheeler. I will call Meade in the morning, but I am sure the road repair waiting list is long and slow.

ICSCamoHunter
09-19-2004, 11:25 PM
Ouch, sorry to hear of your troubles Danny. Sounds as if your end of the county may have gotten hit harder than ours. We were very fortunate both times the storms went through.

SlipperyHill Mo
09-20-2004, 08:54 AM
Not too much bad news. The water came over the top of my dam and washed a little off the back side of it. My small boat got washed into the spillway ditch and got caught and restricted the overflow. This may have caused the water over the top of the dam. Only the second time in 5 years.

Had a few trees acroos the road, but not too much.

Danny,

Saw the bridge on Bugffington Rd. over Big Lazar creek and it was 3' under water! Not sure if the bridge is still there. Do you ever go down the road that far?

Danny_GA
09-20-2004, 07:38 PM
I'll check the bridge this weekend. Doesn't sound good.

Hunting Tarheel
09-21-2004, 02:45 PM
"And again Saturday morning. Found plenty of fresh tracks after the rain, so I know they didn't get blown out of the county. Maybe they went for a trip over to TArheel's place? Bet they were hungry when they got there."

That might be the case right now ICS but come October 16th it is going to be like the Golden Corral at my place. I am going to take a couple of those 8 pointers off your hands.

ICSCamoHunter
09-21-2004, 09:06 PM
Well, who is in favor of the weather staying the way it's been the last two days?

:clap: I know I am. Wish I was in a tree this week.

Well, I certainly hope you do connect on an 8 point or two this fall Heel. I know our plots are growing well and hopefully yours are too. This week ought to be awesome for growth.

How'd your plots fare in the heavy rains Heel?

struttinsouthern
09-22-2004, 01:01 AM
the weather has been great its that time of year let heaven begin good luck to all of yall i havent seen any big bucks yet killed only a doe that came in 20 yds she came rite into my drag rag that was sprayed with bow hunters set up

Hunting Tarheel
09-22-2004, 12:26 PM
"How'd your plots fare in the heavy rains Heel?"

I am going to find out tomorrow or Saturday. I went ahead and bought some more stuff in case I need to replant. I will let you know but I am pretty sure the oats I planted will be history. If it all is fine I am going to scout a little and hang my stand.

You are right about this weather--it is incredible.

SlipperyHill Mo
09-23-2004, 10:15 AM
Have not planted them yet. Going down this weekend. Too wet last weekend. Out of town the one before. This is the latest we have ever waited, hope we get it done.

dawg51
09-23-2004, 08:08 PM
New to the forums at Woody's. Ramey, your old roommate got me started on this and just wanted to let you know that I also hunt Talbot Co. I am a member of Kennesaw BushWhackers and have hunted with them for 4 years now. I have hunted White Oak with Gates last year and really enjoyed it there. Will definitely be dropping by this year to see ya'll and hope to finally get to meet you. Later.

Hunting Tarheel
09-23-2004, 09:52 PM
Well guys --always expect the unexpected.

I went today and believe or not my oats held and look great but the stuff I paid to get planted look bad. Acorns are down big time.

Found a great stand place but I cannot figure out my new summit viper-I may have even broken it today--it has got me down big time.

ICSCamoHunter
09-26-2004, 07:38 PM
Now Heel, how hard can it be to hang a stand? Just kidding! How do you think you may have broken it?

Well, I didn't get to hunt this weekend. 3 of our guys did and no one killed anything. One guy saw a coyote, and another saw a spike with 12 - 14" daggers on top. Sounds weird if you ask me. Food plots are looking good. Acorns are down everywhere and still falling according to their reports. Looks like we're going to get some rain from Hurricane Jeanne, that is unless she gets turned around like she did in the Atlantic. Been a weird season for storms. But our foodplots like the rain.

Anybody else have any luck?

2 weeks til muzzleloader! 3 til modern Firearms! and 4 til I go to Illinois!

Danny_GA
09-26-2004, 07:54 PM
One yearling doe was taken at Lost Gate this weekend and a small 8 pointer missed.

I was able to get two plots broken and will plant them next weekend. I have not been in hurry this year with all of the acorns on the ground. I am trying to time things to be raedy once the acorns start running out.

BROWNING7WSM
09-27-2004, 08:35 AM
None taken on our club this weekend.. I didnt see any. One member saw 13 total, all Does and babies but couldnt get shots.. It was awfully warm done there.Plenty of acorns , still hearing them fall to my suprise.. Several new rubs and small scrapes.. Maybe it will start cooling off soon...

Hunting Tarheel
09-27-2004, 09:45 PM
"Now Heel, how hard can it be to hang a stand? Just kidding! How do you think you may have broken it"

You are right ICS. When it comes to putting some thing together I am an idiot. I never use my toolbox cause I hardly know what to do with it. I am good with anything else besides that and electronics. I know the law and I know finances but not building, putting together something.

I bent the latches to **** but thats it. I got stuck up the tree. I will give you a good deal on it if you want it. I need a ladder stand. All of this is the very reason why I plan on joining your club next year if you will still take me.

struttinsouthern
09-29-2004, 02:19 AM
ok this is how it goes by georgia law you are not allowed to carry a fire arm with you while bow -hunting sept11-oct15 then when fire arms season (not muzzleloader season yall did say"" rifle"") kicks in you can bring a high powered rifle to the stand while bow hunting :flag:

BROWNING7WSM
09-29-2004, 07:23 AM
HUH??? ::huh:

Danny_GA
09-29-2004, 08:56 AM
struttin

That about sums it up.

ICSCamoHunter
09-29-2004, 09:52 PM
Well, if you're interested in a ladder stand, you might be in luck. There is a guy who hunts between our property and yours, that lives about 5 minutes from you (just down from Dogwood country club) and he builds ladder stands. They have nice sturdy ladders and extra roomy platforms. They have a sitting platform and a standing platform. Not to mention they are taller than most ladder stands, the top of the seat is 17 feet if I remember correct, putting eye level at 20 feet. He also makes extensions for them if you want them taller. We have 3 or 4 of them on our place, if interested maybe you can take a look at one of ours. I think he only sells them for like $125 or somewhere close to that if I remember correctly.

As far as a summit climber goes, not interested. I like, nope, let me rephrase that, I love my Ol' Man climbing stand and a close second is my API GrandSlam Supreme. I hunt alot out of loc-on stands with ladder sticks as well.

If we have an opening, we'll take you under our wing and teach you a few things heel, :) I'm sure hoping to connect on one this weekend. I've been hunting at my house this week. I saw 5 bucks in my pasture Monday night as Jeanne poured rain. 1 was a big wide 8 or 10 point, and 2 were nice and tall 8 points with approx. 14-15" spread. Two others were there too, but they were much smaller. I passed on a 8" spike last night waiting for the bigboys to arrive.

You coming down this weekend Heel?

BROWNING7WSM
09-30-2004, 03:24 PM
Had a chance to hunt today, so I drove down to the lease and got there right at day break. I hunted my stand in the pines, and as I just got settled in about 7:40 I saw movement in front of me. I had a Doe coming to me . When she got about 40 yards in front she got behind some thick stuff. Poof she never appeared again. They seem to be moving early in the mornings right now. Gonna try to make it back for ML season..

Hunting Tarheel
10-01-2004, 12:01 PM
Well ICS--I just bought a ladder stand for $120.00. I would like to see one of those you are talking about. I think I am going to hang here this weekend and make it down next weekend--I will have my stand by then. Good luck wherever you hunt this weekend ;)

ICSCamoHunter
10-03-2004, 05:03 PM
Well, let's just say that the last weekend of bow season was somewhat interesting at our place in Talbot county. I started the weekend off by walking up on a 2 1/2 to 3 foot rattler saturday morning in the dark. After a quick shorts changing, I regained my composure and hunted without anything being seen. One member saw 4 does feeding heavily on muscadines and acorns.

Hmmm, let's see, midday found a couple of us making sure our smokepoles were ready for next week.

Oh yeah, then came Saturday evening. I climbed high over a lush, Biologic foodplot. At 5:30, I look down and across the plot, and at 19 yards I see a 4 - 5 foot rattler come slithering out of the pines into my plot. After a quick challenge from a fellow member, I decided to see if I could hit the snake with my bow. I stood, I drew, and WAALAA! I cut his nose off. I had a nice blood trail, but couldn't find any helpers to go help me track. I told the other guys I thought I heard him crash, but to no avail.

Sunday morning I decided to hunt the other side of the property and get away from the rattler haven I had been near on Saturday. The wind was right, the lanes were clear. All seemed good. Then I heard deer blowing due west of me. After deciding that they had to be blowing at something else, I resumed my concentrated thinker position. Then I saw it, there not 20 yards from me, slinks in one of the largest bobcats I have ever seen. No lie he was 4 feet from nose to tail and super fat. He appeared and disappeared just as quietly. Then I figured what had make the deer blow as he came directly from them.

All in all, very exciting weekend. But could have done without the first part. Bring on the GUNS!!!

Ga-Spur
10-03-2004, 08:57 PM
Can you take a .22 and a bow to hunt coyotes with?

Danny_GA
10-03-2004, 09:51 PM
Ga-Spur

Not during deer archery season.

Hunting Tarheel
10-04-2004, 11:20 AM
ICS,

I want you to clean up that snake problem before I join ya here. What in the heck do you do when you walk up one in the dark? I found my dads old smokepole this weekend but cannot find the kit so I am going to wait till next year I guess. Cannot wait until the 16th gets here--my stand came in the mail --weighs about 100lb but think I will put it out this weekend.

Good shot on the snake---if that is really true!

ICSCamoHunter
10-04-2004, 06:40 PM
Well, I did hit the snake, but I wasn't even to interested in tracking him. I think I sliced his front inch of nose off. He did leave alot of blood as he slithered off. I wished I would have pierced him to the ground, but oh well.

As far as walking up on one in the dark, all I could do was turn into a bushhog and go around. Lucky for me I was running late, so the sun was coming up helping me to see (I didn't have my flashlight).

Hunting Tarheel
10-05-2004, 02:24 PM
That is one heck of a shot. Good thing you brought an extra pair of shorts. I cannot wait until the 16th.

Hunting Tarheel
10-06-2004, 09:47 PM
ICS,

When are you going to Illinois? I am going to put my ladder stand together this Sunday and I will probably need help for about 30 minutes sometime to tie it up. If you will be gone I will try and get some one from here to come down with me.

ICSCamoHunter
10-07-2004, 11:04 PM
I'm leaving for Illinois two weeks from Saturday. We're actually hunting from the 24th through the 30th. I can't wait! The reports from there are awesome so far, and the rut isn't even started yet.

I'm not going to be there on Sunday this weekend. I'll be there Saturday. Would be glad to help if I can.

Hunting Tarheel
10-08-2004, 08:12 PM
ICS,

That is great about Illinois. Will be looking forward to hearing about it when you get back. As far as the stand--I am not putting it toghether until this Sunday --it has so many bolts and screws so I am going to do it here and then take it down next weekend for opening day. I will just hunt on the ground Saturday morning and if someone comes down with me I will put it up afterwards if not I may grab you for a few minutes when you get back from Illinois.

I am so excited too about this year. I have saved my days off and have Thursdays and Fridays off from the 2nd week of the season until Thanksgiving all except for one weekend. Good luck

ICSCamoHunter
10-10-2004, 09:15 PM
Well, I'll be there opening weekend heel if you want to put it up. Just let me know.

Muzzleloader weekend came with a little bit of success at our camp. One doe was killed as she vacuumed acorns from the ground. 3 others were seen too far to shoot, and I saw a unihorn buck - one sweeping beam about 15 - 16 inches long with no points coming from or sign thereof. He must've broken the other. He was a young deer.

We did however locate a large number of fresh scrapes all over the property.

Noone saw a deer whatsoever except in the hardwoods. The foodplots are vacant and looking good. That's ok, they'll be ready when the acorns are gone (about the time I return)

BROWNING7WSM
10-11-2004, 08:18 AM
... Was uneventfull for me as I saw nothing. Several members saw some deer but didnt get any shots. It was awfully muggy. Cant wait till gun opener, looks like the waether should be alot better..

Danny_GA
10-11-2004, 04:27 PM
I managed to take a 1.5 year doe on the family farm with my side lock this morning at 8:10 in a light rain. She had a fawn which means she bred as a fawn which is really good news around here. She dressed out at 72 lb.s (5 - 7 lb.s above average) and had a stomach full of Chestnut Oak Acorns.

I really looking forward to this weekend's gun opener. I will have two daughters, one possibly two future son in laws, and of course my bride hunting with me. It will truely be a family event!

Danny_GA
10-11-2004, 04:38 PM
The Chattahoochee Valley Branch will have it's fall meeting on Thursday, Oct, 21, 7:00 PM, at the Phenix City Shriners Club. We will have a hotdog supper, a presentation on aging deer on the hoof followed by a shoot don't shoot slide presentation, raffle for a deer stand, and drawings for door prizes.

There is no charge for the meeting and you need not be a QDMA member to attend.

It is about a 45 minute drive to the Shriners Club from Talbot County and if you come down for a long weekend it will be an informative meeting and a chance for more of us Talbot County Hunters to meet.

Let me know if you are interested in attending and/or need addittional information.

SlipperyHill Mo
10-11-2004, 04:53 PM
Only 2 hunters at Slippery Hill this past weekendMy buddy killed a nice doe Sat. PM about 6:00. He was over acorns. That is the place to be right now and the acorns are still falling.

Went by Chapmans Sat nite to drop off deer and he said he only took in 8 so far. Very slow!!

riddler
10-11-2004, 11:42 PM
I have hunted Talbot for 10 yrs. I have 300 acres near Geneva. I am new to the forum. Good stuff, I will keep in touch.

BROWNING7WSM
10-12-2004, 12:40 AM
Welcome to the board.. Always good to hear from other hunters from Talbot..

BROWNING7WSM
10-12-2004, 08:26 AM
Since we had two Talbot threads, I got with Delton and he combined both of them. All post from both should still be there..

leoparddog
10-12-2004, 11:25 AM
White Oak has yet to kill a deer this year. This is unheard of in our club. Johnny Chapman said on sunday that last year on ML opener, he took in 80 deer. As of the reporting time, he only had 2 in the cooler. Quote: "He was standing there with his hands in his pockets and his lower lip stuck out."

Just about everyone (15 guns or so) hunted both in the woods and in the foodplots and we took zip.

Are they moving at midday? What's up with the hunting this fall? I guess we'll have to wait for a good hard freeze to get them moving. ::huh:

BROWNING7WSM
10-12-2004, 11:28 AM
Were waiting on that freeze.Half of our land was clearcut 2 yrs. ago and there is browse for them everywhere. They dont have to move..

SlipperyHill Mo
10-12-2004, 03:29 PM
If find the answer please let us know. We saw very little but one member got a nice doe Sat. PM. AT 8:30 Sat nice Johnny said he had 8.

That is slow!!

Hunting Tarheel
10-12-2004, 09:55 PM
ICS,

I appreciate that if it is not too much trouble. It is put together for the most part it is just a matter of setting it up. It would have taken hours if I had not put it together here. Whatever time is conveinient for you. If you were planning on staying in the woods all day just let me know ---it is really important to me for it not to be inconveinient.

Also---if you still have an opening I am ready to join your club when an opening arises. I would not be planning on hunting there this year if you do have an opening so maybe a discounted rate might be appropriate just for this year. If not I would like to be considered next effective opening ASAP to hold the spot. Let me know.

Danny_GA
10-12-2004, 10:38 PM
Thanks for having the two Talbot Co. threads put together. I did not realize we had two going.

I am afraid that it is going to be hard to pattern deer this weekend with all of the available food on the ground. They just don't have to move much.

Earlier in the thread someone asked about the Talbot Co. rut. I believe Nov. 10 is the magic day, but have seen more bucks the two weeks before.

ICSCamoHunter
10-13-2004, 06:23 PM
Talbot County Rut -- Between Nov. 7 and Nov. 17 typically on our place. A few years ago we saw it as late as Thanksgiving though.

Heel -- Should be there, as long as my side work doesn't kill me first. I'll be there. I usually hunt to between 10:30 and 11, so anytime after that is fine. We can talk about membership then. The president, my father-in-law, will be there and he would have to make the decision on fee for this year. I would guess it hard to discount this season as we ended up 2 short. But it's his call.

One other member killed a doe on Sunday morning, so we got 2 for the muzzleloader weekend and the season as of now. The weather is shaping up to be nice for opening weekend. Hope it gets them moving more.

Hunting Tarheel
10-14-2004, 11:07 AM
That's ok Johnny. Maybe it would be better not to even mention it to him then. I would not want to get off on the wrong foot with anyone in the club---I thought it might be an idea since I plan on only hunting down the road for this year at least. I would like to do something though since I plan on stopping by and for all your offers to help me over the past year.

I will stop by around 11:30 or 12 assuming I am not dragging one out. :D

leoparddog
10-14-2004, 04:32 PM
I've decided that this weekend I'm going to abandon my regular hunting spots and hunt them where they are and not where they usually are.

So I'll be sneaking and peaking in the thick stuff. - kinda crawling around on my belly like JFK :bounce:

maybe hang a climber overlooking a bunch of briars and maybe some grapes.

SlipperyHill Mo
10-17-2004, 05:32 PM
Sounded like a war zone Sat. AM in Talbot. We killed 4 does and saw a lot of other deer, 3 spikes and a 6 were seen. Neighboring club killed and nice 8 that field dressed at 160#.

Slow Sunday AM and Sat. PM, it warmed up a lot.

Good luck guys.

Danny_GA
10-17-2004, 08:53 PM
One doe taken and one lost this weekend. A good many yearly bucks seen. Not as much shooting as I was expecting with the cool weather Saturday morning.

riddler
10-17-2004, 09:16 PM
We saw lots of deer this weekend but nothing of any size. We had 5 people hunting and saw 23 deer total. That included Friday evening muzzleloader as well. Most of the deer were in the acorns and seen in the evenings. There was alot of shooting around our club. Several scrapes... Also got two nice 8-pointers on a trail cam.

ICSCamoHunter
10-17-2004, 10:11 PM
Well, opening weekend of firearms has arrived. Our club had slight success over the weekend. One member hunted Friday morning and saw a small bobcat, and a small yearling in the afternoon. He also killed an amazing shrinking deer at 160 yards, which turned out to be a buttonhead that he shot for a mature doe. We all laughed hard at that one. Another member shot a 1 1/2 year old doe. A 4 point was seen, alot of squirrels and rabbits, and we welcomed a new member into our midst. A big welcome goes out to Hunting Tarheel as our 9th and newest member.

Well, now that all is said and done, I'm off to begin washing, packing, and loading for my trip to Illinois next week. Good luck to all while I am gone.

Hunting Tarheel
10-17-2004, 11:10 PM
Well thanks ICS. I am actually excited about it. I was even thinking today of maybe trying to hunt there one afternoon this week. Got any suggestions on where I should try if i do. Good bunch of guys there and I am looking forward to making a good contribution for the future.

Bust a big one in Illinois.

ICSCamoHunter
10-18-2004, 11:11 PM
Well, let me think.......... I would think up in the front where we went and looked at the ladder stand on the edge of the oaks and pines, with the foodplot would be good. If not that, the tripod where I killed my buck last year would be good. it's a matter of being in the right place at the right time in whatever stand you choose. I've got a few other ideas, but not sure how to describe how to get to them. They're not real visibile on the map. I would focus on a good food source though.

One other deer, a doe, was killed on our place this past weekend (sunday). In fact it was her first kill. She shot the deer right at daylight with her husband in the stand with her. He climbed down, took the deer to camp, did the necessary chores, all the while she kept hunting til nearly 12:30. Let me tell you, she's gonna get the big bucks if she keeps hunting like that.

BROWNING7WSM
10-19-2004, 11:16 AM
We had a total of three Does killed.. Several small Bucks were seen but no shooters.. All I saw was a flock of turkeys Mon. morning. All in all it was a good opener for us..

sgsjr
10-21-2004, 08:29 AM
Have went hunting every evening since opening day. Seeing a doe or two each afternoon. Not witnessing a whole lot of movement. Also, seeing very few deer beside the roads leaving Talbot each morning at 5:30.

SlipperyHill Mo
10-21-2004, 09:06 AM
As I have said before, the deer density is way down in a lot of Talbot county. Too many does are being killed!

LIke you said SGSJR, I do not see near as many deer on the roads as I used to. I bet the density is half of what it was 10 years ago.

Danny_GA
10-21-2004, 10:23 AM
I agree and respectfully disagree.

Agree
Our deer density is down. Ten years ago I would see an average of twenty deer at night on Highway 36 between Woodland and Waverly Hall. Now I will see only a couple. In addition a State Biologist also confirmed our population is down, but still probably around 40 deer per square mile.

Disagree
Our population should still be lowered in places and the doe harvest maintained in the other areas. Our club harvests does five to one over mature bucks with an average of one slip up per year (based on a three year average). I do not think we have over harvested does and we are seeing a more balanced sex ratio. For example there were around a dozen yearling bucks seen opening weekend. Ten years ago that would have been two dozen does and most of the yearling bucks harvested. Fewer does are being seen because, yes there are fewer of them which is good, but they are now hunted hard and a mature doe with twin fawns can be a challege to see and harvest.

When the doe population is lowered they become more productive which counter acts a heavy harvest. For example on our farm in Woodland where the does are hunted hard all of my 3.5 year old does have twin fawns and I harvested a 1.5 year doe this season that had a fawn of her own. That means she bred as a fawn herself which is an indicator of excellant herd health. In addition her body weight was 7 to 10 ponds higher that what we see on our lease and Big Lazer WMA which is only ten miles away.

You always have the ability to reduce your doe harvest when and if you reach the optimum level. I personally feel that it is very difficult to over harvest does using legal means and if you do, the deer will quickly repopulate with reduced pressure.

sgsjr
10-21-2004, 11:02 AM
It is hard to reduce pressure on the leased land adjacent to yours.

leoparddog
10-21-2004, 12:38 PM
WhiteOak is centered around the waterplant lake south of 116 - we've got about 3000 acres.

We've definitely thinned out our does over the last few years. Our average doe harvested is much older now with many being 3.5 yrs old. We don't see the does we used to, but on average we do see many more bucks as they have to go cruising to find hot does.

Our average buck harvested last year was about 3.5 yrs old and we took about 12 of them.

Our club is much smaller now than it used to be, down from around 37+ to 25-28 now. Our harvests are down too, since there are fewer of us, and we don't move the deer around as much since there are fewer of us in the woods.

A person I know like to drive the roads in Talbot after dark and look for deer - the last I heard he still sees plenty of deer esp around Hwy 36 and around Talbot. I haven't spoken to him about it this year though.

ICSCamoHunter
10-21-2004, 08:57 PM
I have to agree somewhat that the deer density is down. We've had our lease since the '92 season and we used to see many more at a time. However, the place was fresh cut and you could see. Now we have pines that are thick and cut down our visibility considerably. However, though the density seems lower, we are seeing a much more balanced herd. We typically kill 3 - 4 does per buck each season. We onnly have 442 acres, but the most we've ever killed in a season was 19 deer, of which 4 were bucks.

I think one thing that could affect the reduced road sightings is the popularity of foodplots over the past number of years. I know nowadays, it's not uncommon to trailers full of tractors, 4 wheelers, and planting equipment almost any weekend in the county. I know we have them spread all over our place. I can't help but think that by increasing food sources away from roads, draws deer inward. Iknow not every club has plots, but more and more are starting.

Well guys, hold down the fort while I'm gone. I'm leaving for Illinois Saturday morning and will be gone for a week. Good luck to all.

reddawg9
10-22-2004, 09:52 AM
Ever Sence We Have Been Shooting 10 To 15 Does Off The Place In Talbot We Have Been Seeing A Hole Lot More Buck Sign,we Are Still Seeing Does About Every Time We Go Out,just Not Seeing The 3.5 Yr Does Any More Witch Is Good,they Will Run Off The Younger Does.
As Danny Stated:we Shoot To Does Witch Where 1.5 Yrs Old With Fawns,know When Was The Last Time We Saw That.
Other Thing That Has Made It Harder To See Deer This Last Couple Of Yrs The Acorn Have Not Been Right, Deer Have Been Having To Move To Find Food And When They Find It They Stay Until It Is Gone.
I Think Hunters Are Finding Out That Food Plots Do Make A Change.

How Much Buck Sign Have Ya'll Been Seeing?
We Have Found Alot Of Horn Trees The Last Couple Of Weeks,and A Hole Lot Of Scrapes, Maybe The Time Is Coming Soon,it Would Be Nice If Ti Would Get Cold.

Heading Down Know To Get In The Stand For The Afternoon Hunt,good Luck To Every One Run Some Toward Hwy 36 & Big Lazer Creek.

gregj
10-22-2004, 10:19 AM
I hunted opening day of muzzleloader and opening day
of regular gun season. On muzzle loader day i saw a
very large bodied buck with wide spread plus a young 8 pt
and a spike. Never got a shot at either. Buck fever took over when i saw the big one, and the other two were just off our lease and i wouldn't take the shot.
On opening day of regular gun season i again saw the young 8 pt but he was hanging out just off our lease
in a food plot the adjacent club has close to our line.
In the evening i saw another nice 8pt on our land but he busted me before i could gete the gun up.
I know one of the guys who hunted during bow season
who claims to have seen over 20 deer (all does and fawns)
duriing bow season. Probably saw the same deer several
times over. I myself have only seen one doe so far.

sgsjr
10-22-2004, 10:20 AM
A drop in the density, to a point, is a good thing. Talbot needed it but I think, with the number of hunters we have, we are at a point that the density need to be maintained about where it is. In my part of the county, we have a hunter on every hill.

I am concerned that everybody hunting and reading magazines are now wildlife biologist. Each managing with their own theories and many contradicting the next tract of land.

I personally would like to see the season not come in till the first Sat in November.

Danny_GA
10-22-2004, 10:39 AM
redawg,

We saw a lot of rubbing and some scrapes last weekend. In years with lots of acorns (this year certainly rates at the top for acorns) ruuting activity seems to be more intense. The bucks act like they have alot more energy. We should have a strong rut this year unless warm weather settles in.

Danny_GA
10-22-2004, 11:04 AM
sgsjr

Times are changing and yes a lot more people are educating them selves about deer biology and management. I believe that is a great shift as it indicates some hunters are moving away from just being consumers to being managers. This is good for the resourse and the tradition of hunting in general.

You are also correct that there are many different techniques being used and this is human nature. Biologist don't even always agree with each other. The solution to this is additional information and education based on the latest research.

reddawg9
10-23-2004, 11:25 PM
Man I Hunted All Day Friday And Sat. Morning Over Some Great Buck Sign And Ahole Lot Of Acrons(is The White Oak Crop Unbelievable Or What)and Did Not See A Deer All Week End Ther Were 6 Of Us In Camp And Not A Person Saw A Deer.
I Sure Do Hope The Cooler Weather Will Hurry Up And Come On In.
How Did Eveyone Else Weekend Go, Hope It Was Better Then Mine?
We Normally See Deer All The Time We Are In The Woods I Guess This Moon Coming On Has A Big Factor And All The Food On The Ground.

Hunting Tarheel
10-24-2004, 10:42 AM
Reddawg,

I hunted basically all day Thursday, friday and Saturday and saw nothing but millions of Turkeys. I really am disappointed as well. It sounded like a war zone yesterday. I have not seen a deer in about a year now--whereas before they were everywhere. I am supposed to have 2 days off next week but am thinking about saving it until it gets colder---I am getting nothing on camera either. It really stinks and I do not have much sign this year either.

riddler
10-24-2004, 10:31 PM
We saw 16 deer between 3 hunters this weekend. I killed a nice 7 pointer. It should have been a 9, but it did not have any brow tines. It was by itself but the hocks were dark. Things should start picking up in the next couple of weeks.

sgsjr
10-25-2004, 08:17 AM
Saw a few does and a spike this weekend. Talked to all the local hunting camps and they are all very disappointed at there season so far. NO kills and few sightings.

just Keep on a few more years.

SlipperyHill Mo
10-25-2004, 10:11 AM
At Slippery Hill had a pretty good weekend, 5 hunters killed 3 deer, 2 does and a nice 10 point. The 10 pointer was killed Friday PM about 6 wandering thru the pines probably heading to some scraps. Came back to a grunt call at 40 yards. 16" inside spread, live weight 180# and his tarsal glands were just barely starting to smell. Neck was not that swollen. Rut anin't here yet. Johnny Chapman confirmed the rut is at least a week or two away.

A couple of spikes were also seen and some small does were passed. Deer were in the food plots in the PM.

Weekend of the 6th ought to be good!

WishboneW
10-25-2004, 01:43 PM
Tarheel, If you need any help reducing those noisy, pesky turkeys come this spring, I'll be glad to give you a hand.

Hunting Tarheel
10-25-2004, 03:26 PM
"Tarheel, If you need any help reducing those noisy, pesky turkeys come this spring, I'll be glad to give you a hand."

They are driving me nuts. I saw 3 hens thursday morning as quiet as can be but after that they raised cain for 3 straight days. Thursday night I heard just a little cluck and one walked within 10 yards of me and looked right at me and layed down and hid for 10 minutes.

I have never turkey hunted before but learned a whole lot about them this weekend.

WishboneW
10-25-2004, 04:04 PM
Tarheel, those turkeys will give you a heart atack 2 times a year. Once in the fall when you think it is a big buck sneaking past and then again in the spring when they gobble at your call or an owl, just at dawn. Nothing like it. Try it once and you will have a hard time getting it out of your system. You might even develop the opinion that deer hunting is just an excuse to scout for turkeys.

ICS, Jerod, and myself all hunt 'em in the spring.

As this is my first year in the club I am not sure who else there does.

Hunting Tarheel
10-25-2004, 06:16 PM
Oh hey man--I did not know that was you. Of course anyone in the club can hunt on my property anytime. I almost went to your place and hunted last Friday since you guys are seeing deer but waited.

Come on over and scout away---I just wish I could find deer. My place is your place and i mean it.

riddler
10-25-2004, 08:59 PM
Slippery Hill MO - Was the 10-pointer killed Friday taken to Fuller's deer cooler? I took my 7-pointer there on Saturday and he had a nice 10-pointer in there.

WishboneW
10-25-2004, 11:10 PM
Heel, Wes and I hunted Saturday, did not see a thing. Wes stayed and hunted sunday, but I have not heard how he did.

Maybe this week end will will show a little more. I did find a couple of pretty good rubs.

ICS indicaed that they appeared to be moving to the food plots. There were still plenty of acorns on the ground and more falling where I was hunting.

Thanks for the offer on the turkeys. Wait till spring. Nothing like it.

sgsjr
10-26-2004, 08:03 AM
Sunday night about 10:30 I heard two shots in Talbot and, last night about 1:30 I heard another shot. It seems the night hunters are out in force.

SlipperyHill Mo
10-26-2004, 11:18 AM
My buddy's 10 point was taken to Chapmans Friday PM. It was killed off our lease on Hut Rd. near Box Springs. Our camp is off Po Biddy so we usually use Chapmans.

The buck was not in full rut yet. Still seeing does in the food plots.

Good luck everybody!

Hunting Tarheel
10-26-2004, 05:37 PM
Wishbone,

When are yall going down? I am supposed to be off Thursday and Friday but with this weather and moon --I am just not sure I should take off these two days.

WishboneW
10-26-2004, 06:27 PM
Most likely Sunday. I have a funeral to go to Saturday and will not be able to make it.

I will be going to the quota hunt at Rum Creek next week, so I plan to take off Wed - Tue of next week. I will hunt the other lease that I am in after the quota hunt. That is historically the best time of the year, moon phase irrelevant, in that part of Monroe county.

Charles Alscheimer ( I am not sure of the spelling) has a good book out on hunting deer according to the moon phase. He believes that the three days prior to the first full moon past the atumnal equinox and the week after provide the best opportunity to take a trophy buck. That does not mean that you will see lots of deer. All of his statistics deal with Yankee deer and may not apply to the Confederates. Still a good read, though.

That would suggest that your plans for Thursday and Friday may be OK. If you do so, I would plan to sit on stand all day. I have killed many deer during the middle of the day, particularly when every one else gets down for lunch. Might just be they have us patterned.

Given the time of year, I am sure that there will be at least 2 others there.

Hunting Tarheel
10-26-2004, 08:24 PM
Sounds good Wishbone.

I was thinking of maybe hunting your property maybe one day in the ladder stand on the side of the property that ICS saw the snakes. I think he said a member who is never there from Alabama owns that stand. I would be kind of outta the way there --do you think that would be ok?

Good luck!

WishboneW
10-27-2004, 09:30 AM
That stand he described to you in an earlier post sounds good. I was referred to that stand by another member during muzzle loader week.

Also there are several stands down by the creek that would probably be OK.

During a week day you will likely be the only one hunting at this time of year. Which ever site you choose should be OK as there will be no one else there to interfere with.

If you follow the basics, ie. hunt the wind, be meticulous about scent control and movement you should have a good chance at seeing deer from any stand.

Danny_GA
10-27-2004, 10:57 AM
Nothing taken over the weekend at Lost Gate and sightings were down. There is a tremendous amount of both rubbing and scraping.

I hunted on the farm Monday morning and saw 1 mature doe with 2 fawns and 2 additional yearling does.

This morning I saw a 2.5 year old buck (7 or 8 pointer) that needs a couple of more years.

Hunting Tarheel
10-27-2004, 03:01 PM
Sounds like it is getting started Danny. Thanks for the update.

humantermite
10-27-2004, 09:46 PM
HELLO!!!!

Hope everyone is doing well, and has had some rememberal times in the outdoors. My wife and I have only hunted 1-1/2 days in Talbot Co., but we were each able to harvest a doe.(SAUSAGE!!!!!!) :clap:

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!

Danny_GA
10-27-2004, 09:48 PM
Termite,

Are you and your wife coming down this weekend? We need to get together for dinner sometime during the season.

reddawg9
10-27-2004, 10:09 PM
Danny
When Did You See The Deer You SAW Yesterday And Today?

Where You Hunting Over A Food Plot Or In The Woods?

Just Asking Trying To Find Out When The Deer Are Moving,trying To Decide To Go In The Woods At First Light On Friday,or Wait Until A Little Later, Do To The Fact Of The Full Moon.

If You Do Not Mind Me Asking Where Is Your Club Located?
We Hunt Off Of Hwy 36,next To Big Lazer Creek.
Thanks, Dog

Danny_GA
10-28-2004, 10:54 AM
redawg

Tuesday: Mature doe, yearling doe, and 2 fawns at 7:47 AM. 1 additional yearling doe at 8:08 AM.
Wednesday: 2.5 year old buck at 8:04.
Thursday: Mature doe, yearling doe, and two fawns at 7:54 AM. Yearling doe at 8:27 AM. 2.5 year old buck at 8:50 Am. Everybody came through this morning.

This week I am hunting on the family farm on a long and narrow pasture separating 20 acres of hardwoods from recently thinned pines. The deer are feeding in the hardwoods(white oak, red oak, water oak, and chestnut oak) until daylight and then moving into the pines to bed down. The farm is on Highway 36 at the Woodland City Limits on the Thomaston side.

Lost Gate hunting Club is on both sides of the Buffington Road outside of Woodland bordered on the north by the Jeff Hendricks Road and on the south by Big Lazer Creek.

You will need to hunt transition areas between food and bedding, both morning and evening, until the full moon wanes.

Good Luck!

humantermite
10-28-2004, 10:36 PM
Danny
We will be coming down for Saturday and Sunday. We'll be leaving from
work Friday afternoon. We also plan on being down for the whole week of
Thanksgiving. We would enjoy meeting you and your wife and going out to
eat.

Thanks for the good info about the deer movement. Maybe it will help our
success this weekend.

Danny_GA
10-28-2004, 11:34 PM
Went back out this afternoon and started seeing deer at 6:05. A doe came by with the 2.5 year old buck in tow. At 6:25 the two fawns came out into the pasture feeding on clover (mixed with fescue). At 6:30 the mature doe came out and I took her with a 200 yd shot. She turned out to be only 2.5 years old which is great for her to have twins.

Big Lazer WMA is having their first quota gun hunt. Six bucks from 2.5 up to 6.5 have been taken since Wednesday. The hunters are reporting seeing a lot of chasing! Looks like the fun is beginning!

Good Luck to everyone this weekend and hunt safe.

Hunting Tarheel
10-29-2004, 09:31 PM
Danny,

Hunted thursday and today on pine edges just off hardwoods and saw nothing. Tried hunting all day but the heat finally wore me out. Congrats on your deer. I am getting no pictures and not finding much sign at all on my place but hunted ICS's lease this morning and sign is everywhere. His whiteoak acorns are 3 times bigger than the ones I have for whatever reason. Hated giving up but I just had that feeling that it was a lost cause due to heat.

Welcome back termite!

livetohunt
10-31-2004, 10:32 AM
I have been seeing young bucks harrassing the does on our Talbot co. property. Almost every hunt late last week, I saw or heard bucks grunting. I think next week with the cooler weather, things should really pick up. Of course, the big boys are still laying around waiting till the does are ready. What is everyone else seeing right now?

Ramey Jackson
11-01-2004, 07:30 AM
This is really for the folks that have been hunting Talbot for a while...

Have you guys noticed a decline in the deer heard around the Woodland area? I've been hunting Talbot for 11 years. We used to kill approx. 60 deer per year on 3000 acres (mostly does). However, the only reason we were killing that many deer is b/c the biologist instructed us to. We were trying to acheive the ultimate "QDM" club.

On those days, you could sit on ANY of our 40 food plots and see 6+ deer at any given time. There were tracks EVERYWHERE!

Now, deer sightings are very low, tracks are not what they used to be, and kill numbers are down. It's getting to a point that I do not even find it fun anymore!

It this QDM practice what it's all hyped up to be? I totally believe in bettering the habitat, providing nutrition for ALL wildlife, and controlling the deer population. However, I not sure that the experts have their deer population formula correct.

Sorry for the rambleing...it's just my thoughts...

Hunting Tarheel
11-01-2004, 09:34 AM
ICS,

Illinois???????????????????? Tell us something exciting!

Danny_GA
11-01-2004, 09:51 AM
Ramey,

I am in my 12th season in Talbot County hunting around Woodland. My experience is similar in that our club of 1000 acres was harvesting 30 to 35 deer per year and we are down to 15 to 16 a year. The population is down, but that is intentional. Our population density was probably 65 deer per square mile and on average is probably 40 or so now. Sightings are down and that is a concern because sightings are a measure of hunter satisfaction.

So what do we do?

You have more options with your situation of 3000 acres. Consult with a biolgist and determine if your populatuion is now where it should be. If it is, you can adjust your doe harvest accordingly. If you still need to reduce your population (on the recommendation of the biologist) you will need to adjust your hunting tactics. With lower numbers and heavy pressure, does are not as easy to harvest or even observe compared to the days of old. You can no longer hunt the same stand year after year and see deer.

I am a strong supporter of QDM as I see it as the best management strategy for our deer herd, the habitat, and the tradition of hunting.

WhtOakWidowMakr
11-01-2004, 11:25 AM
WhtOakneed2getsumdeer.

I have all the same concerns as you stated there Ramey. We are basically 1 1/2 months into deer season and we have harvested I think 3-4 does and somebody shot like a 10" inside spread 8 pointer this weekend.

WishboneW
11-01-2004, 02:30 PM
Heel, did you take off Thursday & Friday?

What stand did you hunt this past week end?

Hunting Tarheel
11-01-2004, 03:21 PM
Hey Wishbone,

Yeah. I hunted my place Thursday till about 1:00 and drove over to your place Thursday afternoon. I went to the stand by the hardwoods and clover and oats plot that your Alabama member put up. (over near where ICS shot the snake). Actually there is another stand over near there that I accidentally walked to trying to find the stand that I hunted. it also is a ladder stand with a camoflauge blind around it overlooking the hardwoods. I did not know whose it was and decided not to hunt there but that place is primo. The biggest acorns I have ever seen were there---somebody needs to be there this next weekend.

You guys got more deer tracks than anyplace I have seen. I need help from you experts. I was comparing white oak acorns at my place versus your place and mine are smaller and so many are rotten. I am wondering if my oaks do not get enough sun or what. Anyhow I think I may have some issues do to not having some trees thinned or something.

How about you? How did it go?

sgsjr
11-01-2004, 03:38 PM
I agree in QDM to a point. In talking to clubs around Po-Biddy, they are now haveing trouble keeping members when there is nothing to see. I also think that over the high number years, we developed more "deer shooters" and very few "deer hunters." That is now being seeing buy a lot of people. I also think that 10 more years of 10 to 2 doe harvest will all but wind the sport up except for a select few. Maybe this is what the DNR wants with them cutting funds, not replacing rangers, etc. Are we seeing a downsizing of the sport.

For info only, I have been watching the deer in Talbot for 42 years.

Hunting Tarheel
11-01-2004, 04:29 PM
sgsjr,

Have you noticed the decline? To me shooting 11 deer a year seems extremely high to me. I believe in QDM because you are right some want to shoot everything they see. Shooting spikes and little 4 and 6 pointers has always bothered me. I have never hunted anywhere where I see 10 deer a weekend. I am discouraged on deer sightings because I have seen one in about a year now in the woods but I won't quit.

What do you think should be done?

reddawg9
11-01-2004, 09:04 PM
I Am Like Alot Of You Who Say They Like Qdm,but When Do You Draw The Line And Say You Have Kill Enough Does?

We Went To A Qdm Meeting Several Years Ago At Uga And One Of The Key Speacher Said Shoot Every Doe You See So It Would Make The Does Not Move As Much And Make The Bucks Come Out More,we Have Done That On Our Property,and Have A Hole Lot More Buck Sign Come Out And I Mean A Hole Lot More,and That Is Great.

But The Thing I Worry About Is We But Feed During The Summer(in Spin Feeders)and Have 12 Acreas Of Food Plots On 700 Acreas And Put Out 12 Cameras This Year And Have Taken Just A Had Full Of Pictures Of Fawns,and The Does We Have Killed This Year And The Ones We See Do Not Have Any Fawns With Them Or Do The Have Milk On Them,does The Mean I Need To Shoot More Does.

2000 Year Killed 25 Does 3 Bucks
2001 Killed 20 Does 2 Bucks
2002 Killed 15 Does 4 Bucks
2003 Killed 15 Does 4 Bucks

riddler
11-01-2004, 09:44 PM
I have hunted Talbot for 10 years and my clubs experience this year is just the opposite. We have 300 acres so it is hard to manage QDM on it if your surrounding neighbors do not practice QDM. We do not shoot any does, assuming our neighbors are taking plenty. From the sounds of the shooting, I think that they are. We are averaging about 4 deer sightings per hunt. We have killed 1 nice 9-pointer and let some smaller bucks walk. I retreived some film this weekend that was on a scrape and it had 4 different bucks on it.

Ramey Jackson
11-01-2004, 09:51 PM
There seems to be a trend here...at least from you guys that replied. I wonder if other counties are seeing the same thing?

I believe this is an issue that we as hunters/sportsmen need to pay close attention to.

sgsjr
11-02-2004, 08:56 AM
I live deep in the Talbot County woods and would say in my judgement, (not scientific) that the population is about half of what it was just five years agoe. Now the buck heard seems to be of much better age structure. It is at a level now that I would like to hold it. But reasoning will show that if the same pressure is applied now that has been applied in last 5 or so years, the decline will only accelerate. Also, people are paying big money to hunt deer so they have to shoot "their moneys worth."

But, to each his own and we will see what changes the future brings.

It is to be noted that I have feed the deer year round for about 25 years and this is the first year I have ever had feed go bad from no eating.

SlipperyHill Mo
11-02-2004, 09:37 AM
I agree with some of the above, the deer density is way down over the last 9 years and I am not sure the buck sightings are up. The buck/doe ratio has to be better, I am sure.

Bottom line is, we have killed too many does! I think the carrying capacity is much higher than the current level.

I don't know what the answer is. Can't tell my members not to kill any does.

WishboneW
11-02-2004, 10:24 AM
Tarheel, I have Wed -Friday off this week and Mone - Tue of next week. I will be hunting the quota hunt on Rum Creek Wed thru Sat and will likely be in Talbot County Sun. - Tue. I had to run down to my lease in Monroe across from Rum Creek last nigh and pull my stands out of the woods. The other member in my club called me at work and told me they were clear cutting the lease. The are cutting every tree, sweet gums included, and leaving stands along the gullies and creeks only. You can see from one end of 135 acres to the other.

This is my first year in the lease with ICS and co. so I know about as much or less than you do about the property. From what I have seen, it I am very positive about the people and the prospects.From the postings regarding deer sightings in Talbot, the same has been happening on my lease in Monroe. 4 years ago the large club next door went QDM. They baited and shot every doe they coul. Sounded like a war every week end. Now it is rare to see a deer, but about 2 years after, the deer we did see were larger, does included, and the bucks much better. Last year we killed 2 shooters, an 8 and a 7.

The land owner on the other side reports the same results.

Depends on what you want, horns or deer sightings.

Hunting Tarheel
11-02-2004, 12:11 PM
I am going Saturday morning and coming back Saturday but next week I leave Tuesday night and am coming back Saturday. I am doing the same the following week so I should be there quite a bit during the rut. That stinks about Monroe. That is one reason I am glad I have that 55 acres over there that only I can choose whether it is to be cut. It would be nice to see more deer there though and it was costly. Hopefully my luck will be changing a little when it cools some. ICS and those guys have done a great job with that property and the deer have everything they need. I also saw quail while walking back there--scared me to death.

Well first off I like to get some meat--and then look mostly for horns.

WishboneW
11-02-2004, 05:00 PM
The timber on the Monroe county place needed to be cut and is the reason that the land owner has the property, thus my hunting privledges. I just wish he could have waited 2 more weeks. Time is money.

I would rather have had a better balance between larger deer and more sightings / opportunities to take does at the expense of larger horns. That being said, I still like the potential of a trophy, thus I looked for a club in Talbot county and so far am very pleased with what I have seen so far.

We only took 4 deer a year between 2 people at our Monroe county lease and that seemed to work out OK until the club next door went QDM. My deer sightings on the WMA across the street dropped dramatically as well.

I would love to own my own as well. maybe in a couple of years.......

Hunting Tarheel
11-03-2004, 06:09 PM
Come on cold weather----it is on the way :D

Hunting Tarheel
11-04-2004, 09:47 PM
Where in the heck are you ICS? I image you are busy since you were gone a week and you are probably spoiled now from hunting in big buck land. Are going to take any time off in the next two weeks?

It is about to get right!

SilverbulletJR
11-05-2004, 10:04 AM
Hello everyone,
First time posting on this forum but I have been reading the posts for a couple of weeks now. I have seen some truly desheartening discussions here and in GON about the hunting successes in Talbot and other counties in GA. I have to say that I can strongly disagree that the hunting is or the herd is suffering. I have seen more deer in the 3 days I hunted thus far this year than in all of last year. To further that I have noted a ratio greater than 3 to 1 in buck sightings to doe. While the racks ranged from a monster 12 pointer 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 years(I missed the shot on) to spike , I have seen three 8 pointers in the 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 year range also. Not to say these are record breakers but you can't set aside the fact that the ratios and the quality I have seen are better than any other of the thirteen years I' ve hunted Talbot. I hope that this is not just a fluke for me but a sign of things for others to experience as well. I'll be in the Talbot county woods near Manchester this Sunday and Monday and I am optimistic as I can be. Plus, I'd sure like another shot on that monster 12 I missed opening weekend.

sgsjr
11-05-2004, 01:21 PM
Good luck but wait till the second week of December and tell us how many you see.

SlipperyHill Mo
11-08-2004, 12:39 PM
From all of my sources the bucks are chasing does hard this past weekend in Talbot.

Everybody needs to ber in the woods!

Any more reports?

tcoker01
11-08-2004, 02:05 PM
Hey Toliver you sound like your talking about my club in Talbot county, I know that there are 2 Kennesaw Bushwhackers in Talbot county but i'm sure your talking about my club specifically. We have about 2000 acres in the split between 90 & 208 and our camp is just across the bridge on the edge of Talbotton. My name is Todd Coker, i've been hunting there since 1988, my dad is an original memeber from way back. What is your name??? :confused:

riddler
11-08-2004, 09:08 PM
The chasing has started on our club in Talbot County off Highwasy 96. One nice 7-pointer was killed. Fuller's deer cooler had 7 nice bucks on Saturday morning and 12 on Sunday morning. He reported that several more had come in that people were not mounting and he just cut the horns off. This weekend should be prime.

WhtOakWidowMakr
11-09-2004, 09:07 AM
Todd, did you get anything from up north last week?
sg

tmooney
11-09-2004, 10:56 AM
Hey Toliver you sound like your talking about my club in Talbot county, I know that there are 2 Kennesaw Bushwhackers in Talbot county but i'm sure your talking about my club specifically. We have about 2000 acres in the split between 90 & 208 and our camp is just across the bridge on the edge of Talbotton. My name is Todd Coker, i've been hunting there since 1988, my dad is an original memeber from way back. What is your name??? :confused:
Todd - It's Terry Mooney. Toliver is Chris Micheals of all people. He tried to fool me as well. I can totally see him playing the role of Cartman Cop, How fitting!

How have you been doing? Eric said he ran into you the other day. I think were almost neighbors. I live down 61 past Braswell Mtn. Newer subdivision on the left called Wards Creek. Been a long time! Are you bow hunting Sheffield any? Send me a message, lets try and get together and hunt some. I don't get much time to go but i've had the itch all season.

-T

tcoker01
11-10-2004, 01:58 PM
Hey Terry, i thought that might have been you, no idea about Chris Micheals. Man this has been my slackest year hunting in Talbot Co. ever. I was gone for 2 weeks to Wyoming hunting and the first week of Nov. to Indiana bowhunting so that doesn't leave a lot of vacation time for the club, you know what i mean. I turkey hunted Sheffield but haven't been up there this deer season, it's only about 5-10 min from the house, i should be. They've killed a couple of nice bucks this year, and one guy shot a sure nuff grown one but all he could find was hair and a little blood, but judging from his wall he knows a big one when he sees it. word has it the big boys are just starting to chase with the 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 old bucks running crazy. I'm gonna burn this rest of my vacation and get down there this weekend and middle of next week. I'm due, it's been 2 years since i've busted off on a shooter size buck in Georgia. Holler back at me and we'll hit sheffield or a couple other places i got up here around this area. Tell the family i said hello. MY first one is due in January, so who knows what'll happen in next year.

leoparddog
11-14-2004, 11:40 AM
Not a bad week, but not a great one in North Talbot this week.
On Monday a short tined 7 pointer w a 19 1/2" spread was shot, followed by a very impressive 9 pointer on Wed. morning. I shot a nice 7 pointer with a 14 1/2" spread Saturday morning. All three deer were shot between 10 and 10:20 in the morning. No does were killed, but there were mulitple sightings of bucks chasing does. All three bucks were shot in the pines, or in a creek bottom between pine stands.

No real activity on the food plots yet, but some does have been spotted feeding right at dark. 13 deer in the book, 3 bucks/10 does as of Sat. afternoon.

riddler
11-15-2004, 09:57 PM
Buck activity seemed to slow down this week on our club. Last weekend they were chasing does. I hunted Thurs. - Sun. and only saw 1 buck and he was showing no rut sign. The last couple of weeks we have been seeing alot of chasing. It seems to have stopped now. Anybody experience the same thing?

SlipperyHill Mo
11-15-2004, 10:28 PM
Ridlder,

I feel the rut is over. Did not see much buck movement this weekend. A couple of nice ones were seen but they were not chasing. Scrapes seem to be drying up.

Johnny Chapman confirmed it Sunday. He said the rut is over.

Danny_GA
11-16-2004, 06:20 AM
I saw five does Monday morning with no bucks in tow. In the afternoon I saw a 2.5 year old buck in the PM by himself. The last time I saw him two weeks ago he was chasing the does. Scapes have dried up.

BROWNING7WSM
11-16-2004, 08:31 AM
... question for ya....Is there frost on the ground down there this morning? or has it frosted yet?.. Havent been down in a few weeks but going this weekend and was wondering.. We need a good frost to kill the browse on our lease..

sgsjr
11-19-2004, 08:10 AM
RUT OVER, ya'll are nuts! Oh, on second thought, it is, just stay home now and I will look after Talbot for ya'll.

Hunting Tarheel
11-19-2004, 10:50 PM
I am really just now finding scrapes on my property. A lot of my property is real real thick and they have been tearing it up the past week and a half. For whatever reason I do not see many deer on my place but when I do it is normally a good buck. I hunted a place I had not hunted before today and around 2 this afternoon he came charging down the hill right towards the scrape. It was so thick that he came within 40 yards and I could barely make him out. I was hunting O-T-G but he somehow knew something was wrong and disapperared. I put a couple of drops of tinks in his scrape with a fresh track in it and probably should not have.

I guess I have a lot to learn because nobody has been back there for at least 10 years but somehow he knew I was there. The wind was in my favor but I had my orange on and that is the only thing I can figure. I could barely see him and he was on a dead trot about 10 yards from his scrape and stopped suddenly and then was gone quietly back the way he came. It started raining hard about 2 minutes later.

WishboneW
11-22-2004, 09:06 AM
Heel, I believe you are correct about not putting the Tinks in the scrape, or, possibly, he picked up your scent from your boots, clothes or hands if you touched anything.

When I put out scent drippers for mock scrapes I am very careful to to use latex gloves, wear rubber boots that have only touched the ground at the hunting property, and wear fresh laundered clothes that have been stored in baking soda. Only put them on just prior to going in the woods.

I have never had any results from Tinks.

If scent was nt the answer, possibly he could hear your heart thumping or you hyper ventilating.

Hunting on the ground is exciting.

Hunting Tarheel
11-22-2004, 10:23 AM
Thanks Wishbone! Congrats on your doe by the way. Actually my heart was ok --I was just stunned that after sitting down 30 minutes earlier here he comes. And then I was stunned right after when he disappeared into thin air.
I am starting to figure my property out somewhat and it will help later on. Eventually I or someone else will take a real nice one there.

Did you go to Talbot this weekend? I was going to stay with ICS but it was pouring and I was soaked Friday and it was supposed to continue through Saturday. No one was there when I left the woods so I got out of Dodge. Hope to meet you there soon!

WishboneW
11-22-2004, 12:49 PM
I went down Sunday afternoon. All was going well until about 4:40 when it started raining. I got soaked because I did not want to leave no put on my rain suit. Just too warm.

I learn more about the property each time I go.

I do plan on being there Friday after Thanksgiving and possibly through Sunday PM.

Hunting Tarheel
11-22-2004, 05:24 PM
I will stop by Saturday and say hello. How did everyone else fare there this past weekend? I was going to stay with them Friday but no one was there when I came out of the woods from my place and was not sure if the rain scared them away. I had a blast with Johnny/Gordon and everyone else the prior week.

WishboneW
11-23-2004, 09:16 AM
I did not see any one else this past Sunday. I usually am the only one who hunts on Sundays.

I will be there after Thanksgiving provided it does not rain and the wind is less than 15mph, depending on temp.

Congratulations on the 2 does you got!

Now for the big boy.

Hunting Tarheel
11-23-2004, 12:49 PM
It was a little embarrasing coming in with those two but it was nice getting the monkey off my back. I wonder if they were there at all last weekend. Was curious to see how they did. Johnny's got my number but I don't have his and his computer is on the fritz.

I am going to hunt Saturday morning but not sure yet if i will stay and hunt sunday. I agree --now for the big boy.

Danny_GA
11-23-2004, 01:00 PM
Browning

This reply is late but we have not had a frost yet. It is late this year which is not bad for me. I planted my food plots late because of the Sept. rains and big acorn crop. My brassacas are just 2 to 4 inches tall at the moment.

Hunting Tarheel
11-24-2004, 09:52 PM
Danny,

I am sure that will pay off by waiting. Speaking of that --have you ever had much luck with turnips? On the two properties I hunt they have not even nibbled. The darn things are getting as big a corn stalks and bulging out of the ground.

Danny_GA
11-25-2004, 11:10 AM
tarheel,

Turnips which are brassacas are usually not grazed until they go through several hard frosts. Even with that said sometimes it will take a year or two for deer to figure out they are suppossed to eat them.

With the acorn still available the deer are not using most food plots heavily at the moment. Once they run out I bet they will get into your turnips.

Hunting Tarheel
11-25-2004, 08:15 PM
Thanks Danny---that is what I am hoping. I really think that December hunting this year might be better than most years but i guess we will see.

SilverbulletJR
12-02-2004, 02:34 PM
Hey fellas,
Goin' huntin' tomorrow (Fri) down there and was wonderin' if anybody has seen any sign of the 2nd rut. I was thinkin' of rattling and maybe settin' out some scent bombs. Also, would like to know which type of grunt patten I should use (tending, lost, wandering, etc...).

BROWNING7WSM
12-02-2004, 08:07 PM
... I have not been down in a couple of weeks but its about that time for the Does that havent been bred to come back in heat.. Id say try some tending grunts..Good luck...

SilverbulletJR
12-06-2004, 10:25 AM
Man, I should'a kept my mouth shut talkin' about all those deer I saw the first two weekends of gun season. I think they've either all been killed or they just left. I haven't seen a deer in a month. I was hopin' you guys out there that are holdin' all the deer captive on your property will let 'em go so I'll at least be able to see some. I promise I won't shoot 'em.................... all. I sure hope some of you are havin' better luck than I am.

SlipperyHill Mo
12-06-2004, 01:20 PM
Seven guys hunted Friday Sat and Sun AM and no deer were seen. On member killed a nice doe Thursday AM.

Wish I knew where the are. Nocturnal, I am sure. Still see lots of tracks after the rains.

sgsjr
12-07-2004, 08:22 AM
5 more years of doe killing and Talbot will be wiped out.

BROWNING7WSM
12-07-2004, 10:28 AM
...You are correct. I believe our land is wiped out. This is pathetic..Guess its time to move on.. :(

SlipperyHill Mo
12-07-2004, 11:40 AM
I am sad to say but you are correct.

sgsjr
12-08-2004, 08:21 AM
Some are saying they are nocturnal, some say they are seeing less due to the acorn crop, others have other reasons. I live in Talbot, I am moving around in fields and cow pastures at night (working, not hunting). I am driving at night, I am watching fields out of my home window for hours and days on end, looking at fields that were full of deer 3 years agoe. I am here 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for 42 years, I have hundreds of acres that were full of large acorns, I also have dense pines. I dont just show up here 3 weekends in the summer and 6 during season and make random assumptions.

Someone, (and it not my group, we dont shoot does at all) has got to stop shooting all these does. I read an article several years agoe that stated that after several years of tropy management that the buck population would drop due to the drop in the doe population. I think we are here now. Talbot has heavy hunting pressure, there is a man on every hill and two in every bottom. I am not sure all of that cumulative pressure is figured in on the rate of drop in the doe population.

Dont get me wrong, I dont have sour grapes. I got what I was hunting for this season, as usual.

SilverbulletJR
12-08-2004, 10:26 AM
One thing that I believe we have to consider is that this deer season so far is the warmest on record. We are almost in the middle of December and we are experiencing lows in the upper 50's and highs in the upper 60's.
I believe that temperature affects deer movement. We all set our plans to hunt by what we believe the deer will be doing based on the assumption that they will do the same thing we've all known them to do in the years we've been studying and hunting them. Now that we have a new variable to throw into the mix (increased temperatures) I think that we need to adjust our way of thinking.
I know that photoperiodism is the main cause for deer to go into rut, but consider this.... photoperiodism (the changing of the amount of sunlight in a given region) changes at the same time that the temperature "tends" to fall. This year the photoperiod change took place as usual but the temperature has yet to change. How may this be affecting the "habits" of deer and their movement? I can't answer this question , I am not a biologist, but I do know that when I am scouting in the woods, I still see the same deer signs I have always seen. I probably see more signs than usual too. I don't however see as many deer on a regular basis as I am used to seeing. I also didn't really notice a profound rut either. Could this be by the lack of temperature change with the decreased sunlight? I don't know but, it is my belief that the numbers of deer are not down by a significant amount. I think they are out there, I know they are, I see their signs, and I think they have adjusted their behaviors based on the need to survive in an environment that is a little different than in years past. In short to say that I think they are "going with the flow" of their environment.
I am not giving up hunting, not by any means. I am however going take a little different mindset to how I anticipate deer movement and may even change my hunting behavior. :banginghe
I would like to know what y'all think about what I've written. :confused: :o :) :( :eek:

sgsjr
12-08-2004, 07:00 PM
I understand your point but you may have missed mine. I am here 365 days a year, day and night! They have to move while I am here. I dont care about rut and have hunted Talbot in weather just as warm. I know what I dont see in the fields in August that I saw 5 years agoe. They cannot change every pattern for every day of the year and stay hid from me.

Justify it all you want, but 5 more years of this and there will be plenty of openings in hunting clubs in Talbot.

Ramey Jackson
12-08-2004, 08:55 PM
You my friend are right...Most folk here @ Woody's think we are not educated enough to make statements regarding our deer heard. I had this conversation with others in another thread. They basically told me to let the biologist's do their job and be quiet.

The same biologist that told us..."if you want to manage your heard, shoot every doe that you see." Now, year to date...we have killed 16 deer on 3000 acres. :whip:

BROWNING7WSM
12-08-2004, 09:11 PM
Amen Ramey..It might take a college education to be a Biologist, but it doesnt take one to see this plan isnt working.. :(

livetohunt
12-08-2004, 09:13 PM
I have hunted in Talbot Co. for around 20 years, and I see more does and better bucks now than ever before. So opinions on this subject will vary from person to person. Also, I would much rather see 1 mature buck than 100 does. Don't take this post the wrong way, these are just my observations from where I hunt in Talbot Co.(which is near the Marion line)

sgsjr
12-09-2004, 08:03 AM
If they are here and nocturnal, then my part of Talbot has the smartest deer in the world, not only do they only move at night, but they hover right off of the ground so as not to leave any tracks.

I have a two acre food plots that are 12 inches tall, in between these rains every 3 to 4 days there will not be one track crossing it.

So keep buying into it.

I was in the barber shop in Thomaston the other day and a guy in there stated he could not wait for the day that he had to drive at least 100 miles just to see a deer track. On his land, if the hunters didnt kill at least 10 does each they could not come back.

Another spoke of a Talbot club that the landowner gives $50.00 each credit toward next years dues for each doe taken. With the dues of $1200.00 to start with and dropping from there.

So keep buying into it.

Talbot county as a whole is either sex from beginning to end, but the Big Lazer quota hunts are NOT! They trend toward buck only hunting limiting the doe days.

SlipperyHill Mo
12-09-2004, 11:22 AM
If the deer are there you will see tracks! I hunt in 4 different areas of the county and the overall deer population is way down on all of them. Some areas are better than others due to surrounding hunting pressure. I am sure some parts of the still have a good deer population, but in general from comments of quite a few different clubs, the population is down. They are not all nocturnal. Nocturnal deer do leave tracks.

I would rather see 100 does than one buck. If you got does, you got bucks!

SilverbulletJR
12-09-2004, 11:44 AM
I 'll bet that there is something going on in your area that has affected the deer if you aren't even seeing the signs of deer that you normally see. I don't debate that with you. In fact I really don't debate any of these topics with you.
I think that each sub region of the county may be experiencing it's own seperate and individual issues with the herd residing there. Your herd may be depleting. Are there a lot of clubs in your area that are applying a lot of pressure on the deer? Is the food souce still primarily acorns? If so, is this keeping them out of your fields and in the woods with the acorns?
I don't know and you may or may not, but I do think that by in large the overall herd is not significantly affected. Having said what I believe to be true in general I do think it is possible if not evident that the herd in your area is being affected.
I have seen a lot of deer this year.....but I saw them in the first two weekends of gun season and haven't seen a lick since. I have however scouted and I am still seeing fresh rubs, scrapes, and droppings. I know that there are deer in my area even though I don't see them.
If you ask ten hunters their opinion about how the harvest limit and doe killing has/is affecting the population you will get a mix of responses from both ends of the spectrum. I believe that is what really indicates that these issues are primarily sub-regional, and not indicative of the big picture.
When or if my area begins to experience this sub-regional problem, you bet your bottom I'll be every bit as bothered about it as you. Until then, I am going to thank God for the time I get to spend in the woods, for the deer he has gracefully allowed me to have on my table, and the family I get to share it with. :D

SlipperyHill Mo
12-09-2004, 04:39 PM
Just out of curiosity, what part of the county do you hunt? As you said, different parts of the county hold more deer than others.

Also, what is the hunter density around you and hwo many have they been harvesting?

leoparddog
12-09-2004, 04:58 PM
We might kill a few more deer on White Oak, if'n you'd come to camp and do some hunting! I know them TX deer are sexy, and us lowly "only hunt at White Oak" guys haven't done a great job of slaying them this year. We need your help! ::ke:

I'm going to be in camp this weekend hunting Saturday and Sunday. I hope to see you there. Please bring pics of them TX deer if you got some!

Oh, btw. One of the roads I walk and know intimately shows much fewer deer crossing than in in prior years. Maybe they got them some anti-gravity boots or have learned to jump completely over the road?

::gone:

SilverbulletJR
12-09-2004, 06:39 PM
I'm near Manchester. Our property is just inside the Talbot county line, and is primarily harwoods. We don't have a whole lot of pressure but we do have clubs on two sides of us. The one club that we are friendly with is trying to practice QDM but they haven't killed many does this year. Mainly due to not a whole lot of hunting this year by their members.They have taken 3 nice deer that I know of: an incredibly tall 9pt around 130, an average 8pt. and a nice 10pt. Their property is mainly planted pine about thirteen years old.
The other club we've had some problems with. So I can't say what the're seeing or shooting. I don't hear much from their direction though.
I can tell you that we've killed only three deer this year, all three average to nice 8pts. NO DOES. But we only have three folks hunting the property. Not that we won't take a doe we just aren't seeing many, but if I see a doe this weekend, I'll take her.
It reads like there are folks that are not happy with what I have to say, and that's fine. I am glad that I have the opportunity to say what I believe and respect what is being said. But you will not read any degrading words from me because I believe that you have the right to believe what you believe every bit as much as I do, and also you have the right to say/write it too. I also believe that it's okay to disagree. I'm not right and you're not wrong, because who's to say that someone's opinion is wrong. Not me. What's happening in your neck of the woods can definitely be different than what's happening in my neck of the woods.

SlipperyHill Mo
12-09-2004, 06:47 PM
I appreciate your responses.

From what you say your scenario is different from mine, hence the different results. Your pressure sounds a lot less than where I hunt.

Killing no does is one reason why you have more deer. That is part of my problem.

How many acres do you guys have?

Your info is very interesting and is helpful, we don't have to agree and probably we both are right. I do not take offense to anything you have written.

All feedback is good!

Good luck.

SilverbulletJR
12-09-2004, 06:54 PM
Small property.... only have 130 acres. Pines next door are 900 acres(friendly club) and 260 acres on other club(unfriendly).
Good Luck to you also.
Side note: Opening weekend I missed a shot (BIG BUCK FEVER)on a double droptined huge deer (probably 220-230 lbs.)that I am hoping will come to revisit me. He is definitely in my prayers.....AMEN! :D

BROWNING7WSM
12-09-2004, 08:18 PM
Sounds like we should get together and lease that 260 and have 390 to hunt.. :D ..I for one doubt I will be hunting our lease that weve had for 13 yrs. next year.. If we do we will get rid of some members that cant go without shooting Does for a year or two and grab some members that can..

livetohunt
12-10-2004, 03:47 PM
Browning7wsm,
Judging by your posts, I assume you have not shot any does the last 2 years. Is this correct?

BROWNING7WSM
12-10-2004, 04:13 PM
..Im not saying we havent shot Does. We have and do, what Im saying is to regain some population on our 580 acres is not shoot Does for a year or two..In that case we will get rid of several members that will not agree with that and try to get some that do agree with it so more deer will be around..

SilverbulletJR
12-10-2004, 04:29 PM
Browning.... Sounds like you've got a handle on what your property is experiencing and know what to do to remedy it.
Good luck.
I've got such a small piece of property that I am reliant upon others around me to do the right things to keep the numbers where they ought to be. That is impossible to expect. What I am thinking of doing is trying to convert my little piece of land to a destination instead of a thoroughfare. Granted we do get deer coming down out of the pines to feed on the acorns, but it seems that deer cross over my land to get to other food and water sources.
I am planning on creating a food plot about 3 acres large. What do you think? Is that large enough to encourage deer to come on in, versus pass on thru? Or should I create three 1 acre plots instead? Or go all out and plant all the open area I have. (about 10 acres)

BROWNING7WSM
12-10-2004, 04:41 PM
Food plots would help for sure. As for the size I would plant several 1/2 to 1 acre ones. Also since the club on the 260 is so "unfriendly", cant you try to get the lease from them so you increase the size of your land. Then you have more to work with..

riddler
12-10-2004, 06:40 PM
Our Talbot County property is 220 acres and we do not shoot does. We reply on our neighbors to keep the doe population in check for us. We have not taken a doe in about 5 years and it seems to be working. This is a family club with limited hunting pressure. 3 nice bucks have been killed this year and several smaller "legal" bucks have been passed. We try to draw the deer off of the larger tracks into our with food plots. It is very thick on our property to so there is plenty of places to hide for the deer. We have gotten some real nice night cam pics as well. I keep all of our deer sightings on a spreadhseet in my laptop computer and this has been a great year for us on deer sightings.

BROWNING7WSM
12-10-2004, 09:00 PM
I believe thats the answer. Thats why I want to change our club like that in a way. I would like to go 2 years without shooting any Does then maybe limit it to 1 a year..We have no problems harvesting legal Bucks. We usually harvest 5 a year with some members letting smaller legal ones walk.I just need to get rid of several members and replace them with ones with the same views. Our land borders Rameys lease.Ramey, have yall talked about or discussed maybe limiting Does for a year or so?

leoparddog
12-11-2004, 03:39 PM
I heard today that several camps around ours in N. Talbot around Hwy 116 and Chestnut Grove rd have at least 1 game cam picture and 2 other sightings of a cougar or two in our area. One of the local guys who is in our club has reportedly seen the pics.

Y'all heard of any big cats roaming around? Now that could make for an exciting deer drag out of the woods! :speechles :speechles :speechles

Ramey Jackson
12-13-2004, 06:47 AM
Browning - we will have a club meeting after the season...It maybe a good idea to get both clubs together and discuss concerns and ideas based off of the trends that we are seeing...What do ya think???

BROWNING7WSM
12-13-2004, 09:38 AM
.. PM sent.. ::gone:

leoparddog
12-13-2004, 11:49 AM
One of the guys in the club stopped by Johnny Chapman's and reported to us in an email that Johnny is down about 150 deer brought in from last year.

A survey of the deer coolers in the county might give us an overall perspective on the harvest and or population.

If any of y'all get the chance to stop by there other coolers, and can ask them please post it here.

BWANAMARK
12-13-2004, 03:12 PM
This is an interesting 2nd thread you guys started on QDM. I have hunted deer all over Georgia, etc., for 30 years, however I have only hunted Talbot for 2 years, this being number 2 (@White Oak). I also do not hunt there any the first 2 weeks in November, so I seem to miss the most action. With those pre-qualifiers, I am obviously not what you would call that knowledgeable on the local deer herd there. However, this year's chestnut acorn crop was the largest acorn crop that I have ever seen anywhere. I would say that White Oak had several tons of them to drop. Some were so large that they could cause a concussion. I have seen 25 nuts on the ground in one square foot in several areas. I saw a doe still feeding on a few remaining acorns just yesterday, but most remaining nuts are now covered deep in leaves. That kind of bumper crop changes travel and timing patterns (radically I think). The lack of a hard killing frost until this week changes things too re: available browse. I have only seen food plots with fair traffic in them this past 2 weeks. On thousands of acres with 2 or 3 or 5 people hunting from late November on, ain't that many deer have to work hard at avoiding us either. Nobody is around to move them around any or to interrupt their precious patterns. Telemetry studies show that even at 50 deer per square mile, you still are not going to see that many deer and the deer do not move out of town come hunting season. I obviously have no prior experience to compare deer sightings to in Talbot, but the buck sign looks great, I see deer almost every outing and I do not hunt does unless the season is ending and I am hungry. The shootable bucks I saw last year were at the end of the season - at lunchtime. I thought they might have been going out that way all year, while the woods are empty :yeah:

I will say that I see what (I think) is a lower than usual fawn recruitment. I have not seen a single doe this year with two or three little ones with them. Many does had no fawns with them in early October. I do see tons of coyote tracks and running deer prints along with them (of all sizes). (Now Max is saying cougar's too!!!! meow...). Predators change the mix of things. I have hunted deer where there were lots of wolves and by my lack of sightings I felt like you had to be a hunter extraordinaire just to see any deer, although they were plentiful at 20 to 30 a square mile. They are that much more careful.

Keeping more does is obviously a way to have more deer and to see more deer. I think the carrying capacity of the land is the single most important factor when worrying with ratios and killing all the does, etc. From what I have seen in the little slice of Talbot, the carrying capacity of the land is not even remotely being approached by the herd size. If the land will take and hold more healthy deer, then what's wrong with that? Here is a postage stamped size example: My brother has 40 acres in White County (Cleveland) that borders a farm and a subdivision. He plants the fields for the deer, but not with the same stuff in each one, so they are forced to go to different areas on the buffet line (corn, wheat oats, peas, etc., even okra (he swears they like it best). (Would you eat oatmeal for breakfast 365 times a year? Then why are all food plots planted with the exact same stuff?). A hunting club next door across the fence from him kills everything that walks, yet you can go on his place and see 15 to 20 deer in a morning's hunt. Used to be, 15 years ago, he had a few occassional does, now he has lots of does and many bucks. I saw two in one morning and photographed a big 8 a couple of years ago. A guy next door shot him - the biggest deer he had ever killed he said, so we told him why that deer was that big. Yeah, they go elsewhere and get shot at, but they know where the gals like to hang out and they will always come through there, no matter what. This year he shot a doe or two. We will probably take a couple of more this month. And yes, there is still one doe with triplets who likes to hang out there. Those four and many others will not be shot at, as we're saving them for buck bait for next year. If you were a buck, would go for the triple date young girl smorgasborg or jump the fence, dodge all the arrows and bullets next door, for a possible rendevous with one old granny doe who lives in bunker?

I have known a few that feed their families from venison year round, but I have known a whole lot more who throw out a lot of freezer burnt meat each year. As long as everyone takes only what they will actually use up, there won't ever be a population problem. I don't think I can pull the trigger on a doe with even the thought entering my mind that a biologist had ever said that killing more does will make my bucks bigger or more plentiful. Maybe that is so, but I like watching them in the woods and hopefully my 6 year old boy will too when he is 40. Genetics and the availability of groceries is what grows deer bigger. If it remotely gets to be like red top mountain park was - an 8 foot high browse line - ribs on deer showing - then let's have a big shoot down. :shoot: By the way, Saturday I saw a 1.5 year old deer with 6 inch spikes. I though that deer should have been removed from the herd for lack of trophy potential, but the regs say no.

Of course, this is just my opinion.................

WhtOakWidowMakr
12-14-2004, 11:19 AM
Nice observations there Mark, Sounds to me like you know what your talking about even though you have only been in WO for a couple of years. I may need to get some more of that warm apple juice to stay warm on these colds nights :bounce:

Here is my opinion/observations.....

Ten years ago, when I would tell people I was in a club with 3000 acres in Talbot County, I was "the man", all my buddies wanted to come as guests. It was a top notch county in the Peidmont that everybody knew about and wanted to be a part of(including myself). NOW......Im almost embarrassed to tell people I hunt in Talbot. For a few reasons...

1st, I was blinded to the fact that there are 30-40 county's in the state that have more, healthier, bigger deer than Talbot. I used to think, South Georgia, ahhh whatever, well "whatever" is in Talbot there is bigger and more of them in South Georgia. Not to mention county's east of Atlanta either. Bottom line, I thought Talbot was one of the best because thats where I hunted, totally my fault for thinking that.

2nd, what you all have been talking about on this post. Deer population is down on an average and we are still only killing(what some of us in our club call) Talbot County bucks, which is a 14" 8 pointer with 4-5 inch tines. Have we killed bigger yes, but after 10 years in Talbot, it is a 14" Buck county. I have too many freinds and co-workers that hunt elsewhere in the state and call a 14" inch 8 pointer a "small buck" when in our club/county that is a good quality buck.

3rd, Is what we pay for our Talbot County club. People fall out of there chairs when I tell them how much we pay compared to what they pay and in most cases we do have a little more land then they do, HOWEVER, they are killing more and BIGGER deer.

4th, We used to have 45-50 members on THE SAME 3000 acres that we now have only 20-25 members(main reason our dues are so high). But here is the problem, we killed more and probably on an average bigger deer than we do today. Why, we used to have guys in the club that "knew how to hunt" it wasnt because we had 20 more members(when we had 45 members we never had more than 20-25 guys hunting at one time anyway). We had guys that slap knew how to hunt(Not I). We still have a one or 2 of those guys in the club that you still kind of look up to and respect, but for the most part, the "good'ns" are gone!

Did anyone else notice in this months GON at the past 5-6 weeks of the bucks harvested for the Truck/Buck contest and we all know the size of the deer taken and of the several hundred that were listed, I think I saw Talbots name 3 times.

Concerned Talbot County Hunter,

WhtOakdeerless :D

SlipperyHill Mo
12-14-2004, 11:34 AM
WOWM,

You make some excellent points and I agree with most of them. Talbot is not a premier deer county in any aspect. Maybe most hunters per square mile! It still is a good county and probably could be better.

My main concern is not the quality of the bucks, which may be below several other countys, but qunatity of the deer population. Better hunters can kill more nice bucks. Our guys have seen several shooters on our properties but have not gotten shots for many diferent reason, a lot to do with their hunting capabilities. But some nice bucks are still out there. Also, the land has excess carrying capacity in most places I have seen.

Still looking for the answer to better the herd and still keep members.

leoparddog
12-14-2004, 12:31 PM
I read a study about a QDM area in Mississipi or maybe it was LA. That QDM area was configured about the same as Talbot. 4 points on a side, but it also had a 14" min spread - just like WhiteOak.

This study concluded that before the QDM was put in place the area generated a fair number of bucks with spreads greater than 14" and had potential to produce very good bucks in good numbers. After multiple years of the 4 points/14" rule, very few bucks were being shot that exceeded the minimum. This was on a very large piece of state owned land, maybe 30K acres contiguous.

The conclusion was that, this form of QDM weeded out the good genetics.
As soon as a deer got that big he got shot, and that left the bucks who would never - ever get that big to breed.

I think QDM has a lot to learn from the limits they but on Bass Fishing. How they went from only harvesting the big bass to Slot Limits, so that the fish with the genetics to grow very larger were left to breed.

That said, this may or may not be a factor at WhiteOak and our deer population in general. We still take a few nice bucks each year and our harvests have dropped in the last 5 years from 60+ deer/year to 43 last year to maybe 30 this year. So we're taking fewer deer, still planting our foodplots and putting out the salt licks. What's up?

I have seen increased signs of trespassing and thus probably night shooting on our foodplots, I know some folks who run corn feeders adjacent to our property -which has ruined one area for hunting. We've got plenty of Coyotes now and rumors of a cougar or two. But all in all, I don't know why our population seems to be down this year. Last year I saw more immature bucks than ever (as many as 7 in one day, but dozens over the season), but have only seen 2 bucks this year, and I shot the bigger of the two. A classic WO buck - 14 1/4" spread 7 pointer.

I don't know what is up. I do agree with Mark in that I have seen fewer fawns this year - only one and I hunted plenty in Oct and early Nov.

If we continue to take fewer deer and fewer bucks, and still plant and salt - why aren't we seeing more deer?

::huh:

sgsjr
12-14-2004, 02:29 PM
If we continue to take fewer deer and fewer bucks, and still plant and salt - why aren't we seeing more deer?

::huh:

To many hunters per square mile, shooting to many does.

Ramey Jackson
12-16-2004, 06:41 AM
To many hunters per square mile, shooting to many does.

That sums it up!

ICSCamoHunter
12-20-2004, 07:09 PM
Whew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finally got my puter back and now it is running good again. I feel like I have missed out on everything going on in the world of HUNTING

Anybody do any good? I have gotten a few does earlier in the year, but still looking for that big 'un. Got a few pics of some nice ones, just haven't seen them in the daylight

ICSCamoHunter
12-20-2004, 07:11 PM
Hey Heel, they have annihilated our turnips now on our palce. They must have been wiaitng for the frost to release the sugars

ICSCamoHunter
01-04-2005, 10:42 AM
Well, one last weekend for us in Talbot county. Over the past month, we have been hard pressed to see a deer while on stand, despite our foodplots. The plots are being hit hard, but apparently at night as all of our trail cam photos indicate. MAybe the last weekend will be the one. You coming Heel? Should be a good crowd this week. I think we need all we can to get them up and moving. Did find a fresh scrape where you killed the does this past weekend.

Danny_GA
01-04-2005, 11:38 AM
This year's numbers have turned out to be our best at Lost Gate since the start of QDM county reg's. Through Dec. 31 we had harvested a total of 20 including 4 mature bucks. Our four year average has been 15 and 3. Our largest buck, a 9 pointer was taken the week after Christmas and had a 20 inch spread and 29 plus inch beams. We had one 8 pointer taken with a live weight of 190. The results as always, are mixed within the club, as some see deer and some don't.

We will have a big supper Saturday night and expect a good turn out to end and celebrate our season.

Good luck to all and hunt safe!

BROWNING7WSM
01-04-2005, 12:27 PM
Congrats to yall Danny, on a good year..I wish we could say the same..I honestly believe the huge acorn crop hurt us this year.That and less deer numbers..We did have several good Bucks killed but overall deer sightings were down.. I expect 05 to be better, especially since we put a limit on Does for the upcoming season..Congrats to yall again..

Hunting Tarheel
01-04-2005, 12:38 PM
ICS,

I am going to try and drive down Saturday morning and probably just hunt in the morning. Was sick the whole holiday season and only hunted on Dec 24th--of course saw nothing. If I get there early enough I will come hunt with you guys. Speaking of that--I lost Gordon's # and would like to get it from you.

SilverbulletJR
01-10-2005, 09:34 AM
....seeing several deer. I hunted Thursday afternoon through Sunday noon. On the way to the stand Thursday around 4 o'clock spooked up one, couldn't tell it's sex....that night had 4 deer pass by just after dark, it was too dark to tell their sexes but the last one that crossed had a big 'ol body....Friday evening two does passed by just before dark...let 'em walk....and finally Satuday evening just before dark had a decent 2 1/2 year old walk by....let him walk he was probably 7-8pts. Recurring theme from my stand is sightings just after dark repeatedly after the rut. They sure did seem to get totally noctournal. Had lots of fun this year. Enjoyed the time in the woods and at camp. Took 4 deer in all: 2 8-pointers and two does. Saw between 35 and 40 deer altogether in the stand and on the way to the stand. Saw hundreds of Turkeys, MAN!! Won't and can't complain. :shoot: :clap: ::; :D :bounce:

leoparddog
01-10-2005, 09:46 AM
Well this last weekend some of the guys at WhiteOak decided that since we ain't seen them we'd give them the bum rush, so we put on several drives. We put the drivers on top of the ridge and the standers at the bottom and every drive stirred up at least one deer and on the last drive Saturday afternoon, I jumped a big buck in some really thick stuff going down the hill. It was so thick that I had given up hunting in there and was just doing my best to get thru the stuff when I saw him turn his head and look at me - a big 8 pointer at least with a wide spread.

I tried to get the gun off my shoulder as he bounded thru the thicket and was almost got the cross hairs on him as he crossed a little side ridge where I got a good look at him. One of the standers saw him too, but couldn't get a shot.

So on two drives Saturday, we saw 7 deer and more were seen Sunday morning during drives. None were shot though, but we know they are in there!

I know where I'll be hanging a stand for next year!

SlipperyHill Mo
01-10-2005, 03:46 PM
Only was deer was seen on a mini drive. Flush an 8+ point in the 3 year old cutoiver and guy could not get a shot from the tower stand. Still very few tracks.

They must be walking off the ground like SGSJR said!

Enjoyed the season but with mediocre success.

BROWNING7WSM
01-10-2005, 03:52 PM
Final weekend was uneventfull for us also..Its been a tough year. On a good note, we have alot of tracks.. So there deffinatly there, just moving at night and in the thickets..

sgsjr
01-11-2005, 08:12 AM
There is a rumor that the deer are using "hoverboards" like in Back to the Future to get around. Mainly being used on Po-Biddy road area.

When the does are shot down to a point where hunter success falls, the masses will then cry out.

Time for a regime change at the DNR

Danny_GA
01-11-2005, 08:34 PM
The final weekend yielded two more does (one was 6.5 years old), one button (live weight 111), and a 5.5 year old 209 pound buck. Our final numbers were 23 total including five mature bucks. The total harvest is up 56% over the three year average. Our body weights are up due to a record acorn crop, a wet June, and with a lower population, fewer mouths to feed. We have an incresing food plot program which did not hurt, but I believe the other factors had a greater influence.

The population is down and that is intentional due to the heavy doe harvest. As a result,the herd is healthier and the sex ratio and buck age structure is much better balanced. Thirteen years ago we harvested more deer, but the bucks were predominantly spikes, three and four pointers. I never had the chance to see a mature buck. This year I passed up a 2.5 year old 7 pointer and a 3.5 year old 8 pointer. That would have not been possible in the past. I saw over 50 deer while hunting including 8 different bucks. Having said this though, I changed tactics this year to improve my odds. Does that are hunted heavily will stay in the thickest briar patch on your place until dark. In addition they will pattern a hunter very quickly. If a person hunts the same way he or she did prior to current regulations it will be difficult to see deer, much less harvest them.

I belive WRD is doing a great job and agree with their current regulations and support all of their current proposed recommendation changes with the exception of a 15 doe limit. While I do not think an increased doe limit will substantially increase the doe harvest I believe a 10 doe limit is sufficient to control the population.

BROWNING7WSM
01-11-2005, 08:41 PM
Atleast someone had a good year...Congrats to yall Danny..

Can you go into more detail about your change of tactics?I to tried some change, but with the same old results..

Hunting Tarheel
01-12-2005, 11:30 AM
Danny,

Thanks for the interesting post. It is obvious that the population is down but changing your tactics is something we could all learn from. I can honestly say that I learned more about hunting this year and will use it to my advantage next year. I did not see many deer but I changed my tactics a little as well later on and did much better--it takes more than food plots and the hunting of more does has made it much more of a challenge.

I kind of agree with sgsjr a little too in that I really do not see why we need 10 does in Talbot County. Maybe in the metro Atlanta area but not in Talbot in most places. I shot 2 small does and with the amount of meat on them I really do regret it. They were slump busters but next year if I take a deer it will be for better reasons.

Have a great offseason everybody and I look forward to doing it again next year.

Bucky T
01-12-2005, 05:48 PM
Danny,

How are you? This is Tommy Lackey. Sounds like you guys has a great year!!!

I put 5 does in the freezer and that was it. My lease in Washington C. has great promise and in a few years ought to be golden. I saw about 50 deer this season. Most were does, yearlings, and 1 1/2 bucks. Saw only one 2 1/2 yr buck. He was a 5pt with about a 14" spread. My dad messed up on two very nice shooters, so we at least know a few are there. The property has never been managed and we started a QDM program on it this year. Really looking forward to making it happen.

Hope everything is fine in Woodland and you guys keep it up down there. Good to hear about your success.

Tommy

humantermite
02-01-2005, 09:16 PM
I Was Down South Last Weekend And The Ice Brought Down Alot Of Limbs And Tree Tops. In Our Roads, The Tops Of The Small Pines Were Almost Touching The Ground. If You Go To Your Hunting Club Be Prepared To Do Some Work!

BROWNING7WSM
02-01-2005, 09:45 PM
I might head down this Sunday....Thx for the heads-up termite..

BROWNING7WSM
02-07-2005, 08:53 AM
Went down Sunday..Saw a ton of tracks and jumped one up in a pine thicket..We put 8 mineral licks out, and I got the trail cam set up..

Matt.M
02-16-2005, 02:36 PM
Hey guys- I thought I would take a second and introduce myself. My name is Matt and I hunt at Big Track hunting club that borders Geneva. We are on 3000 acres & have alot of fun down there. Here's a link to our wesibite-->Big Track (http://bigtrackhuntclub.com/)

Going down this weekend to do some scouting before everything greens by up and hopefully maybe find a shed.

Matt

JByrd15
02-16-2005, 02:45 PM
Welcome to Woody's!!!!!!!! Looks like yall have a great set up and some great deer taken off that property each year!!! :banana:

Matt.M
02-16-2005, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the welcome. We get lucky sometimes.......

That one on left of the homepage scored 148 and was at Chapman's for while. I need to follow that guy around b/c the next day he shot a 128 B&C with a eight inch spread. That was one weird looking buck.

Matt.M
02-20-2005, 06:25 PM
Highlights from scouting on Saturday:

1. Heard some toms gobbling at each other at 7:30 about 100 yards away.
2. Saw a a nice buck without his head gear.
3. A boss hen with her flock of young turkeys (13 in all).
It definitely was a :yeah:

4. 5 deer crossing the power line.
5. Lastly, 4 toms were in a food plot with one mature bird.:clap:

Bad news no sheds were found.

Matt

SlipperyHill Mo
03-16-2005, 11:42 PM
Found a couple of 4 and 5 side sheds in February and March.

Looking forward to turkey season.

Give us some reports.

Saw Gus Persons died last month, mayor of Talbotton.

Had a work weekend on the 26th of February.

A good time was had by all.

I still love being in the woods.

SlipperyHill Mo
03-24-2005, 04:29 PM
Heard several turkeys this AM.

Wished it was Saturday.

Matt.M
03-24-2005, 04:41 PM
I will be down Friday night.......Can't wait til I hear the first one gobble on saturday morning!!!!!!!!:shoot:

tcoker
04-01-2005, 12:12 AM
Talbot county gobbling report:

Kennesaw Bushwhackers Hunting Club Inc., I heard at least 7 different birds Saturday morning that i know of for sure. 3 guys hunting, me and one other connected on mature birds. both early, his at 7:00 am and mine at 7:10am, quit gobbling after 8:30am, got a courtesy gobble on a crow call at about 4:15pm near a food plot. Wind really picked up Saturday afternoon. Starting off pretty good. Didn't hunt Sunday, bad storm. Returning Friday night. :cheers:

tcoker
04-03-2005, 12:18 AM
Talbot county report:

Kennesaw Bushwhackers Hunting Club Inc.
This morning was windy as predicted, i mean WINDY, but right at daybreak it wasn't bad and heard 2 birds real close, got setup within 100 yards and tree yelped, he gobbled and eventually flew down in some cutover and not on the edge near me, so went cuttin' and runnin', bumped 2 birds in the road, took off thru the woods made a big wide semi-circle, got in front of em. Set up in a long food plot and sure enough, within 15 minutes i see a white head strutting to me,both birds within range,never gobbled but did strut, i busted the struttin' bird, with an 11 inch beard and 1 inch spurs, not a bad 2nd weekend, i'll sleep in on sunday!

BROWNING7WSM
04-03-2005, 05:21 PM
Congrats on the bird....

I had to go down and check on a few things at the club today, so I decided to load the shotgun and stuff in the truck and do a little T huntin myself this morning..First time I'd been in 6-7 years..Didnt get any gobbles but I sure walked my butt off.Saw a ton of deer tracks, and a good bit of T tracks in the roads and plots...Whew, I'm beat... :D

sgsjr
04-10-2005, 09:47 AM
Went Friday 4/8, Sat 4/9, and Sunday 4/10 mornings and have not heard a gobble. I Guess this crazy overly wet weather and low baremetric pressure along with hens have shut them up.

SlipperyHill Mo
04-11-2005, 10:08 AM
Only went Sunday AM, heard about 4-5 starting at 6:45 AM. Worked one for while but he moved off over a ridge and then shut up. I must not sound to good? Heard a couple toowrds PoBiddy from my property.

My buddies hunted Saturday AM and herd one gobble way off. Hope to try again this weekend.

Weather probably had them messed up or henned up.

sgsjr
04-12-2005, 08:15 AM
A friend of mine found a nest last friday, 4/8, with 14 eggs in it. It seems to me like the best is behind us.

Bucky T
04-12-2005, 04:54 PM
If you already got hens on the nest, the gobblers may have bred the majority of the hens. That's when it get's good. They're lonely and looking for company. The best should be happening here shortly.

Tommy

bossgobbler
04-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Hunted 4/9--On the Taylor-Talbot Line. Had two birds wearing it out-on the roost and on the ground. Squeezed the trigger at 7:20 AM--18 3/4 lbs.,10.25 inch beard, both spurs were 1 1/4 inch long and sharp. Only birds I heard but nearby a buddy heard two birds Sunday morning wearing it out but on someone elses land. I hunt/live at the sand pit in Junction City.

BROWNING7WSM
04-12-2005, 07:25 PM
Congrats on the bird.... :cheers:

I'm headed down to the lease this Sun. to plant 200 lbs. of ICP's.. I might try some T huntin that morning..

SlipperyHill Mo
04-13-2005, 08:32 AM
Nice bird! Hope to get down this weekend and try again.

I have a lease off Bukner Rd., not too far from Junction City.

bossgobbler
04-13-2005, 08:42 PM
SlipperyHill Mo,
E-mail me some time when you are coming down. Where on Buckner Rd. is your lease? I live in Howard, grew up here. Have a great week.

SlipperyHill Mo
04-18-2005, 08:33 AM
One of leases is a at Buckner and Fielders Loop, only 115 acres, but lots of deer in the area. Our camp is off Po Biddy Rd.

It will be a couple of weeks before I can get down again.

BROWNING7WSM
05-11-2005, 06:34 AM
Anyone know if Talbot got any rain yesterday around Woodland??? :huh: :huh: