Hawks and turkeys

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
While managing a farm on the Chattahoochee River for hunting and tree farming it gave me a good chance to observe wildlife closeup as I lived right in the middle of it all. Redtail hawks took more young turkeys than any other predator. And they catch them right up until they past grown chicken size. There is a powerpole in the middle of a 20 acre field and each year when hens had poults the ground around that pole would be covered with young turkey parts. After noticing this I took particular attention to one hen with ten poults. I watched them from when they were the size of your thumb until there wasn't but one left. And it was a jake, the last time I saw him he was about the size of his mom. Each morning I would ride down and check that pole. And there would be the redtail eating turkey on many mornings. The hawks best time to catch em must have been when they first came off the roost. I'm not there anymore, but far as I know, the redtail is.
Coopers hawk, commonly called a chicken hawk. Once saw one dive at a group of poults guarded by two hen turkeys. One hen turkey met the hawk in midair and flew out of sight on his tail. While the attacking hen was gone, the other hen puffed up to look as big as possible and stood over the poults. Couple minutes went by and the attacking hen came flying back to land. Then they walked off into the woods. Turkeys are better in the air than I once thought. Believe somewhere I read they can fly 55 mph.
Another incidence: Was sitting in a hunting stand watching a young coopers hawk catch lizards. That is until 9 jakes came feeding by. The hawk glided to the ground for another lizard and all nine jakes attacked. The jakes puffed up, put their heads straight out and ran at the hawk. The surprised hawk dropped his lizard and flew off.
Anybody else seen stuff like this?

jcarter

Banned
i saw an owl swoop down on a hen one time. quite a ruckus.

Gadget

Years back.....I walked up on a hen who was sitting on some very young chicks. She waited till I was about to step on her before flying up in my face, about scared me to death. The hen flew out of site. I saw the little chicks, left them there and moved about 200yds down the ridge and setup.

About a half hour later I hear chicks chirping and look to see them running straight for my decoys. Before they got there a hawk came swooping in and got one. The chicks ran under my decoys and huddled under them. The hawk kept coming back trying to get more. I took up the decoys and setup right next to the chicks, a few minutes later the hawk came swooping in; right before he got there I jumped up scared him off. I moved the chicks back to where they were and put them in a dead fall. Don't know if the hen ever came back.

Last edited:

alphachief

Two years ago I saw a Tom on Tom fight similar to that. I was on a ridge (the wrong ridge) watching a mature tom feed along another ridge. All of a sudden, a huge...and I mean huge gobbler comes swooping in and practically lands on top of the first tom. That second gobbler beat the fool out of the first one. At first I thought it was a hawk or an eagle.

Trizey

I've got a story, but it's for another thread. No one will believe this and I swear to GOD it's true.

ShallowRio

I've witnessed a hawk swoop a full grown hen from the roost. The both took quite a tumble.
The greatest safe guard against predators of above is thick pines.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That`s Mother Nature at work.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
As well they should be protected. Hawks, turkeys, and owls have been sharin` the same areas for a long time now. All are still here. Hawks and owls do a lot of good themselves. There`s a reason for them bein` here.

Ricochet

So, I take it blasting a hawk is not a good idea. I see a couple of hawks on my grandpa's land a lot while hunting...usually being chased by noisy crows. It surprises me that crows can more or less have their way with them. Maybe that is 1 good use for crows...chasing off hawks. I did find a dead crow not long ago in the woods...have no idea how it died, maybe the hawks finally decided to kick some butt.

hawglips

Banned
Hawks put a hurting on quail too.

Ricochet

So, is it against the law to kill hawks?