Get'n the most from your box call...The Yelp

ShallowRio

This is the first installment of a series of threads that I will be post showing how to get the most from your box call. Guy's tend to say "I like to run it this way." To get the most from any call, become proficient in all ways.

The plain Yelp.

I know most of this you already know, so bare with me cuz I'm try'n to put this together to be able to help anybody. I'm sure you'll pick up a couple things if not and you know another way, show me. I'm always look'n for a new way to run a call.

When running a box call hold the box as if holding the forearm of a rifle. Hold the paddle handle loosely as if an extension of your arm. You want to create a wrist-like point were your fingers connect with the handle.
This first photo shows a loose hold of the handle creating a hinge point.
Don't pinch off the paddle.

For a plain Yelp, while holding the box keep your fingers off the box sides. Create a swivel like connection with your hold of the paddle handle.

boxcalln007.jpg

Run the call at the closed end, for a yelp use minimal pressure playing the call from about a 5:00 o'clock position to nearly a 6:00 o'clock position on the right side of the box.
or a 7:00 o'clock to nearly a 6:00 o'clock position on the calls left side.
boxcalln009.jpg

boxcalln008.jpg

The call can also be held paddle away often creating a slightly different Yelp.
boxcalln012.jpg

boxcalln013.jpg

On some calls the pitch can be changed by resting a finger against the end of the handle dampening vibration.
boxcalln014.jpg

boxcalln015.jpg

The box up method, running a box call in this manner may seam somewhat awkward but will create yet another Wild Turkey voice. I have had customers that prefer this method. This will often create the highest pitch Yelp.
boxcalln016.jpg

boxcalln017.jpg

boxcalln018.jpg

boxcalln019.jpg

ShallowRio

I don't care to get into to many specifics about what one person may find to be more comfortable than another but it has been suggested.
You may find more comfort holding the handle between your thumb and index finger or maybe between your thumb and middle finger. As long as you feel comfortable and in control. Yet, you don't want to over control the rolling of the paddle over the sound board. This should be built into the box call.
It may be noted that many folks will instruct lifting the paddle between Yelps.
I personally like to keep lite contact between the sound board and the paddle as if the hen was pulling in a breath to let out another Yelp. I like to really chomp off a series of Yelps.

These are purely personal preferance.