Hunt Like A Man

BubbaD

Last night after supper, the whole family piled up in front of a warm fire and the TV. Not to long ago the wife bought a DVD set of some old "The Walton's" episodes. The kids seemed to like it and besides it is much better viewing than todays cartoons...or TV for that matter. This episode was called "The Hunt". And you guessed it, they were hunting turkeys. It was John Boys first hunt. Anyway, about the time John Boy & Pop and their 2 other buds were strolling through the woods talking loudly in their red flannels and blue jeans, I made a silly remark to stir up the troops. I asked..."Where is all of their Camo and why aren't they setting up and calling?" ::ke:
My nine year old looked at me and said..."They are hunting like Men!"

My wife of course did this:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'll wait and see how some of you would have responded to that before I say how I regrouped and "discussed" the matter:)

jcarter

Banned
ida said just watch how woods wise old grampa walton is kids. he is getting ready to poke johnboy on a stick and use him as a hen decoy.

Thanatos

There is a TV show called Grey's Anatomy on ABC about surgeons and such. An episode last year had one of the main characters and his dad and brothers turkey hunting. I thought it was the funniest thing i had ever seen!

Gadget

Don't know what I'd say to that one, is funny though.

hawglips

Banned
I'd have laughed and told him that they are hunting like girls, then duck if I was within arms reach of my wife.

BubbaD

Well I first asked him if he thought we didn't hunt like men? He said no....we just go out and sit.
I told him that things were quite a bit different now than they were in the 30's.
1. Turkeys are a bit smarter now
2. There are quite a few more hunters in the woods
3. There is no way you would ever walk up on a turkey like that today.
4. We unfortunately don't have a "Walton's Mountain" to walk endlessly on. We eventually run out of permitted land and you have to stop and sit.

To be honest I don't think he bought any of it:rolleyes:

alphachief

Shot a lot of turkeys as a kid before I started wearing camo...of course I was in a tree stand in Florida and I shot em with a .243 ::ke:

Adirondacker

Come on guys grampa Walton was a real he man hunter! Didn't you see him in the movie Jeremiah Johnson huntin' GRIZZZZZZZZ?

Adirondacker

My favorite all time flick. My son got me the DVD last month. Not a real Redford fan but that movie does great honor to the wilderness lifestyle.

Snakeman

Tell them it was a "canned" hunt and the turkey was just released from a cage, just off camera. He also had his wings clipped and couldn't fly.

You wouldn't be telling him a lie, either.

The Snakeman

GA1dad

Lotsa truth in his view. They sure killed a lot of game prior to Walmart.

Tiger Rag

There have been plenty of birds killed in red flannel I am sure.

Let's see, red flannel, cold weather, fall hunting, busting flocks and waiting for them to regroup.

I can see killing birds like that.

I am sure grandpa Walton was not only after the largest., oldest, toughest, longbeard in the group. I bet a young of the year hen would have been just fine on his table.

Thunderbeard

I remember that episode. Thats funny to, because we were just talking about it earlier today.

Tombuster

Jeremiah Johnson

yea they were using muzzle loaders and long rifles since DNR wasn't around back then.

You Jeremiah Johnson guys need to go to Cody Wy. He is buried there. Neat story with pictures of Redford there when he was reburied in Cody.

Pictures0126 (640 x 480).jpg