Benelli Nova pattern results...

TurkeyKiller12

I got a chance to pattern my Benelli Nova and got fairly decent results. I shot one time @ 40 yds with federal flite control 3 1/2" 2 oz #5's. I ended with around 95 hits inside a 10"circle. I had placed a 8 1/2" x 11" turkey target centered with the center of the circle and got 97 hits on it. I read and hear all the time about how you need at least 100 shots in a 10" circle at 40 yds. These folks have got to be shooting some kind of a duplex load or #6 or #7 shot. I think using #5's @ 40 yds and getting nearly 100 shot in the 10" circle @ 40 yds oughta work pretty good. What yall think???

MKW

In my opinion, a 3.5" 12ga should do MUCH better than that, but if you are satisfied, that's all that matters.
Mike

TurkeyKiller12

Really...

Yeah. Thats what I figured everything I buy tends to be crappy and can't have much in the way of luck when patterning. What would you be shooting for with #5's at 40 yds???

BURRUSS

I got a chance to pattern my Benelli Nova and got fairly decent results. I shot one time @ 40 yds with federal flite control 3 1/2" 2 oz #5's. I ended with around 95 hits inside a 10"circle. I had placed a 8 1/2" x 11" turkey target centered with the center of the circle and got 97 hits on it. I read and hear all the time about how you need at least 100 shots in a 10" circle at 40 yds. These folks have got to be shooting some kind of a duplex load or #6 or #7 shot. I think using #5's @ 40 yds and getting nearly 100 shot in the 10" circle @ 40 yds oughta work pretty good. What yall think???

I AGREE 110%

MKW

which choke

Yeah. Thats what I figured everything I buy tends to be crappy and can't have much in the way of luck when patterning. What would you be shooting for with #5's at 40 yds???

What choke do you have??
Mike

MKW

ok

A .655 is pretty tight for #5s, but with that choke, I'd get the Win HVs. They shold do quite a bit better than the Federals...at least they always have for me.
Mike

TurkeyKiller12

No work...

There has been no custom work at all done on this gun, with the exception of the aftermarket choke this gun a plain jane benelli nova 12 ga. I am shooting factory loads as well. Was my results not good enough with basically no custom work?

MKW

don't know

I don't know, but I'd certainly spend the $10-12 on some Winchester shells to see if they would do better. Since you have the Federal shells, next time you are out, shoot one of them thru your factory full choke. I've heard some really good results from doing this. It seems that most say the the flight control wad does not like ported or tight chokes.
Mike

BURRUSS

patterns

I've tried seven different chokes with 3"&3.5" win. feds. and rem. lead and heavy shot in three different guns and couldn't get much better than 90 pellets in a 10in. circle @40 yds. with just one or two combonations.

blindhog

Out of my 870 and my Baikal shooting 3" and 3.5" I get a consistant 100-110 with both guns at 40 yds in 10".

I am happy with that. The gobbler I kilt at 12 yards however is not happy with that.

TurkeyKiller12

Number 1 thing...

The biggest deal with these turkey guns is not will they pile 100 pellets into a given circle at 40 yds. The quest is to put a deadly shot on a bird in an effort for a clean kill. I would say this gun can and will do it, as I have killed two birds pass 40 yds. Most of the turkeys I have killed have been within 20 yds. I am very satisfied as to how the pattern looks very dense for 40 yds. It will kill a turkey, it can kill a turkey and it has killed a turkey.... Nuff Said!!!

MKW

The last sentence in your original post says, "What y'all think?" All I did was give my honest opinion, which is what you asked for. Yes, that pattern will kill birds. Have fun.
Mike

Gadget

How many pellets are you getting in the brain and spinal cord ?

Based on the targets I've seen and shot in the past once you get down to around 75 pellets in a 10inch circle the number of pellets in the kill zone(brain and spinal cord) is around 5 which is considered the minimum for a reliable kill.

Somebody recently asked me how many pellets they should be getting and I said 100 and up.

Handgunner

The last sentence in your original post says, "What y'all think?" All I did was give my honest opinion, which is what you asked for. Yes, that pattern will kill birds. Have fun.
Mike
That's kinda what I was thinking. I was under the impression that he wanted an opinion. :huh: :huh:

blindhog said:
Go ye and kill sum turks!
:rofl:

TurkeyKiller12

Sorry...

I am really sorry if I gave off a bad vibe like I was trying to be smart or something. I appreciate each opinion that was given on this topic. I was just stating that it had and hopefully will kill turkeys again. I shoulda left the nuff said off I guess. Thanks guys for the helpful insight. Sorry if I came across like a smart mouth. Thanks again and good luck this season.

MKW

ok

Nah, we're good! I get a little carried away with the pattern thing. I hope you have a great season!
Mike