Over Easy Eggs?

DaddyPaul

How do you do it without breaking the yolk? I always end up not having anything to dip my toast in or "yeller" up my grits with when I try? I usually put it in the pan and try to wait until the white looks almost dry and then flip it over. Not working for me. If some of these knuckleheads at the Waffle House can do it, surely I can! ::;

GeauxLSU

Cook 'em in olive oil. Trust me. No 'browning' either.
Mmmmm........
The guys at Waffle House are pros. Don't try and compare ... ;)
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

dbodkin

basted in bacon drippings.. I can just feel my arteries closing up :whip: ::huh:

DaddyPaul

Phil I guess you are right, I have never seen them using the non-stick spray that I use. How long do you let it cook on the first side before you flip it? And do you flip it or kinda roll it over?

sparky

eggs

try putting a lid over the egg or on the pan,that will keep the heat in to cook the top without flippin

Steven Farr

Paul,

The guys at the waffle woofer and the hustle house are pros. They use very thin spatulas and don't have the lip of the pan to contend with. Next time, try using two spatulas. One to flip and the other to corner that sucker and keep it from running all over the pan.

As far as when to flip, when the clear stuff starts to gel up, flip it for 30-45 seconds and get it out. Guaranteed Runny!!!

GeauxLSU

DaddyPaul said:
Phil I guess you are right, I have never seen them using the non-stick spray that I use. How long do you let it cook on the first side before you flip it? And do you flip it or kinda roll it over?
I flip 'em easy. Doesn't take much olive oil at all if you're using a teflon pan (which we always do). You'll be able to tell when they get solid white. Can't say it's 100% successful but it's close. Temperature is the biggest variable. Too fast and the top stays too runny to flip, too slow and the yellow cooks firm. :rolleyes: That is absolutely the best way to cook eggs IMHO. Taste great with no brown/crisp parts. Just firm and cooked well. Of course you know, "the Surgeon General warns that egg yolks should be FULLY cooked in order to avoid salmonella, botulism, malaria, premature balding, flinching, and buck fever".
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Gotta use a little oil to get them to flip right. I have a couple everyday.

Jim

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
During my college days, I spent a lot of time studying many Waffle Houses cooks technique. ;) Most often in a very, very, dazed, but focused way. :D

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
Eggs

My wife likes over easy eggs or as I say raw eggs. The best way to cook them is to cook them until they are done and not gross. :banginghe

Ga-Spur

That's one of my favorite meals , just today went by the Waffle House and had 5 over light and stir them into my GRITS. I would get 6 but they hollar out 1/2 dozen over light and I point at my wife and she doesn't like that .

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Ga-Spur said:
That's one of my favorite meals , just today went by the Waffle House and had 5 over light and stir them into my GRITS. I would get 6 but they hollar out 1/2 dozen over light and I point at my wife and she doesn't like that .
rofl

Jeff Phillips

Warning: This ain't low cal :bounce:

1st cook a pound of bacon.

Crack your eggs into the hot grease.

With your spatula, splash the grease over the top of the egg until the top is a little bit white.

Then flip at the edge of the pan so you don't drop it.

UUMMM GOOD :p

Handgunner

I've seen Jeff's way done many times.

But I personally like my eggs DONE. I can handle a little runny on the yolk, but not just all over the plate, runny.

If the white ain't done though, boy's it's GO TIME!

I can't handle it...

L

Lucky Chandler

Memorize Jeff's post

That's the way you get those perfect "over easy" eggs to mix in with your grits. There ain't nothin' better for breakfast!

QuakerBoy

paul...the temp of the pan is real important too. too hot the eggs get crispy on the edges. and the whites won't cook through withouth the yellow hadening also.

I try and flip mine just before the whites gell.

But why would you ruin a good egg with GRITS ::huh: :confused:

broadhead

Just when I thought EVERY topic had been covered on Woodys. :D
I like Jeff Phillips method. That's how my dad taught me to cook them. It is the only thing I ever saw him cook. Mama did it all!

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Bacon grease is the key. ;) I love to make a good egg sandwhich. Fry me up 4 pieces of bacon. Drain the excess grease, but leave an ample amount for an egg. Fry that baby up, flip it and immedietly put a piece of cheese over the top of it. When the cheese melts and folds just over the egg, the egg is cooked to perfection. Take off stove and lay onto a couple of pieces of toast, put my four pieces of bacon on, a little mayonaise , and enjoy with a healthy serving of grits with butter and salt and pepper.

I then sop up the runny egg yolk and grits with what's left of my sandwhich. Oh, can't forget my tall glass of ice cold milk!!

Now that ain't nothing but good!!

Tommy

H

HT2

D P.......

Over Easy eggs are just plain nasty!!!!!!!!!

YUCK!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

It's not all that hard to keep from bustin' 'em though.....

Just get you one of them small fryin' pans like they use at Waffle House......They flip 'em good and it's easy to flip 'em without bustin' the yeller....

I can cook 'em.....But, I ain't eatin' 'em........

matthewsman

I spent three years at Waffle House

Best money I ever made employed by someone else.I managed the blue and gold Ga Tech commemerative store on Northside Dr.(Yes I have all my teeth)
I was there from 1992-1996,and have cooked more eggs in one morning than one person would probably eat in a lifetime........The pan is the key,it is seasoned with hot oil and salt to polish it smooth to allow the flipping.Touch is the key,to hard yellow all over the place(oh I thought you called overwell,lol)too little and it folds up on the side of the pan.When I'm showing off,I can do it with 1 1/2 flips.Cook that egg 1 1/2 minutes on the bottom,flip it 15 seconds on the top,flip it for a second or two on the bottom and slide it onto a platter...How were those hashbrowns again?donnie