Shot some patterns today (pics)

GA1dad

I picked up a 870 Express Magnum this week with a Remington Super Full Turkey choke in it. I had 4 different types of shells that I had laying around.

The first is the Fed. Prem.2&3/4" #5's. I think they did OK.

2nd is the Fed. Prem. 2&3/4" #6's. Again, not bad.

3rd target is Rem. Express 3" #4's. Not too pleased with them. I put a scratch mark over all the #4 holes and shot the #5's in the same target. This time I was not too pleased with the #5's.

4th and 5th pis were total dissapointments. Though the 7.5's put plenty of holes in the head,,,,,,,,very few penetrated the sheetrock that I was using. I could see several shot stuck in the surface that didn't penetrate at all. I used the same board for two shots with the 7.5's and only had a few pellets go through the sheetrock. I would find it very hard to have confidence in thier killing ability.

So basically I figure it's a crapshoot between the #5's and #6's. What do y'all think?

Attachments

• #5.jpg
    #5.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 185
  • #6.jpg
    #6.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 185
  • #4.jpg
    #4.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 188
  • 712.jpg
    712.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 184
  • 712 back.jpg
    712 back.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 186

crowe1187

try gettin a undtertaker choke. they are no more than $20 and work great in 3" 870. Also try the federal flight control and winchester supreme. they have the best patterns ive seen

Gadget

What yardage did you shoot these targets ??

I wouldn't shoot 7's unless using heavyshot, not enough energy. I prefer 5's with lead and 6's with heavyshot, best combination of down range energy while maintaining pattern density; course some guns like certain loads better than others, depending on the gun/choke combination.

GA1dad

What yardage did you shoot these targets ??

I wouldn't shoot 7's unless using heavyshot, not enough energy. I prefer 5's with lead and 6's with heavyshot, best combination of down range energy while maintaining pattern density; course some guns like certain loads better than others, depending on the gun/choke combination.

These were at 35 long paces. Also worth noting: I had the top 3 targets on a 2' X 4' piece of sheetrock. So the patterns were overlaid inbetween the targets. That's why it looks like the best pattern missed the target.

jcarter

Banned
These were at 35 long paces. Also worth noting: I had the top 3 targets on a 2' X 4' piece of sheetrock. So the patterns were overlaid inbetween the targets. That's why it looks like the best pattern missed the target.

if i were you id put a large "30x30" fresh piece of cardboard or paper under each target if your using the same backstop for every shot. that way you can definitly tell where each pellet is hitting for a particular load. as was said earlier id give up number of pellets for more energy and a more consistent pattern. your target says it though, those are all dead birds.

GA1dad

if i were you id put a large "30x30" fresh piece of cardboard or paper under each target if your using the same backstop for every shot. that way you can definitly tell where each pellet is hitting for a particular load. as was said earlier id give up number of pellets for more energy and a more consistent pattern. your target says it though, those are all dead birds.

Yep, after reading more, that's what I'm gonna do. I have a feeling that I may need to add adjustable sights. The beads that are on it won't be much help if I need to adjust.