Clybel WMA

Jody Hawk

I get frustrated at how they run the turkey hunts down there. They have these adult/child hunts on March 24-31, April 7-14, April 21-28. Then only two general hunts. The first one May 1-7 and the second one May 8-15. Now first of all I am 100% in favor of adult/child hunts but what I can't understand is why can't they have some general hunts earlier in the season. Kids are in school during those child hunts dates anyhow. What about April 1-6, April 15-20? I guess these weeks will go unhunted because neither child or general hunt is scheduled for those dates? I got picked on the first general hunt one year. It was so late in the season and the birds had been pressured so bad that I only heard two or three birds gobble the whole week that I hunted. That place is covered in turkeys, I thought I'd get out of the truck and hear birds hammering from every direction. I just wish that they would have a couple of general hunts earlier in the year. I ain't asking to take away anything from the children. :huh:

Jasper

Jody,

I understand your frustration. I personally am torn on this one as I have kids and we've taken advantage of the A/C hunts there and it's been great. I remember years ago when the general hunts were earlier- I was drawn a couple of times and it was as good a hunt as I've ever been on. After they made the general hunts the last 2 weeks I was drawn for the first May hunt and it was bad as you experienced.

They have a week between each A/C hunt to keep the pressure down I'm sure. It's an opportunity for the state to give kids a shot at a super quality hunt and hopefully get them hooked for life. For that reason alone I think it's a good idea. Rum Creek has the same schedule.

Not all kids are in school during these hunts. My boys have spring break in April which allows us to take advantage of the hunts during the week. We haven't killed a gobbler yet on these hunts, but it's sure been fun and as in the case of Clybel, fish the same day.

Huntinfool

Jody,

If I get drawn for a hunt this year, I'll let you know where the birds are....after I kill a few that is.:D :D

I hear ya man. I didn't realize they were so late. Even if they weren't pressured, I don't know how much gobbling you would hear. It would definitely be less than if the hunts were earlier in the year.

wooly

I have experienced the same frustration with the management of the turkey hunts on Cylbel / Charlie Elliott, and like you I am 100% for getting youngsters into hunting and fishing. But personally I think they could do a much better job of scheduling these hunts to give both the youngsters and adults equal time with better weeks for the adult hunters also, even if it means shortening them both to do so. I ran in to one of the rangers there about a year ago that was almost opologetic for the way the adults week was scheduled as he too knew that at that time it was all but over with. I did not hear a single gobble and neither did any of the of the other hunters I ran into and I did not not see a single bird checked in on the kill report. That is pretty sorry. For the most part I think Charlie Elliott has been highjacked from the hunters and has become mostly a park. It was obvious to me too that the last time I was there the people who where riding horses were not staying on the designated trials as they are suppose to, and were riding over in the hunting area. I have had this happen to me twice now. Until things things change out there I will not waste my turkey hunting time there.:banginghe

Arrow3

Jody,

Im game!!! Sign us up!!

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
Jody and whoever else may be interested, I have access to 250 acres bordered by Clybel on 2 sides off Murder creek Rd. that has a very good population. Very little hunting pressure put on these birds too on this property.
Invite is open for anyone interested in going in March.

Jody Hawk

Jody and whoever else may be interested, I have access to 250 acres bordered by Clybel on 2 sides off Murder creek Rd. that has a very good population. Very little hunting pressure put on these birds too on this property.
Invite is open for anyone interested in going in March.

Count me in !!!!!!!!! I'd like to come go with you sometime.

Hawken2222

Jody, I had the same thing happen to me in 2004. After a few rejection notices, I finally was picked for the first general hunt in May 04. I also had little to no Gobbling, and found the hunting a little slow. I still had a good time, but I was expecting it to be a little more productive, knowing the number of birds that are down there.

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
Jody,

I understand your frustration. I personally am torn on this one as I have kids and we've taken advantage of the A/C hunts there and it's been great. I remember years ago when the general hunts were earlier- I was drawn a couple of times and it was as good a hunt as I've ever been on. After they made the general hunts the last 2 weeks I was drawn for the first May hunt and it was bad as you experienced.

They have a week between each A/C hunt to keep the pressure down I'm sure. It's an opportunity for the state to give kids a shot at a super quality hunt and hopefully get them hooked for life. For that reason alone I think it's a good idea. Rum Creek has the same schedule.

Not all kids are in school during these hunts. My boys have spring break in April which allows us to take advantage of the hunts during the week. We haven't killed a gobbler yet on these hunts, but it's sure been fun and as in the case of Clybel, fish the same day.

How about you John, you up for a hunt on our land?

Jasper