Tom in Rut Scent

Gadget

jcarter just posted something that reminded me of the Turkey scent that used to be on the market.

I had just started turkey hunting, this stuff was on the shelves in several retailers around Atlanta. You supposedly put a few drops on your decoys and the Toms would come running ..............:rofl:

I'll admit I was gullible enough to buy a bottle, I quickly realized that it was all **. What's even more surprising is that these retailers stocked it on their shelves for like 2 or 3 years !!!

Last edited:

Trizey

Well I've heard they'll make scrapes, rubs and work the licking branches ; )

jcarter

Banned
ya they will, but youll never see it cause its mostly done at night.

Gadget

Well I've heard they'll make scrapes, rubs and work the licking branches ; )

I've got turkey scrapes the size of a truck hood in my Chufa patch so I guess it's true..........lol.

jca926

Yeah I got me a nice set of rattlin spurs for this season. I used the synthetic ones last year, but it just isn't the same.

GobbleAndGrunt78

I have some hen-in-estrus scent for sale if anyone is interested.... :bounce: I also have chokes that put every single pellet on a pie plate at 100yds. :rofl:

Philbow

Tred Barta said turkeys have a sense of smell equal to any of the other big game species, so it must be true. I'm waiting for Tink's "hen wants to set" lure.

Greg Tench

Gadget, I remember that too. Around the late 70s or so. I hadnt become a turkaholic at that time so I didnt bite.:p

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Several of us boys back then had a good laugh about that turkey scent! :rofl: :rofl:

gmcpipkin

Tred Barta said turkeys have a sense of smell equal to any of the other big game species, so it must be true. I'm waiting for Tink's "hen wants to set" lure.

If I'm not mistaken, I remember seeing Tinks turkey lure in the mid eighties. I remember seeing it at Dorn's Sporting Goods in Macon and telling Dad he needed to get some to help kill a turkey. He just laughed but I was serious. Oh well, what does 10 year old know.

Killdee

Im the sole distributer of this fine product,having bought up every bottle when it was discontinued.I would as soon leave my box calls at home before Id leave home without drenching myself with Dr.Tom's Turkey scent.See I keep it here just so's I wont fergit.

Attachments

• hen in heat (Medium).JPG
    hen in heat (Medium).JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 206

Handgunner

When do y'all find them coming to it the best? Early to mid April, or is it a trickle type thing? :D

Gadget

Im the sole distributer of this fine product,having bought up every bottle when it was discontinued.I would as soon leave my box calls at home before Id leave home without drenching myself with Dr.Tom's Turkey scent.See I keep it here just so's I wont fergit.

:bounce:

Can't remember what brand I had ? I kept it for years using it as a joke but lost track of it now.

jcarter

Banned
i keep all my clothes in a plastic bag with dried chicken manure. i guess it works ive never had one scent me yet.

gobblinglawyer

I found some of the stuff on a shelf in a "Mom and Pop" type sporting goods store in TN. I bought two bottles for my turkey call collection for about $1 each.

It was a hoax for sure but definitely a part of turkey hunting history.

Killdee

When do y'all find them coming to it the best? Early to mid April, or is it a trickle type thing? :D

Ive had a trickle type thing since I turned 50!!!!!!!!

FYI, I opened the bottle last night and it has no odor at all,..........hey since turkey cant smell maybe theres something to this, Tinks wouldnt lead us astray would he?

Huntinfool

:huh: So you're saying I should stop buying this stuff?

I lather myself up everytime I head to the woods....at least it keeps the skeeters away.:bounce:

Handgunner

Ive had a trickle type thing since I turned 50!!!!!!!!

FYI, I opened the bottle last night and it has no odor at all,..........hey since turkey cant smell maybe theres something to this, Tinks wouldnt lead us astray would he?
:rofl: :rofl:

Ricochet

LOL, never knew there was such a thing.