Nitro Pattern Results

Gadget

Finally got to shoot the Nitro, definitely the best pattern I've ever shot.

Took a few shots to figure out which choke it liked and to zero it in. Shot loads of Win dove load, then some 3.5 Win HV #5 2 oz, Win Xtended Range 3.5 #6 2 oz, and finally the Nitro 4x5x7 3.5 2.25 oz loads.

Chokes
Truglo strut stopper extreme .643
Comp n Choke XXX .658
PureGold .670

The Nitro liked the more open PureGold like I though it would.

No bruises, thanks to the leadsled and 25 lb bag of #7 shot......:cool:

Attachments

• DSC01676.JPG
    DSC01676.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:

GA1dad

No pattern pics???

Gadget

Here's one of the small HS Strut targets, they're only 11X11. Don't like em, it's all I had, usually use the big 20X20 quaker boys....... much nicer!!

Here one of the targets, only shows part of the pattern. I used heavy industrial paper as backing so I could see the whole pattern, holds up a lot better than wrapping paper.

41 hits in the brain and spinal area at a "ranged" 40 yds from the end of the choke.

Attachments

• DSC01679.JPG
    DSC01679.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:

Gadget

As advertised

Nitro claims 230-270 pellets in a 10 inch circle at 40 yds.

Here's one with 257

PureGold .670
Nitro 12ga 3.5 inch 2.25 oz 4x5x7
Benelli Super Black Eagle II, 24 inch stock barrel, custom trigger by Gun Docc, Docter Optic reflex red dot sight

Attachments

• DSC01682.JPG
    DSC01682.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:

gblrklr

nice pattern! If I was closer I would let you borrow my Rhino .660 to see what it would do.

Gadget

nice pattern! If I was closer I would let you borrow my Rhino .660 to see what it would do.

The PureGold is similar in shape and size to a Rhino, almost 2 inches extended from the barrel.

Attachments

• DSC01687.JPG
    DSC01687.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 353

jcarter

Banned
very nice indeed.

Gun Docc

Hey Rick,

you "might" be up to killing one of these mountain birds now..:D

nice patterns

Nitro

Banned
Rick,

I am glad the "Hype" was true........... Wait til you see what they will do on a Gobbler's noggin.

Nitro Ammo is all I have shot for 16 seasons. If there was ANYTHING better, I would be shooting that.

Good Luck this season Rick, you are well prepared to kill em now.

Gadget

Rick,

I am glad the "Hype" was true........... Wait til you see what they will do on a Gobbler's noggin.

With a little luck I'll find out soon, I leave in two weeks for Big Cypress...........:yeah:

Here is the same target with the light coming through to see the holes better.

The area your can see is 25 inches top to bottom and 30 inches across, If I draw a 30 inch circle I would think I'm getting around a 95% pattern.

Attachments

• DSC01689.JPG
    DSC01689.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:

Gadget

Here's same target with 30 inch circle.

There were 206 pellets outside the 10inch for a total of 463 pellets in the 30 inch circle.

I couldn't find any pellet counts on Nitro's website so I can't give an accurate density percentage but I would think it's up around 95%

Attachments

• DSC01691.JPG
    DSC01691.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 387

neckringer

did you shoot it any closer?
like say 10-15 yds?

Handgunner

That's what I'm talkin' about!

Gadget

I checked with Rhino, the .660 choke is recommended for regular heavy shot and lead loads.......... but for Nitro heavy loads they actually recommend going up to a .673 2 inch choke. Turns out the Pure Gold is very close to the optimal choke for the Nitro loads.

PureGold is heavy shot compatible and uses the same 17/4 stainless steel as Rhino does in they're chokes. Only problem with PureGold is they make one size fits all .670 only. Happens to work good with the Nitros, but other loads were not too good, too open.