So, you wanna be a turkey hunter...

ryanwhit

:rofl:

nrh0011

I have learned so much from guys on this forum. Love the stories and camaraderie. Preciate all those that care to share their experiences and tactics that have proven to work for them. Finally got my first bird and needless to say I'm hooked! Y'all have a good one!

PoundTown

Banned
This is a flawless thread thanks for doing this but I think we need one for WMA etiquette? Thoughts?

#BarrowCountyBirdBlaster #DudeLimitsOutAnnually #GobblerGetter #PuttemInACoffin #SchoolofHardClucks

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
This is a flawless thread thanks for doing this but I think we need one for WMA etiquette? Thoughts?

#BarrowCountyBirdBlaster #DudeLimitsOutAnnually #GobblerGetter #PuttemInACoffin #SchoolofHardClucks

About time you got back on here, missed ya. Good idea why don't you start the thread!:cool:

ryanwhit

you're too much dude. #schoolofhardclucks lol

bigmart70

thank you

Thank you for the best advice I've found yet . This is my first season ! I just wanted to say be careful out there ! Last weekend I went to one of our wma's set up and everything seemed perfect until another hunter showed up and shot my Tom decoy it was upsetting but we'll keep trying!!! Thanks again for the great thread!!!!

vin-man

Thank you Ryan for your contribution on this subject. I am a newbe turkey hunter looking to put my first one on the ground. I have been getting "schooled over the phone" from a life long friend that now lives in the mid west. He has many turkeys to his credit. So much of what you wrote parelled what he has been telling me. Especially that we are all going to make mistakes, but learn something from each of them, and one day it will come together. I messed up this morning and got up off my seat. (my butt and right leg went numb) Low and behold after getting up, I saw one about 100 yds away. Long story short, he picked me out and was gone in a flash. Perhaps had I waited 30 minutes after I thought I couldn't sit there any longer, he may have come in range. Lesson learned..... a milk crate with a foam pad is not a good seat to use. Again, thank you for your posts.

Ryan -

Your point about decoys being a potential danger on public land hit home as my little nephew over in Griffin got peppered pretty bad two years ago behind a b-mobile on Rum Creek WMA. This is one of the best things to ever come out of Jug Tavern, my Smokin Po Boy eating friend.

Feel free to stop in for a pound of pork and fries, on the house, next time you are downtown with the female. Haven't seen you in there in a while, Ryan. Call Dottie, she needs to talk to you about the reunion this year.

ryanwhit

Ryan -

Your point about decoys being a potential danger on public land hit home as my little nephew over in Griffin got peppered pretty bad two years ago behind a b-mobile on Rum Creek WMA. This is one of the best things to ever come out of Jug Tavern, my Smokin Po Boy eating friend.

Feel free to stop in for a pound of pork and fries, on the house, next time you are downtown with the female. Haven't seen you in there in a while, Ryan. Call Dottie, she needs to talk to you about the reunion this year.

And how is the old green yota, Conway? I can't kill any of mine, they just keep tickin'.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Love reading this thread every year.

For the New Turkey Hunters

Basic things you must do or know to kill turkeys consistently:

1. Hunt where turkeys live
2. Knowing the killing range of your shotgun
3. Learn how to call
4. Have a plan before daylight
5. If you are lucky, learn the game from a successful turkey hunter

With that said, we all could write books on each of the of the five basic topics. I've turkey hunted over 25 years and have done or tried most everything.

Of the five topics listed above, the one thing that prevents new hunters from being successful is being flexible with your plan. My first spring bird caused me to chase him through two hollers and over third ridges before I killed him. I can tell you my pre-dawn plan did not include that 7 mile run across WV.

Successful turkey hunters are willing to help new hunters who ask. They will give you the answers you seek but, will not share everything they know. The best of them are mystics and are seldom seen in the woods. If he lets you admire a bird he's killed and you ask, "Where did you kill that bird?", don't expect more than a wry grin. Us old hunters know better than to ask. My own son won't tell me everything sometimes. It's part of the mystery that we love and earned membership into a tight knit fraternity.

To close, you are not a real turkey hunter until you miss at least one bird. That sting should propel you to be even better at the game. The lessons you learn from missing a bird are ingrained for a lifetime.

FlukeBryan

Banned
This will be my first year in the turkey woods, and i cant wait to play that ol gobbler his first love song. Lot of good high notes in here, boys. Who can I message for advice about gobblers, meaning i dont want to post it publicly?

turkeykirk

This will be my first year in the turkey woods, and i cant wait to play that ol gobbler his first love song. Lot of good high notes in here, boys. Who can I message for advice about gobblers, meaning i dont want to post it publicly?

Back right on time.

Gaswamp

Blisterapine

Good thread - another thing you can point out , ( I see it on TV) folks call waaay to much. Once you've located the turkey in the tree, if you know where he's going when he flies down, you don't have to call at all. As a matter of fact it may be better not to. When you do , a call or 2 is really all you need. From that he knows EXACTLY where you are. All the calling in the world isn't going to make him come if he doesn't want to.
He knows where he's going before he even flies down- remember in his world, the hens come to him when he gobbles (even if he doesn't say a word, they know the tree he's roosted in, , He's not supposed to come to us- of course he may if there are no hens around.. Point is Location is key and sitting where he's going! - and don't get to hung up on "calling" some of the worst calling in the world is an actual hen turkey with a screechy out-of tune yelping voice.

JCS1993

Really Helpful

Just wanted to say this has been really helpful. This is my first-year turkey hunting, and without the advice of experienced turkey hunters I've talked to and this post, I really wouldn't have a clue where to start.

I walked one WMA yesterday and party of another after that. Just trying to get a feel for the lay of the land and know where I should go.

Thanks again!