For you hunters 55 and older

joedublin

I am 82, a cancer and heartfailure survivor, and I'll be chasing deer in SW GA this season, just like the years before, until my Father and my God calls me home. That's the way I want to live and the way I want to go home. I'd love to go hunting with Nic just once before I do go home.

six

Grew up with a little wild child no fear mentality and have paid the price. I'm 56 and have been pretty much rebuilt. Four shoulder surgeries, three elbow surgeries, two hand surgeries, two knee surgeries and one ankle surgery and consider myself extremely lucky compared to some. . I survived the first 56 years and gained some wisdumb along the way. So I figure I'm good for at least another 56 years now.

robert carter

I`m 55 and can`t imagine not hunting. I hunt mostly public land all with a tradbow. I never drag a deer or hog. It gets boned out and in the back pack where it falls. My average kill is probably a mile from the truck. Deer and pigs together usually around a dozen a year. Thank you Lord for not only the health but Will to get it done.

280bst

Just turned 67 still going checking camera's scouting and such get a kick listening to younger folks they seem to over think everything as far as quitting well hunting and gardening is what keeps me going. As far as feeling 67 I don't know never been 67 before Good Luck to All this season ::gone:

Triple C

Just turned 60. Best thing us over 50 guys can do is stay active. Get in the gym and do strength training and heavy cardio. Or, at the least, walk a few miles every day. Read the book, "Younger Next Year" bout 4 years ago and made a huge lifestyle change regarding nutrition and exercise. Pay no attention to my home made biscuit n gravy pics from the farm. Just the occasional indulgence...:biggrin2:

shdw633

I am 82, a cancer and heartfailure survivor, and I'll be chasing deer in SW GA this season, just like the years before, until my Father and my God calls me home. That's the way I want to live and the way I want to go home. I'd love to go hunting with Nic just once before I do go home.

Go get em Joe!!!! Hope you bust a monster this year!!! :shoot:

Deerhead

When I was a teenager... we had a retired principal. He always said he wanted to dye in the woods while hunting with his dogs. Well guess what... he got his wish and his dogs never left his side.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
might lay up in a pontoon boat when (if) the late years comes and take it slow. dont know yet. depends on what my wife wants to do and if she's still good looking

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
I'm only 59 and do pretty dang well in the woods thank you...:)
Actually, I'm not at all gunho and real serious about it like I use to be. I still want to go and i still hit the woods as often as possible. I take great leisure in a quite stroll through the woods. I quit hunt'n trophies a long time ago. I just love being out there. I still get my deer, I just tend to do more small game hunting now a days. I feel its more relaxing, for me any way. Plus it gives me more time with my grandsons in the woods. You'd be surprised how much a young child can learn about life in general, just by strolling through the woods.
I actually believe some folks just grow weary of all the hype associated with hunting in the 21st century. Perhaps they forgot about what its really all about. It is definitely crazier out there today, that's for sure. But, I believe I'll hunt till i keel over dead. I just have too much fun out there to just give it up.

Dirtroad Johnson

Just turned 60. Best thing us over 50 guys can do is stay active. Get in the gym and do strength training and heavy cardio. Or, at the least, walk a few miles every day. Read the book, "Younger Next Year" bout 4 years ago and made a huge lifestyle change regarding nutrition and exercise. Pay no attention to my home made biscuit n gravy pics from the farm. Just the occasional indulgence...:biggrin2:

You are right, them biscuits & gravy show look tasty too.

Last edited:

swamp hunter

If you see some Drag Marks on the trail...that's me crawling back into the swamp on my final hunt...

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I sure hope I'm not considering myself old at 55..

Now... If I'm lucky enough to make it to 85, I might consider it. Lol

shdw633

I sure hope I'm not considering myself old at 55..

Now... If I'm lucky enough to make it to 85, I might consider it. Lol

Your brain never considers you to be old at any age.....it's the rest of your body that will consider itself old!!!

TJay

I'm 62 and still looking forward to going hunting every season. My priorities have changed somewhat but I'm still hunting and climbing like always. I agree with what was said about staying active and finding an exercise program you can live with. And most importantly, I still love fresh venison!

bilgerat

Senior
I just turned 58 and I haven't slowed down either, if anything I ramped it up in the last few years, as I get older I have found that I have more time and $ to spend perusing my passion for deer hunting. I take it more seriously lately and get to travel more to different states and a trip to Canada each year. Just hope My health permits me to continue for many more years.:cool:

oppthepop

Just hit 60 - will stop when my family puts me in the ground. Thankful to have a son to hang the lock ons though! Still do most anything I have always done. I pray for the Good Lord's blessings on my health so I can continue what I love and do it with my children and grand children. And can I say that "Beast 48's" and John Deere makes it much more doable! :)

JohnK

I'm 66 and still going by myself ok. We have a couple of guys that run a generator all night for their cpap and stay hooked to oxygen bottles most of the day but morning and afternoon they still go to the stand.....get some deer too.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I am 70 and know there are things that I can not do that I did even 10 years ago. As long as I stay within my limits I do fine. Just every once and a while, I forget how old my body is and overdo it. I usually pay for it the next day. These hills up here have gotten a lot steeper than they use to be.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
The older I get,(57) the more I enjoy a quiet ride to the deer woods in my truck,a slow wake up rollcall in the a.m. and fine dining at the deer camp.Not to mention indoor plumbing.