Why did you buy a kayak ?

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
Just a little fun discussion,
What made you decide to buy a kayak ?
I bought mine, as an inexpensive way to get out on the water to fish.
I use our canoe when the wife , or someone else goes along to fish. I wanted something light I could handle by myself for when I go fishing.
I wanted to keep it simple and light. No bells or whistles. I enjoy the paddle, as much as the fishing.
Why did you buy yours ?

Wasn't much of a selection in my area when I was looking for a good fishing yak so, Bought my Old Town Predator 13 from Amazon.com, free shipping, delivered right to my front door. Bought it to fish the back water, lakes, creeks, ponds, rivers. Works great for me, Love it.

DSB0001

Sold the bass boat and looked in the mirror and realized i was fat. decided i could kill 2 birds with one stone.

Turns out my best workout comes when i have to hoist the yak back on the garage ceiling for storage.

jcarleto

I was pretty happy to say goodbye to my last powerboat and had enjoyed canoes over the years with 2 exceptions: They are a bit tippy for someone my height and I have never really been comfortable sitting in one. The first time I tried one of the new fishing kayaks, I knew that was the answer. It is very comfortable and for me, more stable than a canoe.

blindhog

To fish where I cant take my flats boat.

Its an easy loading , unloading way to fish creeks, and some heavy vegetated lakes.

Corey

I was single until I turned 30, for some reason I felt I needed to get a wife settle down and have some kids. If I had known
I would loose all my toys (Bass Boat, Duck Boat, 4 Wheeler, Hunting Lease and Rabbit Dogs) I might would have changed
my mind. :)

Just don't have the $ for that kind of stuff anymore, not sure if any of you ever had a daughter in travel softball you know what
I mean. Now I have a son starting baseball... A Kayak was the only way for me to get out and do what I love, its ok I will win the
lotto one of these days.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
At first, it was an economical to get me out there.
Now it's a way for me to share my enjoyment of being on the water and fishing with my wife. She loves being in the yak on a river.

Yakman22

I had never even been in a kayak before I bought mine, I just loved to fish and didn't really want a boat(or maybe couldn't afford one). I was hooked after my first time out. There's just some kind of peace about being on a river or lake in a kayak, it's almost like your closer to nature or something. I've now got my wife hooked and we do family river trips, just a great experience.

Wayfarer

I bought my first kayak Saturday. I have only test floated in the demo pool. I did tons of research and rode several to make my decision. I have a center console boat and a canoe on top of the pop up that my wife and I enjoy paddling around when camping. I think it is like Flintlock said, to make it simple and light. To get closer to the fish and be able to go to new places. I am new to this part of GON forum because of this new found interest. I hope to learn a lot and have some great times connecting with nature and fellow 'yak'ers! Also, I got a kayak because I suck at golf and don't have a "man cave" to hide in!!!

Randy

I grew up fishing the rivers in Georgia and other places. As I got older I wanted a big bass boat to go anywhere. After getting one, fishing from it for 10 years and realizing it was a lot of work and money to keep running, I looked for a way to fish those rivers I fished as a kid. I saw some guys in a magazine fishing from SOT kayaks in California. I figured if they could fish in the ocean, I could fish in the river. Nearly 20 years later and it has become my life. I only wish there were SOT kayaks around when I was younger. I didn't even start till almost 40.

Totaloutdoorsman

My buddy offered to sell me his Ascend FS10 for $100 so I couldn't refuse the offer. I'm gonna use it to slip down the rivers on Ft Stewart for turkeys and maybe some fishing around the marshes when the weather is nice and calm.

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
I bought a pelican premium apex angler100, even after reading all the reviews I could find on them.
I've only had it out once, due to that four letter word, work...
It seems to do what i need it to do, but I'm no kayak expert. The only add ons I plan on, are an anchor trolly, a cup holder and some "dry" storage.
I plan on purposely, not getting bogged down by the many mods you can do to a kayak. If I ever get the itch to do that, I believe it will be with a different kayak.
But for now, the inexpensive simplicity has my attention. I like the idea of a 40 lb. kayak that i can easily handle when I'm out by myself. I still like taking my old town canoe out and throwing a streamer or popping bug out though. I believe its the paddling that's addictive for me.

Last edited:

fish hawk

Bass Master
To fish where I cant take my flats boat.

Its an easy loading , unloading way to fish creeks, and some heavy vegetated lakes.
Blindhog were you and a younger fella out on the Ocklocknee in your kayaks Sunday afternoon Feb-20,if so I think I passed you guys,yall were heading out and I was heading in.
Because of Fish Hawk's Hammered Them On The Creek Thread. I had to have one.

Glad the thread inspired you,if your ever down around the Columbus area hit me up and we'll hit the creek.

Last edited: