Lake Lanier Crappie 3/25/17

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
StriperHunter, my Dad and I ventured out to Lanier on Saturday morning to chase those taco's I so dearly love to eat.. We met at OBT and loaded up with minnows (which we didn't need). Clarks Bridge was closed and we wanted to hit the northern end of Hooch in hopes of trolling for walleye. I spoke to the lady at Don Carter state park and she said yeah, no problem.. Plenty of water.. Well, for those of you wondering, you can put in at Don Carter. I would not recommend it for ANYONE with a large boat. We watched more than one mud kicker suck sand and mud into their lower unit. And when leaving the cove to get to the river, stay right at the mouth unless you want to hit a hump and get stuck in the mud.

The bite was a little slow that morning but it wasn't long before we found some fish and a pattern. We found fish on only 2 docks and everything else was on structure. We marked a tree with side imaging from our last visit and the 1st cast of a jig yielded a crappie. We hung a few more of that tree and the bite stopped. That was a pattern that would go throughout the day. 3 to 4 fish at every stop except the last 2 of the day which gave us better results. We ended up putting 27 in the box, threw a few back and missed a dozen more. 95% of our fish came from casting crappie jigs. My jig of choice was one that our good ol Mod, Rhbama tied for me. These things are awesome! The only complaint is I hung the pictured crappie jig about 60 times on under water limbs, pulled it free and had to bend the hook back each time before it finally broke. :D

Also, this was the 1st time StriperHunter and I used "Gliss" line. This line is a game changer, especially for lighter line applications. I could cast a crappie jig as far as I could cast a shad rap with this line. With little effort! I can't wait to wade a river with this line. I'll be able to stand back a very good ways when working the trout stream. Before I would be crawling and staying as low to the water as possible to make long casts. Not anymore. I would recommend this line. As far as longevity compared to braid, that has not been tested but it's worth the money to throw on a reel and try for yourself.

Moonpie1

Gone but not forgotten
Good mess of fish Slayer! They will be some good tacos. I have a filet knife like the one you use, it is ancient and still going strong!

Browning Slayer

Good mess of fish Slayer! They will be some good tacos. I have a filet knife like the one you use, it is ancient and still going strong!

Rapala fillet knives are the best EVER made!

StriperrHunterr

It was a great time. You forgot to mention that visibility was almost 0 starting the day out. Even a bright jig would be completely invisible only 3-4 inches into the water. We had to really pick the structure apart to produce the hits because we almost had to hit them in the head with it, but when we did they engulfed it. Only a handful were corner of the mouth hookups, most of them the jig wasn't even visible and was buried in the roof of their mouths.

I have a wedding to go to this Saturday but I may try to sneak out with the wife on Sunday and put in at Laurel to see what we can produce.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Fine mess of fish, and a good way to spend the day. And yep, my old Rapala like that is still working great after more than 25 years.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Nice catch, and nice report.:clap:
When you texted me the pic, I knew I had picked the wrong endeavor for the weekend. Turkey hunting instead of fishing.
Deadsville at my lease. Not a peep was heard.

StriperrHunterr

Tip your jigs with any of those minnows or just fished them naked?

Tried them tipped but they didn't seem to want them. We did pick up a couple on minnows under floats, but they had to usually sit in the water for a while before they'd hit. The jigs on the other hand were much more productive. We even had a few follow them all the way to the boat, and in one case hit my jig while it was just sitting in the water about 4 feet while I'd laid it down to get a drink.

Cmp1

BANNED
Nice catches Slayer and StripeRR HunteRR,,,, was wondering about the Gliss,,,, How is it to tie,,,, I usually use a trilene knot,,,, I read where there were some issues with tying it,,,,

StriperrHunterr

Nice catches Slayer and StripeRR HunteRR,,,, was wondering about the Gliss,,,, How is it to tie,,,, I usually use a trilene knot,,,, I read where there were some issues with tying it,,,,

I started off using an improved clinch knot and it worked well, but then muscle memory took over when I lost one and tied a palomar. I left around a 1/4" tag end when I clipped and had no slippage. This line is awesome. It has next to no spool memory, straightens out with the slightest pressure, and is an insanely low diameter. I was using the 18lb that has a lower diameter than my 8lb copolymer. Unless it wrapped around something, like a dock or limb, or wedged into a rock shelf, I could straighten the hooks on the jiffy jigs and get most of them back. More than a few times I ended up moving sections of the brushpile even if it did wrap.

I'm a believer in this line, and those jigs, for crappie. Saturday really changed the way I'm going to approach this species from here on.

Browning Slayer

Did you do any trolling for Walleyes? Have you had any success with this method? Thanks, " Fishon01"

No, we trolled for about 100 yards or so and we weren't serious about it. We just moved to the next crappie looking fishing area. And yes, I've had really good success this time of year. And when I say "really good" that is compared to Walleye fishing the main lake. I've had days where I've caught nothing and I've had days where 6 to 7 fish were caught. And you'll also pull up crappie, bass and white bass while you are doing this.

Browning Slayer

Tip your jigs with any of those minnows or just fished them naked?

I haven't tipped a jig in years! I'm just a crappie jig junkie. I caught maybe 2 on a minnow and that was strictly cause I threw a float out and let it sit while I was slinging a jig..

and those jigs, for crappie. Saturday really changed the way I'm going to approach this species from here on.

And a quick learner!

StriperrHunterr

I haven't tipped a jig in years! I'm just a crappie jig junkie. I caught maybe 2 on a minnow and that was strictly cause I threw a float out and let it sit while I was slinging a jig..

And a quick learner!

I'd used just jigs before, a little thing called a flick tail a friend in NC used to pour but I never had much luck with it despite sticking with it. But maybe they were the wrong color for the day.

The only way this day could have been better was if we would have figured out the pattern earlier. I think we would have broke 50.

Browning Slayer

I'd used just jigs before, a little thing called a flick tail a friend in NC used to pour but I never had much luck with it despite sticking with it. But maybe they were the wrong color for the day.

The only way this day could have been better was if we would have figured out the pattern earlier. I think we would have broke 50.

If the wind didn't screw with us all day, we would have.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Trolling Question.... How deep? In the channel on the bottom, what type of lure? Thanks

I've never fished Lanier, but lots of folks troll for walleye here in western NC. I've caught a lot this time of year into late April trolling around river mouths with Wally Divers, curlytail grubs, deep-running jerkbaits, various spoons, and nightcrawlers on a spinner rig. They will usually be right on the bottom, and you want to troll slooooooowly.

Later in the year, the walleye usually suspend out in the main channels under balls of bait. Downriggers or dipsey divers are the way to go then, often maybe fishing 40-70 feet deep, or whatever level they are showing on the fish finder.