The Case For Christ

Broken Tine

The book was great.
I'm looking forward to the movie...

ambush80

I read through Strobel's book at my Mom's house one weekend. I wasn't convinced. What parts of it did you find most compelling? Would you look at a counter argument?

https://www.amazon.com/Case-Against-Christ-Testament-Reverend/dp/1578840058

"Leading New Testament scholar Robert M. Price has taken umbrage at the cavalier manner in which Rev. Lee Strobel has misrepresented the field of Bible scholarship in his book The Case for Christ."

"Retro-engineering the argument".

Broken Tine

What are the odds?

I guess the part that most compelled me was where he interviewed the Jewish man that had converted. The mathmatical odds involved when Jesus Christ fulfilled all of the Old Testament prophecies about the Messiah are mind boggling (to my little brain anyway).
And yes, I am open to hearing other views and opinions.

ambush80

I guess the part that most compelled me was where he interviewed the Jewish man that had converted. The mathmatical odds involved when Jesus Christ fulfilled all of the Old Testament prophecies about the Messiah are mind boggling (to my little brain anyway).
And yes, I am open to hearing other views and opinions.

There have been some really good conversations going on in some of the other threads. Many of them contain testimony stories in which people link things that happened to them (many not so miraculous) to prayers being answered. They may come across as mind boggling, too, until you examine them fully.

Do you know who Nostradamus is? Here's a start:

https://www.google.com/webhp?ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=nostradamus+propecies+that+have+come+true&*

centerpin fan

"Leading New Testament scholar Robert M. Price has taken umbrage at the cavalier manner in which Rev. Lee Strobel has misrepresented the field of Bible scholarship in his book The Case for Christ."

Robert McNair Price (born July 7, 1954) is an American theologian and writer,[4] known for arguing against the existence of a historical Jesus (the Christ myth theory). He taught philosophy and religion at the Johnnie Colemon Theological Seminary.[5] He is a professor of biblical criticism at the Center for Inquiry Institute, and the author of a number of books on theology and the historicity of Jesus.

A former Baptist minister, he was the editor of the Journal of Higher Criticism from 1994 until it ceased publication in 2003. He has also written extensively about the Cthulhu Mythos, a "shared universe" created by the writer H. P. Lovecraft.[6] He also co-wrote a book with his wife, Carol Selby Price, Mystic Rhythms: The Philosophical Vision of Rush (1999), on the rock band Rush.

Price is a fellow of the Jesus Seminar, a group of 150 writers and scholars who study the historicity of Jesus, the organizer of a Web community for those interested in the history of Christianity,[7] and sits on the advisory board of the Secular Student Alliance.[3] He is a religious skeptic, especially of orthodox Christian beliefs, occasionally describing himself as a Christian atheist

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_M._Price

ambush80

Robert McNair Price (born July 7, 1954) is an American theologian and writer,[4] known for arguing against the existence of a historical Jesus (the Christ myth theory). He taught philosophy and religion at the Johnnie Colemon Theological Seminary.[5] He is a professor of biblical criticism at the Center for Inquiry Institute, and the author of a number of books on theology and the historicity of Jesus.

A former Baptist minister, he was the editor of the Journal of Higher Criticism from 1994 until it ceased publication in 2003. He has also written extensively about the Cthulhu Mythos, a "shared universe" created by the writer H. P. Lovecraft.[6] He also co-wrote a book with his wife, Carol Selby Price, Mystic Rhythms: The Philosophical Vision of Rush (1999), on the rock band Rush.

Price is a fellow of the Jesus Seminar, a group of 150 writers and scholars who study the historicity of Jesus, the organizer of a Web community for those interested in the history of Christianity,[7] and sits on the advisory board of the Secular Student Alliance.[3] He is a religious skeptic, especially of orthodox Christian beliefs, occasionally describing himself as a Christian atheist

Yeah, right?

He spends allot of time on this stuff.

ambush80

Your quote referred to him as a "leading New Testament scholar". I just thought that needed to be fleshed out a little.

That was from Amazon. It's probably on the back cover of his book.

Attacking the messenger? Unimpressed with his C.V.?

Last edited:

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)

I stopped reading at 'Jesus Seminar'. Their mission: spreading lies. Credibility =0
Nice fleshing.

SemperFiDawg

The book was great.
I'm looking forward to the movie...

I thought the book was great also. Not gonna be real well received here though. AAs don't like a story in which one of their own goes rogue and actually analyzes the evidence from an objective standpoint and comes to the only logical conclusion. No Sir. No place for that in the Doctrine of Intellectual Dishonesty.

WaltL1

I thought the book was great also. Not gonna be real well received here though. AAs don't like a story in which one of their own goes rogue and actually analyzes the evidence from an objective standpoint and comes to the only logical conclusion. No Sir. No place for that in the Doctrine of Intellectual Dishonesty.
I'm curious -
Do you feel better about yourself and your beliefs when you make ridiculous statements like this?
I know you are capable of intelligent thought but sometimes your train REALLY goes off the rails.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I'm curious -
Do you feel better about yourself and your beliefs when you make ridiculous statements like this?
I know you are capable of intelligent thought but sometimes your train REALLY goes off the rails.
He has never put forth a valid argument in defense of his religious claims so baseless and untrue insults is all he has left.
He can't back them up either and it's probably the reason he pops in, hurls em, and then leaves as quickly when he is asked to back them up. He thinks we forget in between.
Lets call the pattern Intellectually Lazy.

Last edited:

SemperFiDawg

I'm curious -

Have you read the book, and have you seen the silly comments on this thread from some of the AAs?

660griz

Evidence?
"Strobel fails to interview a single skeptic - atheist or of some belief besides Evangelical Christianity."
"The real intent of the book is to provide some semi-intellectual basis for believing the claims of Christianity, and that is perhaps the only audience that will find the case compelling."
Objective?
"It is certainly not unheard of for a spouse to change his/her religion in accordance with their partner. Did Strobel really want to study Christianity to learn about the shifts in his wife's behavior or did he want to find a reason to stay with the woman he loves?"
---Taylor Carr

Just like "God is Not Dead", these type are only good for the Christian masses that love a good pep rally.

Because for them, "When an “award-winning” atheist journalist sets out to disprove Christianity once and for all, and he winds up a convinced, faithful Christian believer — case closed!"
---Kyle Roberts

Here is a good read, for some.
http://freethoughtpedia.com/wiki/The_Case_For_Christ

Interestingly, I found this:
"The book is intellectually dishonest." :)

SemperFiDawg

Evidence?
"Strobel fails to interview a single skeptic - atheist or of some belief besides Evangelical Christianity."

Uhhhhhh. Forgive me for pointing out the obvious. Guess someone missed the point in their haste to refute but Strobel WAS the skeptic-atheist who was attempting to disprove the case for Christ. Again, it only comes with reading the actual book.

660griz

Guess someone missed the point in their haste to refute but Strobel WAS the skeptic-atheist who was attempting to disprove the case for Christ. Again, it only comes with reading the actual book.

Not when he wrote the book. Trust me, I didn't miss the point. Any of them. You have to read my post to know I knew he was a so called atheist. A not very informed atheist but...

SemperFiDawg

Not when he wrote the book. Trust me, I didn't miss the point. Any of them. You have to read my post to know I knew he was a so called atheist. A not very informed atheist but...

Hey, whatever excuse you need. The more absurd the better.