SC Bird #2

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
Man, is it fun when a turkey hunt goes exactly according to plan! That's what happened to me this morning as I heard one gobble early while making my way down a gated woods road. I immediately exited the road and started in his general direction, pausing now and then to wait for another gobble in order to better chart the course.

It soon became apparent that he wasn't on the cane filled ridge with me but down into the vast open hardwood bottom below....and he wasn't alone as I was now hearing multiple gobblers. As I entered the bottom in the breaking dawn light the question became how far did dare push onward? I sat once but it didn't feel just right so I scurried up to huge cypress tree 30 yards ahead and dug in.

It was a fun wait as I was continually being bombarded by the most beautiful sounds that nature can throw at you. Finally they flew down although I heard or saw nothing when they did but the gobbling was now from ground level. I began to work my new Olin Humphries Scratch Box as well as my new slate pot with positive results.

The combo proved too much for one lone gobbler and his distant gobbles became ever closer and more insistent. I stayed silent and shifted my position around the ancient tree as he thoughtfully announced his approach route. Movement now...coming up low to the ground out of a slough at about 40 yards. My red dot found his red head as he stood in strut and peered my way.

The Federal Heavyweight 7 shell rang out through the bottom like only a turkey load can and the gobbler was down right in his tracks. As a bonus he turned out to be a banded bird and I was met at the check station by several interested DNR folks after calling the number on the tag. They gave me a nice run down on the two year old that was tagged last February as a jake. He had travelled a good ways!

Some pics of the bird, terrain, tag and the main call used...

Attachments

• SAM_0711.jpg
    SAM_0711.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 842
  • SAM_0725.jpg
    SAM_0725.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 838
  • SAM_0726.jpg
    SAM_0726.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 846
  • SAM_0720.jpg
    SAM_0720.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 840
  • SAM_0722 (2).jpg
    SAM_0722 (2).jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 842

deast1988

Awesome getting it done

turkeykirk

Great story and pictures!

Steve Roberts

Nice!!! WTG

Ricochet

Nice bird, how far did he travel according to the DNR folks?

wvdawg

Staff member
Excellent read - thanks for sharing - you are on a roll! Congrats on another fine bird!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Thanks for sharing! Man that is Amazing to get one with a tag!! Super Congrats!!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Congrats Echo , I'm also interested in how far he traveled !

Lumpkin Hunter

Congrats

Congrats on a great bird and hunt. That lil Scratchn Hen box call is an awesome call. I have one just like it. I also have a slate, ceramic, single sided box and numerous strikers from Olin. He makes a great call. Killed one with the slate this year so far and called in another for my son in law with it.
Again Congrats.

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
Awesome getting it done

Very cool!

That is cool! Congrats!

Great story and pictures!

Nice!!! WTG

Great story! Congrats

Nice bird, how far did he travel according to the DNR folks?

Congrats on another fine bird!

Wow that is a once in a lifetime harvest! Congrats!

Excellent read - thanks for sharing - you are on a roll! Congrats on another fine bird!

Thanks for sharing! Man that is Amazing to get one with a tag!! Super Congrats!!

Thanks everybody! I hope you all have a great season this year.

Congrats Echo , I'm also interested in how far he traveled !

Thanks antharper....the DNR just showed me on their map where he was captured last year without putting an actual number on the distance from where I shot him but it appeared to be several miles. Nothing earth shattering but they remarked that he had done some travelling.

Never even thought about killing a banded gobbler but it was pretty cool and I'll definitely be hanging on to the souvenir.

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
Congrats on a great bird and hunt. That lil Scratchn Hen box call is an awesome call. I have one just like it. I also have a slate, ceramic, single sided box and numerous strikers from Olin. He makes a great call. Killed one with the slate this year so far and called in another for my son in law with it.
Again Congrats.

Thanks, Lumpkin! Yeah, Olin's calls were recommended to me by a good friend who knew how much I liked a good scratch box and I can definitely say that his is one of the best that I've ever used. It's been with me on every hunt this season and will continue to be one of my go-to calls.

I'm going to have check out his slate call and strikers as well!

dawg7478

Man-I can hardly respond to one post before you have nailed another. Take a break and let the season last a bit longer! Seriously, you should write for a hunting journal.

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
Man-I can hardly respond to one post before you have nailed another. Take a break and let the season last a bit longer! Seriously, you should write for a hunting journal.

Wow, thanks but I think I better see about killing a Georgia bird or two before sending in any resumes. The Peach State birds have had my number thus far! Plenty of time to go though...