What is a Pilot snake?

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
The same here, Mr. Vernon. Around home nobody called em a copperhead either. It was always a highland moccasin.

Yea, speckled or white perch, and trout. Daddy said when he was little there were two kinds of those big woodpeckers. There was the "Lord God" woodpecker, and there was one that looked a lot like it called the wood hen. He said the Lord God woodpecker was a little bit bigger than the wood hen and had more white on its back. He also said there were a lot more wood hens than Lord Gods and they had different calls. He never heard the names Ivorybill and Pileated woodpeckers until I was a grown man and explained it to him.

He also said that they were both good to eat.
Well thats a first ... Eating woodpeckers. I guess when you get right down to it, its all just meat.

Artfuldodger

The same here, Mr. Vernon. Around home nobody called em a copperhead either. It was always a highland moccasin.

Yea, speckled or white perch, and trout. Daddy said when he was little there were two kinds of those big woodpeckers. There was the "Lord God" woodpecker, and there was one that looked a lot like it called the wood hen. He said the Lord God woodpecker was a little bit bigger than the wood hen and had more white on its back. He also said there were a lot more wood hens than Lord Gods and they had different calls. He never heard the names Ivorybill and Pileated woodpeckers until I was a grown man and explained it to him.

Dad used to say he saw a healthy Poor Joe in a dead live oak.

Artfuldodger

Well thats a first ... Eating woodpeckers. I guess when you get right down to it, its all just meat.

We ate lots of Yellow Hammer Woodpeckers. (Flickers)

It's amazing how one can go up a few counties, cross a state line, or up to the mountains and here different names for things.
For instance tomato gravy or hoe cake has different meanings. Oh and a Brush Axe. Some call it a brush axe and others call it a _______.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

There`s lots of birds that eat good. I`ve told elsewhere here in the past about Daddy and them thrashing robins. And Mama making bird pies for us. And also eating with the seasons. The South Georgia flatwoods were and still are full of food. :)

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I remember growing up,my Uncle Mutt calling a copperhead a pilot snake.He also told me the common water snake was a copperbelly and was deadly ****onous.
KD

I had a Uncle Mutt too... he was from the Roach side of my family.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yea, when I was a youngun I was showed a copperbelly and told that I wouldn`t make it from the pond to the house if I was ever bit by one. They was turrible pizen. :)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

All the old timers around here call pileated woodpeckers "wood hens," too. And grandpa used to shoot 'em and eat 'em.

What I have heard called a pilot snake here is just a big, grayish color-phase copperhead. The old timers swore they were two different snakes. They also said hoop snakes would roll down a hill and chase you, and stick you with the deadly stinger on the ends of their tails; and that if you chopped a joint snake up, the pieces would crawl around until they found each other and would grow back together.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
All the old timers around here call pileated woodpeckers "wood hens," too. And grandpa used to shoot 'em and eat 'em.

What I have heard called a pilot snake here is just a big, grayish color-phase copperhead. The old timers swore they were two different snakes. They also said hoop snakes would roll down a hill and chase you, and stick you with the deadly stinger on the ends of their tails; and that if you chopped a joint snake up, the pieces would crawl around until they found each other and would grow back together.

Back in 2006 before I retired, we were working the 115,000 volt line that runs through Chickasawhatchee WMA down here and I saw this rascal rolling towards us. Everybody jumped in the trucks and shut the doors and I stayed up in the bucket on my truck and got this shot as it came by. Luckily, it was in a hurry and went on outa sight. Only one I`ve ever seen.

Attachments

• hoop_snake_final.jpg
    hoop_snake_final.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 336

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Back in 2006 before I retired, we were working the 115,000 volt line that runs through Chickasawhatchee WMA down here and I saw this rascal rolling towards us. Everybody jumped in the trucks and shut the doors and I stayed up in the bucket on my truck and got this shot as it came by. Luckily, it was in a hurry and went on outa sight. Only one I`ve ever seen.

You were a lucky man. Feller near here got chased by one and he saw it was gonna catch him, so he ducked around behind a big tulip poplar. That thing went to hit him and stuck its stinger in the tree trunk. Every leaf on that tree was wilted down and dead within an hour.

(Actual story I heard growing up.) :)

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten

Them Hoop snakes aint nothing to mess with.

Redbow

A Copperhead was called a Pilot by just about all the country folks while I was living in SC...I never heard anyone in the part of NC I grew up in call a Snake a Pilot..There was a woman in our neighborhood that swore Hoop Snakes did exist she said one chased her when she was a little girl....An old man living in our neighborhood told me and some teenage friends of mine that he came across a Sting Snake one day back in his younger years. Seems someone put out a large bounty for a Sting Snake back then if someone could produce one for him to see they would get the money. But no-one ever did..