Some Bowfin Action

fish hawk

Bass Master
Bowfin is one of the best fighting freshwater fish there is,they will flat destroy some tackle!!!

61BelAir

I've said it before, but I don't understand why people who primarily catch and release don't target bowfin more. They've got to be one of the most aggressive freshwater fish around here.

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Never seen one, never caught one. But I wish I could target them! If they jumped, I'd probably even fish for them over bass

61BelAir

Never seen one, never caught one. But I wish I could target them! If they jumped, I'd probably even fish for them over bass

They almost always jump. Every one I've caught has been in the Oconee River, but they are found all over. I've never caught one over 5 or 6 pounds. I think the state record is around 16 pounds and the world record is in the low 20's from a north eastern state. I might be wrong about this stuff as I haven't read it in awhile.

I hear the Okefenokee is one of the best places for numbers of them. Don't lip one!! They will bite pretty much anything a bass will, but like in the video they will annihilate a spinner bait.

Last summer I had a few small bass on a stringer and one kept attacking them. I couldn't get him to bite a lure so I ended up having to literally beat him off my fish with the kayak paddle. That 3 pound or so bowfin was swimming right up and biting 14" to 16" largemouth on the stringer right beside my kayak in clear water.

fish hawk

Bass Master

They almost always jump. Every one I've caught has been in the Oconee River, but they are found all over. I've never caught one over 5 or 6 pounds. I think the state record is around 16 pounds and the world record is in the low 20's from a north eastern state. I might be wrong about this stuff as I haven't read it in awhile.

I hear the Okefenokee is one of the best places for numbers of them. Don't lip one!! They will bite pretty much anything a bass will, but like in the video they will annihilate a spinner bait.

Last summer I had a few small bass on a stringer and one kept attacking them. I couldn't get him to bite a lure so I ended up having to literally beat him off my fish with the kayak paddle. That 3 pound or so bowfin was swimming right up and biting 14" to 16" largemouth on the stringer right beside my kayak in clear water.

Mudfish/bowfin are a lot more common the farther south you go but are found all over the state.They will hit just about anything you want to throw.Worms,spinnerbaits,crankbaits and live bait all work.They are powerful fish and fight just like bass on steroids,the real fun starts when you get them by the boat.......I caught this one on a hard body swimbait.

Attachments

• 14716078_1286524641379872_3936119751303286452_n.jpg
    14716078_1286524641379872_3936119751303286452_n.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 625

Axis2011KR

Great lookin Bowfins! I loved fishing for these guys back home (Lake Fork, TX) my pb is just shy of 12lbs and would really like to get out after them around here.

Any recommendations on spots worth trying or anyone with a boat seat available for a trip? I'll chip in for gas/drinks!

61BelAir

How does one target them? Like if I wanted to try for them in Lanier, what would I need to do?

I think it is more a matter of fishing where they are at than different techniques. I think they will hit any lure a bass will along with both live and dead natural bait.

Dark swampy water is good, but I see them in clear rivers and creeks too.

Axis2011KR

How does one target them? Like if I wanted to try for them in Lanier, what would I need to do?

Shallow/still water is the best location to start, the warmer the better they breathe air so oxygen isn't an issue in that super warm water. Heavy cover like dense lily pads or brush piles that break the surface have been my best spots in the past sight fishing. Expect VERY aggressive strikes throwing crankbaits or spinnerbaits. First twitch fish turns towards the bait, second twitch it explodes on the bait has been my experience with all the ones I've caught. Never tried cut bait or live bait for them only sight fishing with lures.

Lindseys Grandpa

Caught a bunch on cut bait in Chatt river near Brush creek. My cousin bought the first Shad Rap I ever saw . Made one throw in Glovers creek caught one about 7-8 lbs. That was all she wrote for that lure, boy was he mad. They will flat destroy a balsa wood lure.

StriperrHunterr

Thanks guys. I would imagine Lanier isn't the best place for them, but I have heard of the odd one being caught now and again. As I recall a couple years ago a member here took his kayak out in the morning before work, in his khakis, and caught one that forced him to go home and change before heading into the office. I'll keep an eye out for those kinds of environments on the lake. Thanks again.

TripleXBullies

I've caught one before in the lily pad pond in Paulding county on a spinner bait. Only one I've ever seen in the wild. Decent fight.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Nice video. Lake Eufaula...U/L rod and reel 4lb Trilene, #6 hook and a cricket while bream fishing...heck of a fight

Attachments

• bowfin3.jpg
    bowfin3.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 167