**** General Weather Discussion Thread #8 2017***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nic, if that is a pic of you, I hope you have that framed on a wall. Great pic.

Yep, that`s me.

You gotta be a little crazy to fool with power lines period if you ask me! I'm a 23 year firefighter/paramedic and have taken more than my fair share of chances and been in some hairy situations for sure. But, for some reason electricity and power lines spook me! We were on a call one night during a severe storm when a tree came down on a main line on a major highway through town about 200-300 feet or so below our engine checking on a car off the road. The light put off by that thing and mostly the deafening buzzing burning sound was nothing short of terrifying! It went from pitch black to daylight instantly! I swear you could feel it in the air it seemed. I was about 50ft from the truck when it happened and I promise you my feet didn't touch the ground but maybe 3 times and my rear end was in the cab! Seems I remember Newnan Utilities saying it was a 100,000v transmission or main line??? I don't know what all that means, I just know it was mean!!! I'll never forget that.

My hats of to any and all who do or have done it. Its a thankless job that is 99.9 percent of the time taken for granted.

It was probably one of out 115,000 volt lines. About the only times I worked distribution, which is either 12,470 or 25,000 volts, is when we were on storm duty. This is the voltage that is goes to the transformers that feed homes and businesses. My main work was on the transmission lines that feed substations for cities, towns and some large factories. That voltage is 46,000, 69,000, 115,000, 230,000, and 500,000 volts. I was a barehand lineman. It paid more and we actually got on the energized wires to work. I can`t describe the feeling when your energized on a half million volt line.

I could tell you some stories....

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Yep, that`s me.

It was probably one of out 115,000 volt lines. About the only times I worked distribution, which is either 12,470 or 25,000 volts, is when we were on storm duty. This is the voltage that is goes to the transformers that feed homes and businesses. My main work was on the transmission lines that feed substations for cities, towns and some large factories. That voltage is 46,000, 69,000, 115,000, 230,000, and 500,000 volts. I was a barehand lineman. It paid more and we actually got on the energized wires to work. I can`t describe the feeling when your energized on a half million volt line.

I could tell you some stories....

Seen a video of a dude being dropped off to work on a line by helicopter... :eek::eek:

RinggoldGa

She lives in Athens and is from Maryland. There's no doubt in my mind that she has an entitlement mentality and thinks Communism is da bomb.

It's my favorite town in the world, but Athens-Clarke County is the most left leaning, entitled, what can my government do for me/give me location in the entire state.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
It's my favorite town in the world, but Athens-Clarke County is the most left leaning, entitled, what can my government do for me/give me location in the entire state.

Well, it is a Tier 1 county afterall. They are almost exclusively Liberal, though they have a healthy population of upper class that live in satellite locations within them, they are out numbered when it comes to the voting booth.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Seen a video of a dude being dropped off to work on a line by helicopter... :eek::eek:

Ga Power hires Haverfield Helicopters from time to time and we would work with them. I worked off a helicopter once, but it weren`t for me. I`d rather climb, or be pulled up to the the phases by a clean poly rope.

Dirtroad Johnson

I was up in your state in February 1996 during that ice storm. I always liked to climb, but not on an ice covered pole like this one. You got to be a little crazy. :crazy:

No way to get a bucket truck in there where they sent me.

That's a good picture Nic, I met some folks from Cobb EMC yesterday out here assisting Irwin EMC. They told me they left up there at 4am & got down here around 9am, our power was restored around 3:15 pm. We are thankful.
One of my best friends worked for Irwin EMC 42 years & was still employed when he got diagnosed with cancer this past year, he passed away last November just a couple weeks shy of his 60th birthday. All thru the years when I would see the EMC trucks out working I would always slow down & see if it was him & his crew. He was the leader on his crew. I think of him every time I see an EMC truck no matter the location. He told me a long time ago how some folks just don't understand, he said he has folks raising heck about there power being off & his own wife & kids were at home without power.

RinggoldGa

Well, it is a Tier 1 county afterall. They are almost exclusively Liberal, though they have a healthy population of upper class that live in satellite locations within them, they are out numbered when it comes to the voting booth.

Most of those upper class conservative types have moved out to Oconee County.

creekrunner

We got power back on in north central Coffee County this morning at 6:20 a.m., lost power Monday morning about 8:30 when it was rocking. Lost cell service until Wednesday morning. We had trees down everywhere and looks like a tornado went thru the hunting club barely missing the cabin. There's a line of downed trees about 1/8 of a mile and goes right by the cabin.
No structural damage, but a lot of mess and will have a lot of firewood.
Thankful for the cool temps, made for a nice camping weather. Between the little Blackstone, my camp stove, and grill, we didn't lose any weight.
We had crew from Maryland working with Ga power that came in around lunch Wednesday and got started and got us back on this morning. Nothing but respect for those guys

Greene728

Ga Power hires Haverfield Helicopters from time to time and we would work with them. I worked off a helicopter once, but it weren`t for me. I`d rather climb, or be pulled up to the the phases by a clean poly rope.

My FIL is at North GA Hydro Group. Y'all ever seen those helicopters with the huge limb saws hanging under them they use to trim the right of ways up in the mountains where the terrain is inaccessible by tractors and such? Now those pilots are certifiable looney!!! :eek:

My FIL is at North GA Hydro Group. Y'all ever seen those helicopters with the huge limb saws hanging under them they use to trim the right of ways up in the mountains where the terrain is inaccessible by tractors and such? Now those pilots are certifiable looney!!! :eek:

They use them on the federal site I work at very neat to watch.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Well, if y'all didn't like that 06z run of the GFS you REALLY won't like the 18z. I won't keep posting the updates, but will check back on this in a few days to hopefully see that it has gone away. :banginghe:banginghe

In the mean time, if your post Irma assessment found you lacking a few items in your preparedness, now might be a good time to correct those errors.

<p>via GIPHY</p>

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Well, if y'all didn't like that 06z run of the GFS you REALLY won't like the 18z. I won't keep posting the updates, but will check back on this in a few days to hopefully see that it has gone away. :banginghe:banginghe

In the mean time, if your post Irma assessment found you lacking a few items in your preparedness, now might be a good time to correct those errors.

<p>via GIPHY</p>

Oh well. I reckon that`s part of the price you pay to live in the heart of God`s Country.

sinclair1

Made it to Hancock, electricity is on but the water is out until the pump house gets power. It's ugly but nothing hit the house and some stranger I don't know had most of the large trees cut and stacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.