Elk huntin

Budda

If you could book a Elk hunt with any outfitter, who would you go wit? Outfitter I been huntin with has definitely went downhill.

QuackAddict

Avalanche Outfitters

I have elk hunted with Avalanche Outfitters since 2004 and have done a self guided drop camp every time. I have been fortunate to have killed 6 bulls in 12 hunts and at least person in our group has taken an elk every year. It is incredible country and not only has big elk but some big mule deer as well. They always have great setups for their camps that are close to good water.

I skipped last year for the birth of my daughter and was truly blessed this year after shooting my biggest bull yet with a muzzleloader on opening morning. He is a 7x6 and scored 342".

I've hunted quite a few of their camps so if you end up going let me know and I will give you some intel on where to find the elk.

Attachments

• IMG_0382.jpg
    IMG_0382.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 1,093
Last edited:

mr otter

If I were booking a hunt I would probably go with an outfitter in New Mexico, and preferrably on private land

Those hunts are nice but non residents on private land will be spending upwards of $8000 for tag and trespass fees. Avalanche outfitters starts drop camps at $1800 a week

TAP

For you guys hunting with Avalanche, how hard is it to get non-resident tags? How many points did you have to get a draw for Unit 43.

I have a summer home 15 miles away from redstone and have been thinking about a fall trip for elk/deer in the next couple of years. I know the redstone/marble/crystal river area fairly well. I'll reach out to Josh next summer but was just curious about the tag availability for out of state.

mr otter

For you guys hunting with Avalanche, how hard is it to get non-resident tags? How many points did you have to get a draw for Unit 43.

I have a summer home 15 miles away from redstone and have been thinking about a fall trip for elk/deer in the next couple of years. I know the redstone/marble/crystal river area fairly well. I'll reach out to Josh next summer but was just curious about the tag availability for out of state.
Archery season and 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons are over the counter for bull elk and bear. Mule deer take 1-2 preference points to draw.

QuackAddict

I sent you a PM with my contact info. Give me a call and I will tell you everything I know about Avalanche Outfitters and the my experience with hunting 43.

zedex

Gator Bait
Some friends and I go to the mainland to hunt elk. Who to guide is a matter of where you are going. Idaho has a great elk hunt and plenty of them. No guide needed, just some homework

Budda

Some friends and I go to the mainland to hunt elk. Who to guide is a matter of where you are going. Idaho has a great elk hunt and plenty of them. No guide needed, just some homework

thats where we usually go

95g atl

Following.................
my dream of heading back out west and looking for elk has been delayed for awhile.

plumber_1969

My wife threw our applications in for a cow elk hunt on the Inn of the Mountain Gods so we should know something in the next few weeks, if not drawn, off to Colorado again to stomp the Rocky's again. I think she is trying to tell me something about sleeping in a tent when its in the 20's at night?

Budda

Putting in fer Idaho again. Not in time to put in fer others.