Fall Georgia Turkey Season

HermanMerman

Can someone provide context as to why we don’t have a fall turkey season?

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Folks in the south would shoot them over corn.
They do in the spring. Lols ;)

HermanMerman

Great info, and thank you. It mentions that there are either sex seasons in other states, and that males are tough to differentiate from hens during the fall. What if we had a male only season, and there was a beard length requirement, much like there is an antler spread requirement in some of our counties, as well as our four on one side requirement for one of our buck tags?

Perhaps we could also extend our three gobbler per spring season limit to the entire calendar year. Or, perhaps you are allotted one gobbler per fall, and it applies to your limit for the next spring. The last suggestion would be difficult to administer for the following fall/ spring, but just thoughts off the top of my head.

Katalee

You would have to close deer hunting. Turkey do see color and that would not work during deer season ( safety orange ) . But I would not mind it. Never hunted Turkey in the fall.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Alabama has a fall season and things are working just fine for them. Strong Turkey population around my dads place just south of I 20

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Why do you feel the need to shoot a gobbler in the fall.

Because it has a long tradition dating back from a time past. Most here are too young to remember or it was before their time. And truth be known, it is harder to call up and kill a mature gobbler in the fall than it is in the spring.

Covehnter

Alabama has a fall season and things are working just fine for them. Strong Turkey population around my dads place just south of I 20

Things are working as "fine" in Alabama as they are in Georgia. There are questions as to the stability of the flock. As a matter of fact, changes have been made to a half dozen WMAs in Alabama (delayed opener) in an effort to observe the impacts. Most think that things are not "fine." I'm somewhere in the middle on whether there is an issue.

fredw

Retired Moderator
I thought Alabama's fall season was restricted to six counties. If so, and if fall hunting is a good thing, why restrict it?

lampern

Alabama's season is also gobblers only.

A few years ago the dnr there closed it but hunters were upset and it was reinstated or something like that.

The fall birds also count towards your spring limit iirc

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Things are working as "fine" in Alabama as they are in Georgia. There are questions as to the stability of the flock. As a matter of fact, changes have been made to a half dozen WMAs in Alabama (delayed opener) in an effort to observe the impacts. Most think that things are not "fine." I'm somewhere in the middle on whether there is an issue.
All the hunters I am in contact with over there have no issues with the fall season and say the population of birds in their area is strong. Thats all I know.
I thought Alabama's fall season was restricted to six counties. If so, and if fall hunting is a good thing, why restrict it?
Game laws are different from state to state.... If you want to question the Alabama game laws contact the Bama game and fish department.

fredw

Retired Moderator
All the hunters I am in contact with over there have no issues with the fall season and say the population of birds in their area is strong. Thats all I know.

Game laws are different from state to state.... If you want to question the Alabama game laws contact the Bama game and fish department.

Lol. You were the one using Alabama as an example.

Covehnter

And if I were a part of the polling I would say the same thing about both Alabama and Georgia. But I would whisper it, because I want the states to be actively working toward understanding and improving wild turkey numbers. I'm afraid if the population is perceived as being stable the money/ research may go elsewhere. :D

Melvin4730

They gobble in the Spring. For the most part, they don’t in the fall. Why would you want to hunt turkey during a time they don’t typically gobble? Spring season is plenty in Georgia.

QuackAttack101

They gobble in the Spring. For the most part, they don’t in the fall. Why would you want to hunt turkey during a time they don’t typically gobble? Spring season is plenty in Georgia.

Couldn't agree more. Hunting a turkey outside of the spring time is about like catching a 10lb bass that plays dead and doesn't fight. You're missing out on the true fun of the sport.

In states where it's legal, to each his own. Just glad it's not legal here in GA when there are tens of thousands of folks in a tree that would be glad to blast a turkey when the deer movement is slow.

jakebuddy

Number of hunters in the woods is greater during deer season than turkey season and unless you closed deer season which won't happen, a turkey would be an incidental harvest which would increase the yearly turkey harvest exponentially.

saltysenior

seems to me the whole deal with turkey hunting is calling in a bird.....this can be done successfully while just carrying a camera.....also a lot of land w/ a lot of turkeys is available year round if you don't carry a firearm...

Latest posts