Lake Lanier - Please help me find my stolen boat!!!

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Yep the good guys still outnumber the bad guys. That is hard to tell sometimes, especially when you have just dealt with a bad guy.

Glad you got your boat back, sorry about the damages. Drop back by and visit with us any time.

stratos201

Ok.... Now that the boat is back.... where are the pictures of skiing in your wedding dress!??? Too funny! ! Glad you got it back! I have a place on Sinclair and you just made me think about buying a chain and lock before I find myself in the same boat. HA !

PappyHoel

Glad you found it and hope the culprit gets justice served. This forum is awesome!

Rabun

I read this as soon as I woke up and of course just went to squirrel creek in the dark but your friend was right—its THERE!! Holy cow, I owe you a reward—please PM me so I can get in touch, this is the best morning of my life, even if it’s trashed (they ripped the speakers out, stole the stereo and all our neoprene suits and even ripped the front light off...) it’s HERE. I knew they couldn’t get far with it but it’s so hard to look without another boat. The people on this thread are AMAZING!

That's outstanding! Glad you got it back, but sorry for the damage. Great job networking everyone and rising to the call for help! Now to catch the dirt bags! Couple hours staked over a fire ant mound should do it...a little southern justice.

How about those wedding dress ski pics...

As promised! and I also promise to not CensoredCensoredCensoredCensored you guys off skiing out there this summer; you all are AMAZING!

Law enforcement did nothing; didn’t figure they would, but I will be pulling it out tomorrow till the new dock (with lifts and locks) is in place. Seriously cannot say THANK YOU enough! Anyone up in wahoo during the day tomorrow?! I’ll bring brewskies (and a lil’ liquid apple pie) down, best time to celebrate is when I don’t have to watch the kiddos on the party dock! I’m serious to anyone that wants to grab a few tomorrow, I’m buyin’!!

Attachments

• E9357F77-71D3-481A-B86F-78AD2D4BADE7.jpg
    E9357F77-71D3-481A-B86F-78AD2D4BADE7.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 346
Getting your boat back is reward enough. Join the Lake Lanier Boaters Group on Facebook. The members there are responsible for locating your boat.

I will be fishing on Lanier in the next couple of weeks. If I see your boat, I'll stop and say hi.

Please do! Would love to compensate you for going above and beyond!! Send me a PM on the days you end up on the water!

Jack Ryan

I know this wouldn't help if you aren't home but if you live close... https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...ection&utm_campaign=Ironton&utm_content=43832

Put the motion detector in the bottom of something for bait and lay it in the driver seat or something "too good" to pass up. Then when they pick it up the alarm in the house will ring but it won't be ringing all night with the boat rocking or things moving around the boat.

natureman

This boat obviously means a lot to you. Suggest investing in a GPS tracking device that you can hide on the boat and you can track it from your phone. Much cheaper than insurance.

We are definitely reevaluating both our security and tracking after this—because we moved to Georgia simply to live on the lake and I don’t want this incident to make us scared to use the dock permit we worked so hard for (by keeping it out of the water), but we’re definitely going to research/invest in both security and tracking before leaving the boat in anymore. Such a shame when you realize there are no “good” neighborhoods anymore... can’t be naive in this day and age.

PappyHoel

We are definitely reevaluating both our security and tracking after this—because we moved to Georgia simply to live on the lake and I don’t want this incident to make us scared to use the dock permit we worked so hard for (by keeping it out of the water), but we’re definitely going to research/invest in both security and tracking before leaving the boat in anymore. Such a shame when you realize there are no “good” neighborhoods anymore... can’t be naive in this day and age.

Are you within wifi range of your house? If so, you can get good cameras for a nominal price.

rospaw

Ski, What i did on our dock at Lanier was to put a drop down pipe on each of the 2 slips. The pipes would meet in the middle where i used a heavy padlock. The pipes were not real thick and were a little bit of a pain but gave a real secure look from any boats/folks passing by. When they are not in use they would set in a "cradle" mounted to the dock frame, out of the way.
The fake cameras with a red led, little antenna that runs off 2 9v batteries, look wireless, mounted up on shore pointing at the dock is a GREAT cheap deterrent. Always did like seeing the little red led's lit when pulling in after dark. :rolleyes:
Heck i bet a old trail cam or two, working or not with a mocked up antenna would do well.
Mount them as high as you can ....15-20'

natureman

I use the Blink camera system at my home. Use of this system in your application would be dependent on how far your dock is from your house receiver. But definitely worth a look since it is a non-subscription system with cell phone alerts, motion detection and cloud storage for a short duration. I believe the Corps of Engineers now allows cameras on docks.

Last edited:

Browniez

Superglue a "Tile" under the drybox lid or under the dash.

About 30 bucks at best buy. They are in all my stuff.

Had a friend get a ton of gear stolen last year. I had told him of this "Tile" and he invested in a few.

We watched the "gentleman" moving around the map around 10 miles from us. He arrived with with the police and retrieved his gear about 20 minutes after the dot stopped moving.

They some angry musicians in Houston did this after the police wouldn't investigate. Ended up blowing the top off a warehouse with a few million dollars worth of stolen electronics.

Funny what they won't investigate. Makes you wonder why?

They sure as heck like to cause wrecks running radar at 730 am in the morning on foggy days at exit 12 though. More "profitable".

I was raised in a house with the utmost respect for the law, and alot of municipality and county officers have made it REALLY hard to respect them with the actions they have taken in certain situations.

I WILL say I have NEVER interacted with a state trooper who did not uphold his office with the highest levels of conduct and respect. That goes for DNR as well.

Coenen

Love the "Tile" idea! Been trying to figure out something like that for my Kayak. Remember that they do have a shelf life though, and need to be tested/replaced every so often.

Same on the thing with local police. I know that not every crime is going to get the full (or any) CSI treatment, but at least make me feel like you're putting some effort in to catching the bad guy. Especially when it's something like this, where it's happened several times recently. Take that quarter million dollar police boat out to Wahoo Creek a couple nights a week, and at least be seen.

I've never really had a "bad" interaction with an LEO, they've all been professional, and some were down right nice. Stuff like this just galls me, though.

StriperrHunterr

Love the "Tile" idea! Been trying to figure out something like that for my Kayak. Remember that they do have a shelf life though, and need to be tested/replaced every so often.

Same on the thing with local police. I know that not every crime is going to get the full (or any) CSI treatment, but at least make me feel like you're putting some effort in to catching the bad guy. Especially when it's something like this, where it's happened several times recently. Take that quarter million dollar police boat out to Wahoo Creek a couple nights a week, and at least be seen.

I've never really had a "bad" interaction with an LEO, they've all been professional, and some were down right nice. Stuff like this just galls me, though.

I had a car broken into at Fort Bragg a number of years ago and it absolutely shocked me how they handled it. I got a letter in the mail 3 days later saying that the case had been marked for closure. Given that the quickest I've ever gotten a letter in the mail was 3 days it makes me think they came, took my report, and then wrote and mailed that letter on the same day. :banginghe