Never Underestimate the Value of a Flat Tail Worm

olcaptain

Never Underestimate the Value of a Flat Tail Worm

Incredible. December 1st here on Lake Sinclair and almost 70 degrees. No wind in sight and temperatures were pushing 60 by 8:00AM. It wasn’t a matter of were we going fishing. We both knew under these conditions, we had to go!

I had several goals this morning as we embarked (I love using that word) on today’s adventure. My first main goal was to try out my newly installed Ol’ Captain’s version of the “Anchor Trolley.”

gTkK13V.jpg

AmwOPCm.jpg

GsmZCky.jpg

My second goal was to research the value of a Flat Tail Worm as it relates to catching a Catfish near the Crooked Creek Bridge.

h4rTFGf.jpg

s6D1DiN.jpg

As we crossed the lake on our way to the bridge my mind began to wander. My arms make weaken at times but I never grow tired of the scenery on the way from our dock to the bridge…..

v7jxSUw.jpg

KwHucAZ.jpg

ZFPTQQT.jpg

About half way over I asked my partner for a little help but rather than dog paddle, he decided to go below.

oLtGhx4.jpg

Before I get off track I want to go back to the Anchor Trolley. It is designed so that the “O” ring can slide easily to bow or stern. You can wrap your anchor rope around something buoyant then let your anchor out. Once it is out you secure the rope to the float and snap it into the “O” ring. Then, without getting up, you can move your anchor rope in either direction! In 25 or more feet of water this method may prove to keep a dog as well as a Medicare Card bone dry!

Now for the Flat Tails. A proprietor of one of the local Bait Shops has been talking up these worms for some time now. I had a bit of leftover shrimp from another voyage, so I added a Cup of the Magic worms to my fishing quiver this morning. Now folks, if you don’t like dirty hands or a bit of worm dirt in your boat, this bait isn’t for you. As far as that goes, you might not even like dealing with the leftover Shrimp.

Ff36WaI.jpg

sz4U90l.jpg

pNUIp4f.jpg

Well all I know is that the proof is always in the puddin’. The Anchor Trolley worked great and Max and I had our best day ever at the Crooked Creek Bridge!!

KoSnnZM.jpg

5AghOqQ.jpg

ZAPSvex.jpg

j79n3Fv.jpg

PmdhGfj.jpg

Our life lesson for today is this: Never Underestimate the Value of a Flat Tail Worm!

NMyWOMv.jpg

Poo Bear

Hey Cap., great catch and a cute little dachshund. Do you eat those cats and if so how do you prefer to prepare and cook them? I caught one yesterday and I am pondering ways to cook it.

olcaptain

Hey Cap., great catch and a cute little dachshund. Do you eat those cats and if so how do you prefer to prepare and cook them? I caught one yesterday and I am pondering ways to cook it.

I usually clean them and share them with some of our church folks who can't fish. When we do eat them, we fry them.

Bream Pole

Capt'n great post and beautiful cats.

Trying to understand what you are saying about anchor. I have an anchor trolley on all my boats --2 jons and a kayak. Trolley itself appears to be rigged same as yours, but I simply keep my anchor inside by me attached to rope. The anchor rope runs through the circle and its end is attached to the boat. I have it where I can drop the anchor over the side and let out what I want of rope and then tie it off and pull the trolley so anchor is as if tied to bow or stern of boat. Not sure what the floats are for?

olcaptain

Capt'n great post and beautiful cats.

Trying to understand what you are saying about anchor. I have an anchor trolley on all my boats --2 jons and a kayak. Trolley itself appears to be rigged same as yours, but I simply keep my anchor inside by me attached to rope. The anchor rope runs through the circle and its end is attached to the boat. I have it where I can drop the anchor over the side and let out what I want of rope and then tie it off and pull the trolley so anchor is as if tied to bow or stern of boat. Not sure what the floats are for?

It's new to me but there are several reasons to do it this way:

Keeps the rope from being in the way

Gives you a quick release in case you have a problem or hang a big fish.

If you need to go quickly to help someone you can unclip and come right back to the same spot because it will all be floating. This video is one of zillions on Youtube:

NugeForPres

Good stuff as always, Cap. A fine catch and an excellent story to go along with it. I love seeing the Lake, as it brings back childhood memories.

ugajay

Now that's a good mess of fish! And as always a fine read. I look forward to every post you make. I ha a place just up from that bridge. Do you get your bait from Terry's?

olcaptain

Now that's a good mess of fish! And as always a fine read. I look forward to every post you make. I ha a place just up from that bridge. Do you get your bait from Terry's?

Yes indeed. We live off of Old Copeland.

ugajay

Our place is about 5 houses before you get to the bridge on crooked Creek road. We need to meet up sometime!

SlowMotion

Nice catch Captain.

whchunter

Cats

How long will cats bite in cold weather and do they go deep in cold weather?

olcaptain

How long will cats bite in cold weather and do they go deep in cold weather?

I wish I could help but this will be my first winter targeting them. See the "Search" option and mention Catfish and look at the dates of the posts. This may help.

Teh Wicked

I want to catch a blue cat so dang bad...And a Flathead for that matter

61BelAir

I want to catch a blue cat so dang bad...And a Flathead for that matter

Just come to Sinclair and fish some lights at night with your bass gear. You're very likely to catch a decent one every few trips. I've caught 3 on rubber worms that were all around 8 pounds in the last couple months.
Seriously though bring worms, livers, shrimp, or cut some bait and you can't go wrong. I mostly see people targeting them on Sinclair just below Wallace Dam/Lake Oconee.

Horace, thanks for posting the video and the explanation on anchoring that way. I've known about the anchor trolley for a couple years, but that looks like it's just as important.

Teh Wicked

I mostly see people targeting them on Sinclair just below Wallace Dam/Lake Oconee.

Oconee is actually closer to me, If I get a day after this weekend I might give it a try and see if I can catch something on Oconee somewhere. I want to see how different the species is between a channel, blue and flathead. I caught a 26" Channel cat earlier this year that his my blue back herring like a locomotive.

Redlands Boat ramp is about 1hr 20min away from me.

61BelAir

Oconee is actually closer to me, If I get a day after this weekend I might give it a try and see if I can catch something on Oconee somewhere. I want to see how different the species is between a channel, blue and flathead. I caught a 26" Channel cat earlier this year that his my blue back herring like a locomotive.

Redlands Boat ramp is about 1hr 20min away from me.

I've only been on Lake Oconee once. If you're going in a boat be careful as there is a lot of standing timber in the lake. Some of it is marked....a lot is not. The ones you can see are easy, but there is a lot that peaks a few feet under the surface. Not knowing the lake was a little nerve racking for me when I was on it. If you're on your kayak....no worries.