now this is letting the punishment fit the crime!

dtala

ya'll left out the part where he has to stay in jail every weekend during the deer season for the next five years.

He shot a deer with a gun in a bow only county, out of season, from a vehicle on the road, w/o a license, on property he didn't have permission to hunt on.

Got what the CensoredCensoredCensored deserved as far as I'm concerned.

six

There is more time & money invested in a high B&C score buck. Plus there is a better chance that a big buck's genes will make more high scoring babies. Customers don't want to hunt small deer.

I guess that's what the Judge took into consideration. I still don't follow the logic though. Like two car thieves. One steals a Chevette and one a Corvette. Does the thief that stole the Corvette get a bigger fine and longer sentence? Seriously, I don't know. I didn't know the value came into play. I'm not trying to defend the poacher by any means.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
You could drive drunk and kill a person in Texas and pay less of a fine than shooting a deer illegally. Does this seem right?

Killdee

I didn’t read the story but remember the guy who shot that 200” deer here a few years ago that was a 20k deer his boss I think had to pay. I think some one told me where he hunted in Texas above 130”s was 100$ an inch. He may have had to pay replacement costs. I wish we had higher fines and jail for this stuff. I like the stay in jail during season for the course of the probation.

T-N-T

You could drive drunk and kill a person in Texas and pay less of a fine than shooting a deer illegally. Does this seem right?

It does me.
Deer are not worth $18,000. Any of them.

Now with that said, I'm sure it's common knowledge that big deer cost you big dollars in Texas. He should have been slicker with his poaching and not too braggy with his pics. If I committed an $18,xxx crime, I'd be tight lipped about it.

After all, everything is bugger in Texas ain't it?

humdandy

Banned
A Majestic Mountain buck in Georgia would be worth 1.2 million! The BC multiplied by the elevation above sea level.......of course you guys knew this already.....

Consider himself lucky!!
:rofl:

Last edited:

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.

Nope. Just ask the people whose loved one was killed by a drunk driver. Not by any means right.

saltysenior

maybe the court found out his financial standing ??? I don't believe a judge w/ any common sense would level a fine that high on a person that had no way of paying that amount .....

Lukikus2

ya'll left out the part where he has to stay in jail every weekend during the deer season for the next five years.

He shot a deer with a gun in a bow only county, out of season, from a vehicle on the road, w/o a license, on property he didn't have permission to hunt on.

Got what the censoredcensoredcensored deserved as far as i'm concerned.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
maybe the court found out his financial standing ??? I don't believe a judge w/ any common sense would level a fine that high on a person that had no way of paying that amount .....

The gooberment don't care what your financial standing is or should be. How do you think they come up with amounts in civil suits of 1 million or higher levied against someone who makes minimum wage? Happens every day

Back40hunter

Maybe Texas just needs to re-evaluate their fines for these other offenses. I think the 18k fine is legit. One thing is for sure, the poacher had full "intent" to commit his crime. You can't accidentally shoot a deer on private property in an archery only county using a firearm. Heard a warden explain it that way to a bunch of high school kids one time. Made a lot of sense when you think about the intentionality of the crime.

I think the only way to stop bad behavior is to make it hurt. You Always need to hunt according to the rules. Years ago, I got fined $400 for hunting over bait that was 50 yds away out of sight but not 70. I've never hunted that close to corn again because a $8 bag of corn turned into $400. I don't know what they would've fined me if I killed a deer but Money Talks

The mtn man

Fine was excessive, I doubt if someone shot a farmer's goat the fine would be that stiff, although I believe poaching should be punishable, it seems some hold deer at a higher value than any other animal, I love to deer hunt, and am against poaching, but a blackangus is worth more than a deer.

saltysenior

Fine was excessive, I doubt if someone shot a farmer's goat the fine would be that stiff, although I believe poaching should be punishable, it seems some hold deer at a higher value than any other animal, I love to deer hunt, and am against poaching, but a blackangus is worth more than a deer.

it was a $100 fine for each charge against you if you were caught poaching a deer in N.J. back in the 50's....I remember the older boys in town talking about poaching Angus heifers off a gentleman's farm because the fine would be less...