Woodcock

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
about 20 years ago I was standing beside a swamp in lamar county right at sundown. The woodcock POURED into that place like they were returning to the mothership. really cool to watch. some flew right over my head.

really want to hunt them some day.

Last edited:

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Today in the rivercane. 5 birds, 10 flushes, 4 collected. The fourth fell out of Floyd's vest when he shucked layers. Jeff's Uggie 20 and My 16 Brun-Latrige. Floyd's gun was shy, but his glove signifies the missing wc.

mlandrum

Yesterday Drake flushed a herd of wild hogs and he brought this one out and #8's nailed him- Bar B Q for the Georgia game Monday?

Attachments

• IMG_0154.jpg
    IMG_0154.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 353

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Yesterday Drake flushed a herd of wild hogs and he brought this one out and #8's nailed him- Bar B Q for the Georgia game Monday��

The look on his face :rofl:

"That was a BIG one-my buddies ain't gonna believe this"

GLS

Mike, that's good they are showing up down south. Is the wound on Drake's left front leg the same one he had last year? Gil

mlandrum

Yes Gil, Nothing seems to work, we`very tried steroids salves. Turpentine. Ointments. And IT WILL NOT GO AWAY? EVEN put a collar but in three days hee chewed it offfacepalm:

GLS

We found 4-5 birds with a half dozen flushes. Sometimes it's hard to tell if it is a previously flushed bird or a new one. Ben did good with his 28 ga. Moracchi O/U. Birds were in some difficult spots. Abby and Willa led the way.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Looks like y’all are having a great time and nice eating size pig , I’ve hunted most everything that can be hunted since I was old enough to shoot a gun and have a question for u woodcock hunters, is a snipe and a woodcock the same bird !

mlandrum

NO, a snipe is the size of a dove And flies like a boomerang if you stand still And love puddles of water in a field or any other open space. google their pictures and you can easily see the difference. A wood cock is bigger and loves any place they can sink their beak in and suck up a worm. When flushed they make different sounds on the flush?

GLS

Here's a Wilson snipe or "snipe". It's the smallest game bird, about 2/3rds size of a dove with both dressed out. Very sporty and great to eat. They flock up in groups and are in open wet fields with standing water. Gil
one_snipe_ithaca_28.jpg

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Thanks guys , I was just wondering because I have a place I deer hunt that has a big lake , maybe 20 acres , with fairly thick grass around it and I can walk around it and literally flush a few dozen of what I call snipe , could they be woodcock ? I don’t think they are any bigger than a dove and flush like a quail ! Troup co.

GLS

Those are snipe. You won't find woodcock in that habitat nor will you flush that many in a small place in Georgia. Gil

GLS

Pop and Sadie. Or is it Sadie and Pop? The nose knows.

You couldn’t ask for a better premonition of things to come this morning. Just before turning off the pavement on to the property, we saw a woodcock standing on the fog line, head bobbing back and forth. Little did we know he was the early warning system. We only found one bird, but lots of splash. This cold weather has them on the run. Gil

GLS

Mike, the snow dog cometh! Good to see you had success.
More from the sunny south: I had another work "snow" day yesterday so what's a fella to do? I met up with a buddy for an afternoon woods walk under conditions that gave me concern about finding birds. I had to four wheel it through the snow from my house to the main highway to the hunt site. Surprisingly we found 6 birds; unsurprisingly they were in tough spots to shoot, but Abby and Willa found them. It was sporty shooting. 20 ga. Darne R-10. Gil