Exhaust sound/tune?

1gr8bldr

Can the sound or tune of an exhaust be changed or manipulated to sound different, this specifically on a diesel. My 2500 GMC Duramax had an Elk whine sound from the turbo. I changed out the stock exhaust and it sounds better, your able to hear the motor sounding more like a mean 350 gas however it has a strong constant whish, coming from the tail pipe. I think alot of diesel owners like this air turbine sound as if it's cool but I had rather hear the motor rather than this. Is there a way to manipulate the sound by the tips of the exhaust?

transfixer

What year model is it ? and did you straight pipe it ? or the aftermarket exhaust also use a muffler ?

GoldDot40

They sell tips that are designed to 'tune' the sound, but I've never been a fan of them. You can add a straight-thru resonator or glass pack to help tame some of what you're hearing. They aren't very restrictive.

1gr8bldr

What year model is it ? and did you straight pipe it ? or the aftermarket exhaust also use a muffler ?
2015. My def system would no longer communicate with my computer. It was going to cost 3x as much to fix it as it would to delete it. So it is straight piped. I'm said to get 5 more MPG but I'll believe it when I see it. However that race mode is something else. I plan to run it on economy mode.

1gr8bldr

They sell tips that are designed to 'tune' the sound, but I've never been a fan of them. You can add a straight-thru resonator or glass pack to help tame some of what you're hearing. They aren't very restrictive.
Should I google exhaust tune tips?

1gr8bldr

Should I google diesel exhaust tune tips? Edit, found nothing

1gr8bldr

I don't think the tips are going to change the sound to speak of, you're probably going to have to put a performance muffler/resonator back on it. You can google performance muffler/ resonator for duramax , I found these here

https://www.xtremediesel.com/mufflersandresonators-2.aspx
So that would remove the whiiiissss sound? The motor sounds surprising good, but the continuing whiiiiissssssss takes away from it

WayneB

it depends on the programmer.
It was a fad a couple years ago to have the whistle, now the lopey exhaust sound is coming back.
Check to see if your programmer has any firmware updates available.

transfixer

So that would remove the whiiiissss sound? The motor sounds surprising good, but the continuing whiiiiissssssss takes away from it

A muffler will change the tone, as WayneB mentioned it some of it might be due to the program in it? Some of it may be inherent to the Duramax , not sure.

I've got an older 99 F350 with straight pipe exhaust and I don't get any whistle, you can hear a slight lope to mine.

T-N-T

It's a lack of anything in your exhaust

A down pipe (very much like a cat. Converter) is the first line of sound reduction. Then there muffler. And other things depending on year and make.

Mine was all gutted but the down pipe and no whistle. Then cleared out down pipe, whistle showed up.
Mine is a ram though.

You need to search diesel forums. A muffler will help.

T-N-T

It's a lack of anything in your exhaust

A down pipe (very much like a cat. Converter) is the first line of sound reduction. Then there muffler. And other things depending on year and make.

Mine was all gutted but the down pipe and no whistle. Then cleared out down pipe, whistle showed up.
Mine is a ram though.

You need to search diesel forums. A muffler will help.

T-N-T

Oh, and your mileage should show great improvement

3ringer

You will get plenty of answers if you join the Duramax forum on FB. There is a Sierra forum and LLM group too.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Turbo whistle is what a turbo does. A quality muffler will take most of it out.

On a diesel I want to hear the turbo, cause that's what it's all about. I don't want my diesel sounding like a gas burner, no do I want my gas burner to sound like a diesel.

1gr8bldr

I'm clearly getting over 5 MPG more around town. I expect road trips to be much higher. Super happy with this. An 8000 lb truck that I use to pull trailers, tagged for 25,800 lbs getting over 18 MPG around town, :yeah: And did I say, POWER..... Not much on the road that can hang 0 to 60.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Turbo whistle is what a turbo does. A quality muffler will take most of it out.

On a diesel I want to hear the turbo, cause that's what it's all about. I don't want my diesel sounding like a gas burner, no do I want my gas burner to sound like a diesel.

This.

I'd dump that Duramax and get a Cummins Ram.

My Cummins 3500 sounds so good I'd rather listen to it than the radio.

I've also got a '97 Powerstroke F350. That thing sounds so good your ears will smile.

Both are stock.