Pets At Hunting Camp

gp6191

I am a Club President and have some folks extremely against this. Bringing your pet to camp is not an issue with me! Comments please....

Mexican Squealer

As long as the pet behaves itself, wouldn't bother me. With that said, nothing worse than being on a dove field or in a blind listening to someone yell at their dog all day.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Sounds like some members we’ve all dealt with , cry about everything , my dog goes with me to my hunting camp every weekend , and she enjoys it as much as me , I’d laugh in there face ! What’s there reason ?

Mako22

BANNED
Several in our camp bring their dogs and its never been an issue. Id bet good money that anyone annoyed by the thought of pets in camp will also be a pain in the rear on other issues as well. Id dump the anti-pet members and move on.

GAGE

GONetwork Member
Id dump the anti-pet members and move on.
Me too, first it is pets and then it will be something else.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I love animals and dogs in particular. However, I don't want to be inconvenienced by the irresponsibility of other dog owners in Camp. I've had to listen to whining barking, barking dogs tied up at night, and in the woods while I'm hunting. The same dogs get untied after the owner gets back in Camp and go from camper to camper looking for handouts, marking everything that is laying around, and taking a dump who knows where. I would consider a $200 pair of hunting boots useless forever once I step in dog poo. I once slung a fist-sized rock towards a lab that was just hiking his leg to pee on my climber/pack that was leaning up against a tree. Not trying to hit him, but trying to keep him away from my equipment. One second later would have been too late. The owner did not like it, but I would rather have him mad at me than have a dog pee on my deer hunting equipment. We had another member who thought nothing of taking his dogs for a run behind his four wheeler to go 'check on his stands'.
I got out of that deal and I'm in charge of my own lease now. Dogs are not an issue now because there are no dogs in Camp.

antharper

Staff member
Probably the same members that hear a dog barking and think they have ran all the deer off !

antharper

Staff member
I’d rather be around most dogs than their owner !

transfixer

Back when I ran our club I had a Rottweiler that I took to camp 2 or 3 times, he was a calm dog, rather laid back and didn't bark without good reason, another member had a Australian shepherd mix that was also a calm laid back dog, we never had any issues . I generally kept mine cabled to my camper unless I was in camp, and both myself and the other dog owner cleaned up whatever presents the dogs left.

That being said I wouldn't want a yappy constantly barking dog in camp, or one that wasn't obedient to his owner.

DAVE

Why allow one person to disrespect all other members by bringing their stinking pet to camp?

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I love animals and dogs in particular. However, I don't want to be inconvenienced by the irresponsibility of other dog owners in Camp. I've had to listen to whining barking, barking dogs tied up at night, and in the woods while I'm hunting. The same dogs get untied after the owner gets back in Camp and go from camper to camper looking for handouts, marking everything that is laying around, and taking a dump who knows where. I would consider a $200 pair of hunting boots useless forever once I step in dog poo. I once slung a fist-sized rock towards a lab that was just hiking his leg to pee on my climber/pack that was leaning up against a tree. Not trying to hit him, but trying to keep him away from my equipment. One second later would have been too late. The owner did not like it, but I would rather have him mad at me than have a dog pee on my deer hunting equipment. We had another member who thought nothing of taking his dogs for a run behind his four wheeler to go 'check on his stands'.
I got out of that deal and I'm in charge of my own lease now. Dogs are not an issue now because there are no dogs in Camp.

stepping in dog poop makes a boot useless? its not battery acid. you need to come help us work cows a few days.

swamp hunter

We're a Dog Happy Deer camp.My neighbor has 17 dogs.
We get one bout everyday. Mine and my Pards dogs enjoy the company ..or have fits..
Either way they work it out.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
stepping in dog poop makes a boot useless? its not battery acid. you need to come help us work cows a few days.

:rofl: So true.

My avatar is at hunting camp with part of our thundering herd of wiener dogs. They don't bother anything, and they come in extremely handy when you have a tough blood trail. Turn the wiener dogs on it, and you'll find your deer in a hurry.

Wiener dog rabbit hunts are a hoot, too. They'll run rabbits like a beagle.

swamp hunter

Half my Lease is Cattle Country. Moon pies all over the woods.
Whole place smells like a 9000 acre Food Plot.

HermanMerman

:rofl: So true.

My avatar is at hunting camp with part of our thundering herd of wiener dogs. They don't bother anything, and they come in extremely handy when you have a tough blood trail. Turn the wiener dogs on it, and you'll find your deer in a hurry.

Wiener dog rabbit hunts are a hoot, too. They'll run rabbits like a beagle.

Man, I wouldn’t be able to keep steady knowing a wiener dog was running a rabbit my way. I would be giggling the entire time.

red neck richie

Don't mind dogs in camp at all. As long as they are friendly and stay in camp. If your dog is loose passing by my stand we have problems.