Smoke him off the roost?

Mexican Squealer

Gobbler is strutting and gobbling his head off on the roost...its legal shooting time. Do you shoot him in the tree or wait for fly down??:pop:

Big7

The Oracle
Use a low light scope and a 10/22.
Easier to hit on the roost.

Works every time.. So I'm told. :D

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
30 yrs ago when I was being taught how to kill a turkey I thought that was the only way it was done !

KentuckyHeadhunter

Never have never will. After fly-down I still wait until the time is right. Its an ethical harvest and hunt. Not a slaughter of "thunder chickens" while bragging about your skill as a turkey hunter. Just not for me.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Never have never will. After fly-down I still wait until the time is right. Its an ethical harvest and hunt. Not a slaughter of "thunder chickens" while bragging about your skill as a turkey hunter. Just not for me.

Amen.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I've never been close enough or in a situation for that oppurtunity.
I'm gonna say.....of course not! I would never do that!
But then if I was in the situation I'd probably blast him off that roost just as quick as I had the chance!
IDK. Hard to be honest about what you'd do until you were there in the situation.
If I have 2 Georgia birds by mid April.....and that's the way my 3rd bird presented himself then NO......cause I would definetly want more hunt time.
If it's May....and I don't have a bird yet.... I know me...I'd probably blast him off the roost quick!!!!

XIronheadX

If it was the last morning and I had nothing I wouldn't do it. I'm not out there to show off a turkey. I'm not starving yet. I'm out there to match wits maneuvering and calling. It's a personal challenge that I have to satisfy within myself. I let a bird go once after driving 105 miles, just because he didn't gobble before he came in.

Mexican Squealer

If it was the last morning and I had nothing I wouldn't do it. I'm not out there to show off a turkey. I'm not starving yet. I'm out there to match wits maneuvering and calling. It's a personal challenge that I have to satisfy within myself.

True dat. Bird I hope I have a chance to connect with this season loves to roost in a long leaf pine that is shorter than most and old, with a lot of big branches. I could have killed him most mornings strutting up and down the limb of that tree but he would always outdo me at flydown. Kicked my tail over and over.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
You guys are right on! It's a personal challenge for me too and I love it!
I'm just in it for the turkey meat too. I'm hungry!!!!!

ol bob

Been able to do it many times never have never will.

six

I'd never want to end it before it even started.

XIronheadX

True dat. Bird I hope I have a chance to connect with this season loves to roost in a long leaf pine that is shorter than most and old, with a lot of big branches. I could have killed him most mornings strutting up and down the limb of that tree but he would always outdo me at flydown. Kicked my tail over and over.

Had one 4 yrs ago gobble at 75 yards while we were standing next to a food plot at daybreak. We could see him. All we could do was ease down and crawl in some cover with our backs to him. He was roosted over thick stuff. It was a thrill to see it glide right in over my sons head and land 30 yards in front of us.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I ain't never shot a turkey

but I did hit one with my truck one time when it flew off a road bank in front of me

hope this helps