Does speed really kill?

Richard

In your opinion..whats the best speed/arrow weight combination for whitetails.
For example: an arrow at 500gns/250fps
Or an arrow that's lighter but faster .. what's your set up?

deast1988

425/450gr

In 280+ range

I shot 460gr @290fps An still failed on a shoulder. Grim Reaper fatal steel 125gr. Looked like it hit a tree trunk. Never heard a crash or found a speck of blood.

But generally to me 450gr settles vibrations, An tends to give me solid pass throughs on all but a striaght shoulder shot.

My Hoyt shoots 286fps with a FMJ finished weight 440grs

My Elite shot 292fps with a pierce 300 weight 460gr

I'll try the GoldTips through the Hoyt An see how they tune.

fountain

The only thing speed can hurt is the shooter. I'll give you some quick examples.

Shooting a light arrow set up trying to get all the speed you can. This will hinder penetration

Shooting a speed bow that is not forgiving. This will obviously lead to poor shots amongst other shooting troubles.

Speed isn't a bad thing and really shouldn't be an issue with bows of today. All give plenty adequate speed with today's technology. More often than not,they are forgiving as well.

I shot recurves/longbows for a good spell as well. Shooting heavy arrows slow was the name of the game and penetration wasn't an issue.

Speed isn't the answer to everything

I shot 460gr @290fps An still failed on a shoulder. Grim Reaper fatal steel 125gr. Looked like it hit a tree trunk. Never heard a crash or found a speck of blood.

Are you surprised? Lol. Please don’t open up the shoulder shot can of worms. You’re gonna fail on every shoulder shot you take from now until you’re no longer able to hunt I don’t care what setup you are shooting.

I myself prefer 480 grains are a blazing 250-260 fps

Ihunt

Mine is 405 grains at 255 FPS from a 53 lb bow.

Ihunt

IMO 7-8 grains of arrow weight per lb of DW.

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
Mine is 405 grains at 255 FPS from a 53 lb bow.

I'm also at 405 out of a 53lb bow. I think I'm at 265fps. Got a pass through on 4 this year including a 300lb Illinois beast. Fixed blade heads and good shot placement is the key in my opinion out of low poundage bows. I will take my super quiet "slow" bow over a speed bow any day :bounce:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
600 grains at 140 fps from a 50# selfbow will go slap through a deer with ease. A 1000+ grain fiberglass fish arrow with a string tied to it going probably 110 fps out of the same bow will go through two feet of water and a 30 lb carp. A 300 grain arrow going 180 fps out of the same bow will often fail to penetrate a deer rib. Speed and little toothpick arrows are way over rated. I'll take weight any day.

alligood729

435gr arrow, 62lbs, 28" draw, 285fps. A heavier arrow is better, a heavy fast arrow is better still.

BowanaLee

Heavy arrow going fast as you can comfortably is the ticket. I'm slinging 450 gr at about 320 fps on a Ram Cat Diamondback tipped missile. My Barnett has 3" groups at 60 yds. I know, its kinda like cheating ! :D

2bbshot

I like the heaviest arrow I shoot around 280FPS. Currently a 520 gr arrow and 278 FPS. I haven’t found a deer than can hold it yet.

Long Cut

There's arrow & momentum/KE calculators if you really want to get technical.

Like everything there's a bell curve with it to reach the best speed & KE your particular setup can produce.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There's arrow & momentum/KE calculators if you really want to get technical.

Like everything there's a bell curve with it to reach the best speed & KE your particular setup can produce.

I have shot enough deer over the last half-century in the real world with light/fast bullet firearms and heavy/slow bullet firearms, and the same scenario with arrows, to know that paper energy calculations aren't worth squat. A piece of paper is much easier to penetrate than a rib bone or scapula. Weight wins over speed every time, regardless of what the paper says.

Ihunt

I'm also at 405 out of a 53lb bow. I think I'm at 265fps. Got a pass through on 4 this year including a 300lb Illinois beast. Fixed blade heads and good shot placement is the key in my opinion out of low poundage bows. I will take my super quiet "slow" bow over a speed bow any day :bounce:

Yep. The younger generation thinks the arrow has to be going 300 FPS to kill anything. I can draw my bow back as slow as I need to and stop and hold it anywhere in the draw cycle.

red neck richie

Kinetic energy. You want the most energy at impact as possible for the distance you are shooting. Speed is not the only factor. Gravity, weight of set up and speed at release all play a role. Its a balancing act really. With modern bows and broadheads I find the most important factor to be accuracy. IMHO.

Last edited:
Yep. The younger generation thinks the arrow has to be going 300 FPS to kill anything. I can draw my bow back as slow as I need to and stop and hold it anywhere in the draw cycle.

The older generation cant draw a bow past about 50 lbs so your comment is irrelevant since you cant actually reach 300 fps without a crossbow.

::ke:
:D

ddd-shooter

Do not forget momentum in your calculations. It’s what keeps the energy down range.
For that, weight is king.

I like a heavy arrow, around 500. But I think anything over 400 is good for white tails.