Savannah River crappie limits

lampern

Anybody know why the bass limits are the same on the Savannah River lakes between SC and GA but the crappie limits are not?

:huh:

Thanks

Beagler

South Carolina 20 crappie a day and 8 inch size limit,
Georgia 30 crappie no size limit. Two different state two different state laws.

Beagler

Now we can’t be having the Bass Pro’s coming to the border lakes and having to go by 2 different set of laws can we.

Beagler

If your over 20 crappie just make sure you stay on the Georgia side of the lake. If caught by South Carolina DNR they’ll give you a ticket. Saying they were caught on th Ga side won’t hold water.

across the river

Ga licenses are valid on all border lakes

Yes but the bream and crappie limits differ and are enforced differently on each side's water. You can fish on the SC side with a GA license but have to follow the SC 20 fish 8 inch crappie limit or whatever it is if on that side. Bream and Crappie are considered to be local species so the thought is differ regulations on each side are applicable because not that many bream or crappie will swim from one side to a other. Neither wants to change what they have so they keep those the same as what they have statewide. Bass and striper swim all over the lake so those are the same.

lampern

Yes but the bream and crappie limits differ and are enforced differently on each side's water. You can fish on the SC side with a GA license but have to follow the SC 20 fish 8 inch crappie limit or whatever it is if on that side. Bream and Crappie are considered to be local species so the thought is differ regulations on each side are applicable because not that many bream or crappie will swim from one side to a other. Neither wants to change what they have so they keep those the same as what they have statewide. Bass and striper swim all over the lake so those are the same.

Thanks for the explanation

Beagler

Like across the river said,, also in 2012 Carolina changed their crappie regulation to what it is now in hope it would
Make a better crappie fishing. My Carolina friends were for the regs. Georgia dnr was asked if Ga was going to change our refs along the border lakes, the answer was no. They claim that changing the crappie regulation would not help. I know various groups around the state has tried to get size limits on crappie. I don’t know if it would help or hurt the crappie ,
I’ll leave that up to the biologists.

lampern

Alabama, Tennessee, NC, SC, VA and many other states use size limits on crappie to one degree or another.

But they are not a 'one size fits all' approach.

They can and do work.

Georgia dnr was asked if Ga was going to change our refs along the border lakes, the answer was no. They claim that changing the crappie regulation would not help

So the logical thing to do is sample the GA portions of, say, Strom Thurmond and Hartwell and compare them to the SC portions under the size limit.

Would be interesting to see if there are any differences in the crappie populations.

That would end any debate about different crappie regulations between SC and GA.

ThomasCobb123

Alabama, Tennessee, NC, SC, VA and many other states use size limits on crappie to one degree or another.
But they are not a 'one size fits all' approach.
They can and do work.
So the logical thing to do is sample the GA portions of, say, Strom Thurmond and Hartwell and compare them to the SC portions under the size limit.
Would be interesting to see if there are any differences in the crappie populations.
That would end any debate about different crappie regulations between SC and GA.
Best thing to do is just to stay away from Georgia.
Doesn't matter too much what it is...Georgia 'big shots' will always end up doing it wrong.
Jet Jockey had the right idea....get out of here.

sasmojoe

If your over 20 crappie just make sure you stay on the Georgia side of the lake. If caught by South Carolina DNR they’ll give you a ticket. Saying they were caught on th Ga side won’t hold water.

I don't believe this correct. It only applies to which side of lake you launch and take out from.

lampern

I don't believe this correct. It only applies to which side of lake you launch and take out from.

I don't think so at all.

If you are on the SC side with a crappie under 8 inches I'm pretty sure you will get a ticket from the SC folks.

If you look in the GA regulations it highlights in bold that sunfish and crappie limits differ on the Savannah River lakes.

Also the pickerel limits are different between GA and SC if that matters.