Mouth call for a beginner

Just got into turkey hunting last year and of course got hooked esp. when I killed my first gobbler on opening day. Yes I was extemely lucky but I had a seasoned vet calling for me. I've got a box call and still fine tuning with it but I think I need to learn a different call as well. So what would be a good mouth call to start off with.

grouperdawg

Mouth call is probably the hardest to learn for most , of the three most popular calls: box, pot, and mouth. Box call imo is the easiest to yelp on. There's an old joke that the mouth call was the best thing ever done for turkey conservation:)

If you want to learn a mouth call I would YouTube any of the scott Ellis videos. He explains the roll over of the yelp and how to do it on a mouth call better than anyone I've ever seen. Or buy his DVD

The only other advice i can give is that until you get really, really good, some mouth calls will work way better than others to achieve the roll over ( not the actual sound of the call ). For me, the woodhaven yellow venom and a bunch of the tom teasers just sing super easy and I can go clean, raspy, kee kee, etc. Some calls are super hard to run and end up in the trash but they might be magic for others.

If I find one that works really good I might buy ten of them, but expect variations even in that same model.

Then Get some turkey cds or sounds and practice matching cadences, cadence may be as important as the sound. I've heard plenty of real hens that you would swear was somebody failing at running a mouth call

Good luck!!

wvdawg

Staff member
Another vote for Pecker Wreckers - Kevin makes some fine calls - Hot Lips is my favorite as well.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
XT outdoors havoc

Core Lokt

Lear the mouth call. It frees up your hands... Don't start with one with severe/multiple cuts in the latex. No cut or 1 V to start.

Thanks guys! Ordered one of Pecker wreckers and will look into the others mentioned. Yea the main reason I want to learn it is to free up my hands

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

PappyHoel

How I learned - to and from work practice practice practice. Most reed calls are the same, some are a little more difficult than others. Once you get the technique down any call is easy.

Headshot17

I bought Hot Lips (Pecker Wrecker) at TurkeyRama last weekend. I'm not proficient by any means with a mouth call but it seemed pretty easy to use. Well at least it sounded good to me...
I also have Tom Teasers Butt Naked Hen that seems pretty easy. I had to trim some of the tape to prevent air from escaping around the call but after that it worked good.

DRBugman85

I bought 4 HS strut double reed at Wal-Mart and gave them to my 10 year old nephew 2 years ago and his now 12 and very good with any mouth call sold. He now has Woodhaven and can turkey talk with the best,he keeps it in he's mouth 24/7 this time of the year and I gave him a 30 year old Lynch box call and is very good with it (keep it simple) he saved the money and got a custom glass over slate pot call last week and has become a CALLER.His 870 20 ga kick GT is deadly with the Longbeard at 40 yards.

sowgabuckstalker

Yep, that hot lips is where its at! Ive only been turkey hunting a few years so still have "mastered" any mouth call. Right out of the box this hot lips by pecker wrecker was singing Dixie! :)

hrstille

There's tons of good calls out there. Buy several and start practicing. Some cuts are harder to run than other cuts. Combo cut is a good one to start with. Might as well go 3 reed. Like I said, get a handful and start calling. No two calls are the same, so find one YOU like and go with it.