Advice or help, please

Our Veteran gift hunt takes place this year starting on 16 February as we all arrive at the camp in Johnson County. This year's Veteran is a 21 yr Army fella who is now wheelchair bound. I managed to sidestep some of the issues with him trying to base out of the hunting cabin by making reservations for him, his wife and 14 yr old son at a place called the "Page House" located in Dublin, Ga.

I'm still trying to figure out a way for him to get his powered chair up the couple steps (3 or 4) and into the cabin for some meals and simple fellowship. I'm no carpenter, nor really savvy about what might work, but am thinking that a couple 3/4" 4' X 8' sheets of plywood could make an adequate "temporary" ramp to enable him to get up those stairs and into the cabin. (chair is 30" wide and about 725 pounds with him in it and he does not have a "simple" non-powered chair we might simply carry)

If there is anyone here that might be able to give some assistance or advice as to what we could do for this issue, I'm all ears. It's simply not practical for me to make two trips down (400+) miles each way or to even arrive a day early this year as someone is driving down with me (actually two fellas) and he cannot arrive prior to the 15th (coming from Wisconsin).

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

Mexican Squealer

Folding portable wheelchair ramp. Medical equipment dealers will have them and will likely let you borrow one for such a worthy cause.

snookdoctor

If it is possible for him to transfer to another chair without too much trouble, rent a chair, or buy a used one for him to use when needed. That would be cheaper than building an access, and can be used at multiple locations.

If it is possible for him to transfer to another chair without too much trouble, rent a chair, or buy a used one for him to use when needed. That would be cheaper than building an access, and can be used at multiple locations.

Thanks, but after a short discussion with our guest, this is not a good option. It was my 1st suggestion as well.

GeorgiaBob

If you use the plywood option, back the plywood with two or three 8' 2X4s screwed into the bottom side. You can trim the 2X4s to act as a stopper at the top step, and angle cut the bottom so the plywood sheet is on the ground. It would probably help if you put something on the plywood for traction (sand scattered over wet spray paint?)

Good luck with your choice.

And Thanks for helping Vets!

WayneB

@3 standard 7" high steps, ramp would be 21 ft long. @ 4 steps, 24 ft.
For a one-time event, you may be okay with ATV ramps, however if this is going to be a recurring thing, you may want to look at options like a graded stone slope or a proper lumber ramp.

Keep in mind the length of the ramp can be interrupted with a minimum 5'0" landing.

For a temporary ramp we once used 4 ft wide metal scaffold walkboard planks and cribbed underneath with lumber blocking.
Went right over steps and obstacles for the duration of need.

@3 standard 7" high steps, ramp would be 21 ft long. @ 4 steps, 24 ft.
For a one-time event, you may be okay with ATV ramps, however if this is going to be a recurring thing, you may want to look at options like a graded stone slope or a proper lumber ramp.

Keep in mind the length of the ramp can be interrupted with a minimum 5'0" landing.

For a temporary ramp we once used 4 ft wide metal scaffold walkboard planks and cribbed underneath with lumber blocking.
Went right over steps and obstacles for the duration of need.

Excellent ideas. This will likely be our only time dealing with this type issue. Good advice, thanks.

ryanh487

Use 2x10s nailed together on the underside with 2x4s. They'll be a lot stronger over distance than plywood, and cheaper too.

I wanted to thank all those who posted with suggestions. Unfortunately I have just received a call from our Veteran and he has an unexpected medical problem preventing him from going on the hunt now. Thanks again.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I wanted to thank all those who posted with suggestions. Unfortunately I have just received a call from our Veteran and he has an unexpected medical problem preventing him from going on the hunt now. Thanks again.

Hope all is well with him.