Forget Coyotes, we gotta control these snakes:)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'd love to have the hide off of one of those.

swamp hunter

We started out with the Whopping total of 1.3 Deer per square mile.
Then we re-introduced an Apex Predator..Cougars.
Now we have over 200 of them.
Then we got Big Honkin Snakes to finish the 1.3 deer per square Mile off .
Then we made Deer Leases 7 to 10 $$ Thousand per Member
No wonder I drive to just South of Valdosta to hunt.
But we got great fishing..so there's that..

shdw633

I'd love to have the hide off of one of those.

Go get you one. I think there is a time when they let people go try and catch those things down there. Get with Swamp Hunter, he can probably turn you on to one. :biggrin2:

Last Minute

They're thick down here... I have a buddy that's getting paid by South Florida water management to catch them. He'll camp out for a couple of days and he's been bringing back a dozen or so per trip. Lots of 12 to 13 footers lately...

Last Minute

Them cougars are a nightmare down here! There's a lot more of them then what they'll admit to and they are wreaking havoc on our wildlife. Just about eradicated hogs south of the caloosahatchee and the deer numbers have plummeted as well. Just last week fwc released anther cat in dinner island... Now we're even jumping them in glades on our airboats and fulltracks.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

JackSprat

In the article they didn't say what they did with the snake. It was yahoo news so what did you expect

Other sources reveal they made it spit up the deer, (that's why they could weigh it) and released the snake as it is part of a tracking project.

If you want to read some interesting stuff, look up about the Indians (from India) whose culture is tracking and hunting these snakes, and who were brought to Florida. These dudes could actually track the snakes, and knew how to lure them in.

Another footnote, is that the water control districts in Fl. are independent gov't agencies, and the SW Fl. Water Control District has taken a much more aggressive approach to the python issue than the State of Florida.

I haven't seen the latest results, but there was one project where they were training terriers to scent and track the snakes. Apparently they leave a significant scent trail.

swamp hunter

Interesting..
Why do you Hate Snakes. Without them you would be overrun buy Rats and Mice . They do just fine on the own. Not out to attack a 6 '3 Georgia guy with a Rifle walking down dim roads at dark.
Respect not Fear thru Knowledge..
I was never Afraid of Snakes cause they were everywhere when I was growing up..still are. 60 Years in Cottonmouth Central and not a bite yet.
Maybe you should stay on the Sidewalks...

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Them cougars are a nightmare down here! There's a lot more of them then what they'll admit to and they are wreaking havoc on our wildlife. Just about eradicated hogs south of the caloosahatchee and the deer numbers have plummeted as well. Just last week fwc released anther cat in dinner island... Now we're even jumping them in glades on our airboats and fulltracks.

Those cougars must be sneeky if y'all caint get a shot at them. Tried baitin' 'em?

well

"Just about eradicated hogs south of the caloosahatchee and the deer numbers have plummeted as well"

I don't hunt or even live close enough to give it a shot. But, if these snakes can control the hog population, much less "eradicate" them , then there is a plus side to these creatures.

s&r